PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sullivan arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBruinz said:
I am awestruck at how you all have found him guilty before he's even gone to trial.

All the things listed are misdemeanors except maybe the possession. If its his first offense, then, at most, he will get a slap on the wrist and fines for running the stop signs, not wearing his seatbelt, and for violating the sound ordinance. Whoopdee do. Lets also ignore that it was reported that Sullivan was fully complient with the officer's instructions. Including notifying the officer that there was a weapon in the car.

Now, one other thing to keep in mind. Even in this day and age, there are still places in the south where racism against blacks is prevalent. Now, I am not saying that is the case here, but it doesn't make sense for Sullivan to consent to the search if he knew that there was marijuana in the car.

Damn people. You whine and complain about guys like Borges and Cafardo being vultures. You are no better than them with the comments you've been making about Sullivan in this thread.

I have to agree.

The majuana was less then an ounce acording to the story, so it is possible that it was someone elses and went unnoticed in the car.

He turned over the weapon, and there was not an illeagal weapons charge, so he must have had permit to have it in his car.

The other charges, well loud music at 4am is a nuisance, but it is not throw him off the team kinda problem. The no seatbelt thing is more a safety issue, and he deserves a stern talk from the coaches as well as running the two stop signs. But to be fair, at 4 am, I have run stop signs and lights because of the lack of traffic.

Quick! Trade him to the Bengals! ;)

Seriously though, I agree with others that in NFL terms, this really is a minor blip. He wasn't charged with being under the influence, and its highly plausible the pot could have belonged to the old college buddy he was driving around with.

Wasn't a roach found in Randy Moss's car after he hit a traffic cop? Nothing came of that, nothing will come of this.

Certainly not an ideal start for fatty, but I don't think we need to railroad him out of town just yet.

14thDragon said:
The majuana was less then an ounce acording to the story, so it is possible that it was someone elses and went unnoticed in the car.

Yeah, maybe Ty Law's cousin had borrowed the car earlier.

Mr. Sullivan. Welcome to the organizations bad side. The fans will take **** about you, the coaches and personel will be giving you a harder time. He comes in out of shape..okay lets get him a better playing weight and increase his endurance. Then he goes out, gets caught with mariijuana, a gun in his car, running through stop signs, disturbing neighborhoods. I would honestly rather have Bethel than him..at least Bethel was usually in shape.. looked good .. great speed and only problems were maybe passion for the game, maturity at first but he turned the maturity around.

Remix6:

Bethel was a goner, the Pats were going to trade him to anybody for anything. That is what they were doing all offseason, trying to peddle him. He talked back to his coaches, and didn't fit in. He wasn't going to make it to camp because Bioli wasn't gonna let it happen. He probably will contribute in New Orleans, to some degree.

Sullivan would have had trouble making the team in the first place. The pot thing doesn't mean he will get in trouble with the law if he has a good lawyer, but he is not even a tenth the player that Ty Law was and this incident does nothing to help him make the team, innocent or guilty. The media will have a field day with this, and it hurts the squeaky clean image of the Pats.

Sullivan was going to have trouble passing the conditioning test and making the team anyway. This complicated it further for him, regardless of his guilt. He is going to have to be more motivated and more energetic and more passionate about football than the guys behind him on the roster, or he'll get cut. A distraction like this is surely a strike against him.

PatsWorldChamps said:
Yeah, maybe Ty Law's cousin had borrowed the car earlier.

Yeah, well I am sure the NFL and police will be issuing a drug test. If he fails then he is trouble. But I have been in the wrong place at the wrong time myself and gotten the short end of the stick.

The rest of it was on the level of stupid, not really anything terrible.

no Bethel had a bettter shot at roster this year than last because i think he can beat out Childress/Stone or Stone at very least since. And it was a new offseason..he was actually healthy this year in offseason

Remix6:

With Bioli already having decided that Bethel was a goner, and then trading him to whoever would take him, I don't think he can make the team. He was not in the plans, was being peddled, and is now gone. How does someone make the team when they are being traded for the whole offseason? He was a goner, and is a goner, in the eyes of Bioli.

Remix 6 said:
no Bethel had a bettter shot at roster this year than last because i think he can beat out Childress/Stone or Stone at very least since. And it was a new offseason..he was actually healthy this year in offseason

Ya Bethel had so much going for him, all that was left was to learn how to catch the ball more than ten times a year.

You can't trump up charges on Sully that the police didn't. There is no report that he was under the influence, illegally armed, or a dope addict.

Last edited by a moderator:
14thDragon said:
I have to agree.

...He turned over the weapon, and there was not an illeagal weapons charge, so he must have had permit to have it in his car...

How many players in the BB/Pioli regime have been allowed to stay on team after an arrest involving drugs and a gun (legal or not)? I think 0. The combination of the legally permitted gun and the dope charge is what will absolutely make Sullivan a goner most likely before training camp.

groundgame said:
How many players in the BB/Pioli regime have been allowed to stay on team after an arrest involving drugs and a gun (legal or not)? I think 0. The combination of the legally permitted gun and the dope charge is what will absolutely make Sullivan a goner most likely before training camp.

