PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Official Unofficial 53-Man Roster: Pre-Season Edition

And not realistic. Everyone needs to realize that Zappe is going to be on the team this year. Anyone that doesn't, hasn't gotten a pulse on this team.
Gotta a lot of short-term thinkers out there.....

Developing QBs is a good business to be in.

My third and final 53 man projection...

OFFENSE
(24)
QB (2) – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Hoyer (PS)
LT (1) – Trent Brown, Justin Herron (PS)
LG (2) – Cole Strange, Arlington Hambright
C (2) – David Andrews, Kody Russey
RG (2) – Michael Onwenu, Drew Desjarlais
RT (1) – Yodny Cajuste, Isaiah Wynn (Trade)
TE (3) – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi,
RB (3) – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, Kevin Harris,
HB (2) – JJ Taylor, Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery (IR)
BIG WR (2) – DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne,
FAST WR (2) – Nelson Agholor, Tre Nixon, Tyquan Thornton (IR),
SLOT WR (2) – Jakobi Meyers, Kristian Wilkerson,

DEFENSE
(24)
DT (4) – Christian Barmore, Davon Godchaux, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis,
DE (2) – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts,
SLB (2) – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings,
MLB (2) – Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche
WLB (2) – Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson, Cameron McGrone (PS),
SS (5) – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, Brenden Schooler, Cody Davis,
FS (1) – Devin McCourty, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS)
BIG CB (3) – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Shaun Wade, Devin Hafford (PS)
SLOT CB (3) – Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones

SPECIAL TEAMS
(5)
K (1) – Nick Folk,
P (1) – Jake Bailey,
LS (1) – Joe Cardona
GUN (2) – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel

Not sure if this is true. 2007, he cut Garret Mills, a 4th round TE who got claimed by the Vikings, IIRC
I know that Wikipedia isn't exactly the world's most reliable source, but it says that Mills was drafted by NE in the fourth round (pick 106 overall) of the 2006 draft, he didn't see any playing time in the regular season and was placed on IR in the middle of his rookie 2006 season. He was released on September 1st, 2007. That is in agreement with my memory also, it was the beginning of the following season that he was released.

According to my admittedly poor memory, BB was trying to do one of his “cut temporarily and quickly re-add to the 53” roster gymnastics like he does every year at the 53 deadline and the Vikings unexpectedly quickly claimed him, causing a bit of bad blood. ;)

Last edited:
I know that Wikipedia isn't exactly the world's most reliable source, but it says that Mills was drafted by NE in the fourth round (pick 106 overall) of the 2006 draft, he didn't see any playing time in the regular season and was placed on IR in the middle of his rookie 2006 season. He was released on September 1st, 2007. That is in agreement with my memory also, it was the beginning of the following season that he was released.

According to my admittedly poor memory, BB was trying to do one of his “cut temporarily and quickly re-add to the 53” roster gymnastics like he does every year at the 53 deadline and the Vikings unexpectedly quickly claimed him, causing a bit of bad blood. ;)
Their coach at the time Brad Childress was a complete a-hole

May be a bit of a crazy take, but we should hold firm on a second for Wynn. Sweat Jerry out and see if the crazy bastard is dumb enough to do a second and absorb the entire cap hit (which I believe they can).

Second rounder and 10M in cap space towards 2023 would be amazing.

Hes was the 4th qb taken. Dumping a 4th rd pick after 1 camp and 3 preseason games is stupid.
Drafting him in the 4th round was stupid. What are we going to do with this guy? You keep 3 quarterbacks and Zappe will be inactive for 17 weeks. Backup quarterback maybe in 2023? We spent a 4th round pick on grooming a backup quarterback for possibly the 2023 season. The team has major problems at multiple position groups... this is not good use of roster space. Developing a quarterback is good business only when he has NFL-caliber potential and it's a team need... that's a negative on both.

