PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots Unofficial 2023 53-Man Roster

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I equate it to when BB cut Patrick Pass to light a fire under him. I think he'd do that to Zappe to send a message. If not, so be it.

I know people have liked what Ekuale showed, which is why I have the Pats bringing him back. But I think it's telling that BB was looking to add someone else on the Interior DLine with McCall. That's why I went the direction I did. I'm not sure that another team would claim him.
Yup, a fine message. The patriots don't want you, so sign should sign somewhere else as a #2 or #3 QB, if ANY team will take you.

I equate it to when BB cut Patrick Pass to light a fire under him. I think he'd do that to Zappe to send a message. If not, so be it.

I know people have liked what Ekuale showed, which is why I have the Pats bringing him back. But I think it's telling that BB was looking to add someone else on the Interior DLine with McCall. That's why I went the direction I did. I'm not sure that another team would claim him.
Zappe has real NFL experience and did decently in it when the games counted. It’s crazy to cut Zappe and assume that no one out there would consider him for a back up role.

If Mac gets hurt, which is a very clear possibility behind a fragile offensive line, we’d be completely screwed. We can make do with Zappe for a few games, at least.

Zappe has real NFL experience and did decently in it when the games counted. It’s crazy to cut Zappe and assume that no one out there would consider him for a back up role.

If Mac gets hurt, which is a very clear possibility behind a fragile offensive line, we’d be completely screwed. We can make do with Zappe for a few games, at least.

Every team already had back-up QBs. Feel free to show the team that doesn't or that would consider Zappe an Upgrade especially after many accounts feel like he's regressed. Hey.. I could be wrong.. Never said I was perfect. But I feel it's a Patrick Pass type situation. That he needs a fire lit.

People love to hate him, but Bryant well over Wade. Bryant will be on the 53.
Surprisingly Bryant has look solid in coverage.. however I won't get to ahead of myself.. he will continue to be every opposing QBs favorite target this season.

Definitely agree, Zapp is what he is, a back up in the NFL. No shame in that. He can make a decent living that way.if he career trajectory went as such. This O line would even get Mahomes killed if he had to play behind it.

Surprisingly Bryant has look solid in coverage.. however I won't get to ahead of myself.. he will continue to be every opposing QBs favorite target this season.
Bryant is only good in ZONE coverage. Considering the amount of MAN coverage the Pats play, he's not a fit.

Yup, a fine message. The patriots don't want you, so sign should sign somewhere else as a #2 or #3 QB, if ANY team will take you.

You clearly missed the message that Belichick sent to Patrick Pass. Did you actually READ Patriot's Reign?

A note. Kody Russey could also be headed to the Active/IR. Meaning the Pats would keep him in lieu of a player and then re-sign someone else until Russey is Healthy.

I have a feeling we will go with 2 kickers .
And for remaining 2 spots it should be someone external across OT and Myles Bryant/Wade.
You nailed it. Bill keeps both Folk and the big leg rookie.

We need to make a trade for a legitimate OT. I say Joshua Bledsoe to Detroit for Germain Ifedi or Matt Nelson. They need a safety.

In the Evan Lazar Patriots.com article above, he states the Patriots, going into week 17 last season against the Dolphins, were playing man coverage 37.9% of the time. That’s one of the higher rates in the league, but 62.1% means a whole lot of zone is being played by the Patriots as well.

Bryant isn’t a good man cover matchup - he’s small and a step slow. But, he’s a good player who adequately fills a role for a team which at the end of last season was predominantly a zone defense.

I think Myles Bryant might be the biggest benefactor of Devin McCourty’s retirement. It might change his role in known passing downs, where the Pats do run a high percentage of man coverage, to more of a centerfielder role where his football knowledge and instincts will increase his interception total in his 4th season going into free agency.

