PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Official 2023 Patriots Roster Cutdown Thread (final roster in opening post)

Easy.

1. Because hes better than JJ and Strong
Really. I now don't think so. He is just more experienced than those 2.
2. When healthy (which is this issue) has produced at an NFL level for many years- see proven
Damned right he's proven. Proven to be pretty damned unproductive. The guy hasn't had over 200 yds in receptions since freakin' 2016. He has 4 TD's in his ENTIRE 9 year career The last 2 years he was actually on the field he played 16 games for the Jete and had 103 yds rushing and a whopping 90 receiving yds. In 2021 with NO he had 14 games with 40yds rushing and 95 receiving yds. Not in a game, but in a SEASON where he dressed 14 times

Hey, RW I just looked these stats up. If someone else mentioned them (and I'm sure they did) I wasn't paying attention because I previously thought he was our answer to the 3rd down RB gap we've had since White went down. After looking this up, WHY would I think Ty's the answer. And in those nine years he's played over 8 games only 4 times. The Ty Montgomery that we've envisioned last played in 2016 and hasn't been seen since.

Now I don't even want him on the PS
3. They need a 3rd down passing back RB
Agreed, but for now Elliot and Rham are both decent to good receivers and JJ as a change of pace until someone better comes along.
4. They need someone if Rham or Zeke go down

If there is someone better than Montgomery available i'd be happy to add him.
Well I'm sure we are scouring the FA RB's that are out there. Rex is still looking for a job, how about him?

Go look at guys like Hill, Waddle, Devonte Smith and others. Thornton is actually built better than them..

You mean Tyreek Hill? He's short but built like a fire hydrant.

Here we go @IcyPatriot

So, what became of J.J. Taylor after he was waived? I was hoping he'd be back in some capacity.

Damned right he's proven. Proven to be pretty damned unproductive. The guy hasn't had over 200 yds in receptions since freakin' 2016. He has 4 TD's in his ENTIRE 9 year career The last 2 years he was actually on the field he played 16 games for the Jete and had 103 yds rushing and a whopping 90 receiving yds. In 2021 with NO he had 14 games with 40yds rushing and 95 receiving yds. Not in a game, but in a SEASON where he dressed 14 times

Hey, RW I just looked these stats up. If someone else mentioned them (and I'm sure they did) I wasn't paying attention because I previously thought he was our answer to the 3rd down RB gap we've had since White went down. After looking this up, WHY would I think Ty's the answer. And in those nine years he's played over 8 games only 4 times. The Ty Montgomery that we've envisioned last played in 2016 and hasn't been seen since.

Agreed, but for now Elliot and Rham are both decent to good receivers and JJ as a change of pace until someone better comes along.

Well I'm sure we are scouring the FA RB's that are out there. Rex is still looking for a job, how about him?
Harris should be the rb3 until and unless we find someone better.

Really? Montgomery CANNOT stay on the field and hasn't produced **** over the last few years. Is he a better returner than Marcus Jones? I don't THINK so. I think he COULD be a decent 3rd down back for us, WHEN he can prove he can stay on the field which he hasn't over the last 2 or 3 years he's been here. And it was reported that JJ has improved his pass protection as good as someone his size can be. Sure he's not ideal but he can do 2 of the three objectives (run and catch) fairly well in fact BETTER than Montgomery has shown, It would be up to the OC to create plays that would protect JJ from pass blocking that often. The kid WILL put his body on the line and actually BE on the field. just sayin'
JJ is an easy guy to root for and in the last two preseason games he showed an element of quickness and elusiveness that they otherwise lacked at RB. I wouldn’t have been upset if he had made the 53. I also never said that I trusted Monty as our 3rd RB. I was merely explaining why they likely chose him over Taylor. When he has been able to suit up (not often, I know), Montgomery has been a high level special teamer and a willing and effective blocker on passing downs. Both of those abilities are critically important to head coach and Taylor checks neither box.

Last year and this year (briefly) in training camp, Montgomery has stood out to basically every beat writer as someone who consistently makes plays in the passing game when on the field, so the opportunity for him to make a positive impact is real. Having said that, he has shown no ability to stay on the field in recent years and I obviously would prefer a vet who has a history of consistent production and durability as a third down back.

I’m not a fan of JJ or Montgomery but the fascination with Ty Montgomery on here is blowing my mind. in his prime he was a decent player. He’s far past his prime.

So, what became of J.J. Taylor after he was waived? I was hoping he'd be back in some capacity.
It looks like both sides are moving on. The Patriots excused him from practice yesterday (despite having Harris and Montgomery there) and a “source” (obviously his agent) told Karen Guregian that they will look for a “fresh start.”

I’m not a fan of JJ or Montgomery but the fascination with Ty Montgomery on here is blowing my mind. in his prime he was a decent player. He’s far past his prime.
Is there that much fascination? Even people like me, who like him, agree that he has to stay healthy on the field in order for him to ever do anything.

It looks like both sides are moving on. The Patriots excused him from practice yesterday (despite having Harris and Montgomery there) and a “source” (obviously his agent) told Karen Guregian that they will look for a “fresh start.”

I saw that report and was wondering what it meant for him, exactly. I understand his frustration but at this point, since he cleared waivers, his best bet is being on a practice squad. The Pats practice squad is as good as any and perhaps better, since he knows the system and would stand a better chance of being elevated. (I'm assuming the Patriots wanted him back on the PS.) He seems to be taking quite a risk just floating out there.

That can be accomplished by merely opening a phone book, closing one's eyes, flipping the pages and pointing a finger...
If it was so easy please apply for a job at 1 Patriot Place reporting to BB

Is there that much fascination? Even people like me, who like him, agree that he has to stay healthy on the field in order for him to ever do anything.
When he’s healthy when’s the last time he did anything? It’s been 4 years since he had 200 all purpose yards. His best season was 7 years ago and he had 800 all purpose yards and 3 TD’s. This is the guy we can’t wait to see healthy?

If it was so easy please apply for a job at 1 Patriot Place reporting to BB

Have one of their 13 special teams coaches pick me up at Logan; that way I can stop on the way there at Greenhills bakery on Adams Corner in Dorchestah for a loaf of their Irish brown bread, almost - Almost - as good as me own Ma used to make us...

How does the salary for Zappe work going from a rookie deal to the practice squad?

no word on perkins being cut and not on the roster what i've read so far

Did he magically disappear? Greenkeeper?

HUH? You weren't paying attention.
Perkins was cut on 8/29 and signed to the PS on 8/30. It was announced on Twitter and on Patriots.com

How does the salary for Zappe work going from a rookie deal to the practice squad?
It's not his rookie year, so it's toast. PS gets a set about. (14K?) per week. They only get pay bumps if they get elevated on game day or signed to the 53 man roster.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back