Maye not shocking but an indictment of the roster. Of course we'll hear about how "valuable" these players will be on special teams, which other than the players touching the football with their feet, are becoming less impactful every season.

Drafting him in the 4th round was stupid. What are we going to do with this guy? You keep 3 quarterbacks and Zappe will be inactive for 17 weeks. Backup quarterback maybe in 2023? We spent a 4th round pick on grooming a backup quarterback for possibly the 2023 season. The team has major problems at multiple position groups... this is not good use of roster space. Developing a quarterback is good business only when he has NFL-caliber potential and it's a team need... that's a negative on both.

Maye not shocking but an indictment of the roster. Of course we'll hear about how "valuable" these players will be on special teams, which other than the players touching the football with their feet, are becoming less impactful every season.
You obviously have not been following the Patriots this summer as two of those players are LaBryan Ray and Demarcus Mitchell.

Basically you think Zappe sucks and you don't agree with drafting Qbs.

We have nothing to discuss.

Right, because we certainly haven't had any really impactful UDFA over the years such as:

Malcolm Butler
JC Jackson
Jonathan Jones
David Andrews
Randall Gay
Brandon Bolden
Adam Butler
Jacoby Meyers
Jacob Johnson
Gunner Olzewski

You obviously have not been following the Patriots this summer as two of those players are LaBryan Ray and Demarcus Mitchell.
I think I missed the Demarcus Mitchell train. Has he really done enough to make the 53? It seems like the media has been talking about him making it...It seems only recently I've heard his name.

Last edited:
I think I missed the Demarcus Mitchell train. Has he really done enough to make the 53? It seems like the media has been talking about him making it...It seems only recently I've heard his name.
I've heard about his hype picking up after the Carolina game Zuma. I was a little surprised, but now, he's also playing on ST and showing a presence on the defensive side of the ball.

It is like posters here think that Bill intentionally keeps crappy veterans and gets rid of the next superstar rookie, when time and time again, the rookie binky everyone wants to keep gets cut and either ends up on the practice squad or working at Dunkin.
No, it’s just that Bentley and Wise have been sustained mediocrity and I would like to move away from it.

Jesus, do we need to call another Whambulance in this forum? Are you upset that Tommy has a lot of stress at home?

This is probably Hoyer’s last year. They recognized the need to develop a guy who could be a reliable backup by 2023. They chose a guy early on day 3 who had a ridiculously successful senior year and who has several qualities that they covet in their QBs. It’s hilarious to read people stating that Zappe is a bust/was a wasted pick after three preseason games, when we watched three high first round QBs look not-ready-for-prime-time in 2021 and a 4th who wasn’t good enough to get off of the bench.

The same people who are now *****ing and moaning about taking adevelopmental back up QB with a mid round pick would be *****ing next off-season, if Hoyer retires, that Bill didn’t plan ahead.

“What happens if Mac gets injured? What are you gonna do then, Bill? Huh?! Were you too busy nepotisming to realize that your team needs a reliable backup? I miss Tommy.”

4 undrafted free agents may make the 53 this year. That more than makes up for a “wasted” fourth round pick. Feel better now?

Hes was the 4th qb taken. Dumping a 4th rd pick after 1 camp and 3 preseason games is stupid.

He also wasn't worthy of being the 4th QB drafted or of being picked in the 4th round either.

No, it’s just that Bentley and Wise have been sustained mediocrity and I would like to move away from it.
But what if they are better than the alternatives?

Sorry if this was previously posted but Anderson? I'm liking Ja Jones, Sherman and Strange on there. Per PFF. I do admit Anderson has played "ok" in camp and pre-season but my fear is that will translate to a spot on the 53...I prefer a younger / faster DL.

View attachment 44824

Myboy Sherman should still have never, Ever, EVER been drafted ahead of Trey Smith... But he hasn't played himself off the roster this year either...
I have him & Drew Dejarlais slightly ahead of Hambone & Chasin' Hinds for the 2 backup Guard spots on the 53...

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back