Drug charge? Ty Law. You come off as is him having a legal gun is the worst thing in the world. How can his not breaking the law with a firearm be combined with a substance that is against the law? Those two things added together do not make the situation any worse. This is a free country, he can have a gun legally.

I do not know why you assume that the NFL/NEP releases all info on drug test resuslts. It is just the opposite. The NFLPA is very protective. So your point is rather how many do you personally know of, not how many have.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Sully will be gone before camp. It is ok to say that is your opinion, not based on any evidence or fact.

Digger44 said:
Let's put the breaks on for a second. I agree with all the anger that this has caused in this thread, however there have been many assumptions made. I am not defending Sully at all. Just think of the following:

1.) Many are saying he is on thin ice or this is the last straw. How do we know that is the case with BB?

2.) Many are indicating that he is an established offender. Do we know this to be th actual case? How do we know that this wasn't his first offense?

3.) The article did not say whether or not he was under the influence of MJ. Posession was because a small bag was in the car. Granted, he should have not been in the car with that bag there, but we don't know for sure he is a user.

4.) Wasn't our beloved Ty Law found in the presence of an illegal substance? He still has gone on without being shipped to the CFL.

5.) Maybe this is the wakeup call that Sully needed! I would hate to be in his shoes when our FO, BB, SP, and BK get a hold of him.

Just a different perspective.
It's one time...the ax MAY fall fast or maybe as you said a wake up call.
It certainly is a strike against him..bad PR at the least..but I doubt they will give up on him this quick...We don't know about past offenses..or all the details..so..maybe a mulligan here...BUT..maybe as was said a wakeup call..hopefully!!!! Yes Ty haad his brother in law's bag that had some drugs in it..He does need to learn...so hopefully this will all pass by TC..unfortunately, the media like "brains of goo" Felger and others wil play this big and NOT help the situation.

Like Pats726 says, it is a strike against him. I believe he won't be cut until a due process occurs, but this is one more thing hanging over his head. It is to some degree a violation of Bioli's trust, no matter how insignificant it turns out to be after high priced lawyers get involved.

His biggest battle will still be to beat out more motivated players at his position, and this just doesn't do anything to help his cause.

Legally, I doubt he gets in any real trouble whatsoever when it is said and done. But I could care less, I just want him to contribute to the team, and if he doesn't, I ain't worried about him or his $7.4 million.

First Round "Bust"?

To be fair to Sullivan or a player in the future who is accused of breaking the law, the Pats will check the facts before taking any action. But if the allegations are true, Sully can cancel his airline flight to training camp.

BTW, the town where Sullivan was pulled over (Griffin, GA) is about 10 miles from my home.

It will take two years before we have any idea what is true or what the lawyer covers up. The NFL won't even take action until the final verdict is rendered in like 2008.

I think Sullivan will be gone before then. $7.4 million, Bro!

Digger44 said:
Drug charge? Ty Law. You come off as is him having a legal gun is the worst thing in the world. How can his not breaking the law with a firearm be combined with a substance that is against the law? Those two things added together do not make the situation any worse. This is a free country, he can have a gun legally.

Are you saying that NFL teams are run like a true democracy? Teams like the Patriots are run with an iron fist and the fact that a gun (legal or not) was present during the arrest will add demerits that will not favor Sullivan.

The gun, if legal, is not the issue. The whole incident, and subsequent media frenzy, and the fact that fans like us are all talking about it adds up to a strike against Sullivan. Bioli doesn't want to have to answer these kinds of questions all thru next year, and Sullivan may get cut just for not being able to pass the conditioning test at this point. He is on thinner ice than he was before.

groundgame said:
Are you saying that NFL teams are run like a true democracy? Teams like the Patriots are run with an iron fist and the fact that a gun (legal or not) was present during the arrest will add demerits that will not favor Sullivan.

I don't know how the heck you drew out of what I posted "a democracy." You have been spending why too much time in the political forum. I said nothing of the sort. You are dead wrong about demerits for carying a gun. 1.) It was legal. 2.) For many players it is a way of life. 3.) Georgia didn't have a problem with it so why should you? 4.) The article never expresses that he was hit with a gun charge. Therefore he did not break the law. 5.) No organization has any business criticising a player for upholding the law. 6.) Why would the Pats care if he legally had a gun?

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
The gun, if legal, is not the issue. The whole incident, and subsequent media frenzy, and the fact that fans like us are all talking about it adds up to a strike against Sullivan. Bioli doesn't want to have to answer these kinds of questions all thru next year, and Sullivan may get cut just for not being able to pass the conditioning test at this point. He is on thinner ice than he was before.

I disagree. I think it is all based upon his attitude when he is confronted by NE. He could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. If he comes in with a truly apologetic attitude and a work ethic to get stuff done, he will be fine. I see Sully differently than others. Was he fat and lazy in NO? Yes, he was. Did he have a staff to develope him into a star? Nope. One can only be as good as his mentor. Only a few slip through and become better. If he gets motivated, gets coached, and gets in shape, we could have a solid DLman. He was projected as Pro Bowl material. If anybody can do it, its NE.

I am sure that he has a chance to make the team if he is motivated and in shape, that's why they traded for him. After this incident, however, they will be more likely to cut him if he is not motivated and in shape. They don't need the distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News