We need to make a trade for a legitimate OT. I say Joshua Bledsoe to Detroit for Germain Ifedi or Matt Nelson. They need a safety.
If Nick Folk is on the 53 for game one, his $1.69 million dollar salary becomes guaranteed for the season. That’s a whole lot of money for an insurance policy in case the kicker you traded a 6th rounder to move up in the 4th to pick should flop. Especially considering that Bill has twice in the last few seasons cut Folk in the last cutdown and stashed him in the PS for a week or two to avoid guaranteeing his contract.

If they're going to but Folk, I would expect it to be today. They may indeed keep 2.

If you read all the speculation re the initial 53 roster, you see the same somewhat narrow range of of questions/options we are left with at this point. If you step back and look at what the roster is likely to be, however these relatively few choices fall, what do you see? What is the pattern of strengths, weaknesses, depth or lack of depth, upside, and so on? To me, this is just a badly constructed roster, reflecting several years of bad performance on the part of the GM in anticipating needs and drafting/trading/dropping/retaining players. We have two NFL tight ends and no backups, and one of those is not a tight end at all vis-a-vis the responsibilities traditionally signed to that position. The WR's are a bunch of maybe OK younger players and a couple of creaky old fellas unlikely to last the season. The RB backups are marginal. There is a baffling imbalance in the quality of the offense vs the coach's son's defense. We don't really know whether our #1 QB is really up to the job. Our backup QB has stunk out the joint this preseason. We probably can't take on the intriguing Cunningham, because our roster is so clogged up with maybes, we-don't-knows, old binkies, situations in which we must keep Mutt because though he's not very good, he just might be better than Jeff who might not be any good either but we don't know what to do so..... 'round and 'round. The defense is much ballyhooed, but if you look closely at what they really were last year and at some worrisome issues this preseason - have they looked competent against the run, are the linebackers really adequate, how did they do last year against worthy opponents, which of that cloud of so-so CB's is going to work out, and so on. How good is the defense really, and can they - could any? - defense compensate for an offense so weak.

I have been a Pats fan since they were the Boston Patriots. I remember as a kid sitting at the breakfast table listening to some cigarette-voiced guy interview Babe Parilla. I remember Jim Nance, Gino Cappelletti (I still miss him on the radio.). Unlike fans whose experience has spanned mostly the Golden Brady Years, I know from direct experience that the team is not always good, not guaranteed to be competitive re the Championship nor maybe even in its own division. Part of being a fan is the pleasure of hopefully reading the tea leaves as a team develops in its inevitable down times, speculating, as in this thread, as to what might transpire on the upside. Those are the pleasures available to us in such times as these. We will inevitably err at such times on the side of optimism on occasion, and when we say to ourselves, "Hey now, this might just all work out; all this stuff might just fall right," that is what we are doing. This roster has few stars and woeful backups. It's fine to see, even to imagine (This really is all just for fun, after all. Right?), instances where hope is in order, but such happy speculation has to be against a back-drop of honest evaluation. This is a .500 team, it seems to me, and I don't think even that is guaranteed.

I bet the kicker situation is really difficult for Bill. The veteran he trusts. But can’t kick off adequately. Can only make kicks less than 50 yards.

So he traded 120 and 186 to the Jets for 112 and gets a rookie with a big leg. Great kickoffs. Much better at long field goals.

But still a rookie with not quite the accuracy of the steady, reliable Folk.

He wants to keep both. But is that realistic?

This roster has few stars and woeful backups.
Not true with the defense, which is strong.

The offense needed an infusion of talent, esp at tackle, TE, and WR. Got one of three squared away in the draft.

Last year we had the second oldest roster at offense. Can’t say that it has changed much.

Not true with the defense, which is strong.

The offense needed an infusion of talent, esp at tackle, TE, and WR. Got one of three squared away in the draft.

Last year we had the second oldest roster at offense. Can’t say that it has changed much.
Yep. You have a point re backups on defense. No question. This fact does highlight the issue, however, of the inexplicable asymmetry in talent offense vs defense, so this embarrassment of riches on defense is not unalloyedly good news.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back