PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spotlight on Josh McDaniels Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes we do. For example, some people initially tried to give credit to McDaniels for yesterday's 51 yd bomb, when it was actually just Moss and Cassel improvising from the play, which was after 2 extremely predictable runs for no gain. In fact, our play yesterday was so predictable the Chiefs were stacking 9 in the box on first and second down frequently against us.

Knowing 1 or two plays is not "Knowing", sorry.

Also, keep bringing up 05 all you want, the key piece is Brady. As we saw with Branch and Givens 01-04, Brady can keep the show going even with average talent.

You were the one talking about the HOF talent, not me. Your argument was wrong. Or, to put it in a manner more favorable to you, you really were only talking about 1 HOF player.

What makes you dismiss so easily the fact that Brady has been making McDaniels look a lot better than he actually is as a coordinator?

Because it's not a fact, it's just your opinion, and one that doesn't seem to be shared by BB or GMs around the league, who have shown interest in interviewing McDaniels for a head coaching job.

Last edited:
Because it's not a fact, it's just your opinion, and one that doesn't seem to be shared by BB or GMs around the league, who have shown interest in interviewing McDaniels for a head coaching job.

Just because lemmings try to pick off anyone associated with the Patriots and Belichick doesn't mean that individual is intrinsically talented.

Look at Eric Mangini, the guy sucked as a defensive coordinator for us and then became the youngest head coach ever, so what? Those two facts are not related at all in terms of how good he is/was as a defensive coordinator for us.

Sometimes we do. For example, some people initially tried to give credit to McDaniels for yesterday's 51 yd bomb, when it was actually just Moss and Cassel improvising from the play, which was after 2 extremely predictable runs for no gain. In fact, our play yesterday was so predictable the Chiefs were stacking 9 in the box on first and second down frequently against us.

Also, keep bringing up 05 all you want, the key piece is Brady. As we saw with Branch and Givens 01-04, Brady can keep the show going even with average talent.

What makes you dismiss so easily the fact that Brady has been making McDaniels look a lot better than he actually is as a coordinator?

I was the one who gave him credit for the pass. The thing it it wasn't an audible or Moss and Cassel changing the route because they didn't like what McDaniels called. It was a designed play for Moss. Moss adjusted his route based on a presnap read and Cassel read the same thing. It was the play that McDaniels put in except it was just a different route based on the defense.

From the Boston Globe:

After two runs that went backward, coming dangerously close to a safety, Cassel was looking at third and 11 in a stadium that had gone eerily quiet following Brady's injury. Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels radioed the play into Cassel's helmet, calling for a play-action pass, the hope to freeze the linebackers and safeties just enough to give receiver Randy Moss a chance to find open space downfield.

Cassel sold it nicely, pretending to place the ball between the "3" and "4" on Sammy Morris's jersey before dropping into his own end zone, never the place a quarterback wants to be.

With blockers holding up at the line of scrimmage, Cassel surveyed his options and noticed Moss had broken off his "go" route to the right because the coverage was in the spot Moss was supposed to be - and the safety and cornerback were standing flat-footed. So Cassel stepped into a laser that arced over the head of cornerback Patrick Surtain and into the arms of Moss.

It was a huge play, not just for what it ultimately set up - a touchdown to put the Patriots ahead, 7-0 - but also for what it meant to Cassel.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...08/backup_cassel_pitched_well_in_relief_role/

So it was McDaniels' play call. WRs in this offense adjust routes all the time based on the defense. That is how the offense has been run since Weis implemented it in 2000. If you think that didn't happen all the time under Weis, you are crazy. Making these route adjustments are the reason why guys like Chad Jackson or Donald Hayes never make it.

As the two plays before it, maybe they were predictable by design. If McDaniels decided if the Pats didn't pick significant yards on the first two downs, he was planning to do play action all along; it would a brilliant strategy to lull the defense into reading run on third down only to go over the top instead. And don't even try to argue that McDaniels would never think of that because none of us know if he did or not. Besides, how creative do you really want to get when the QB is dropping back into end zone?

Last edited:
Now you're trying to say McDaniels is a genius for running for no gain 2 straight times and then choosing a play for Moss???

As the two plays before it, maybe they were predictable by design. If McDaniels decided if the Pats didn't pick significant yards on the first two downs, he was planning to do play action all along; it would a brilliant strategy to lull the defense into reading run on third down only to go over the top instead. And don't even try to argue that McDaniels would never think of that because none of us know if he did or not. Besides, how creative do you really want to get when the QB is dropping back into end zone?

I'm quoting this in case you try to remove it. You are trying to say that McDaniels possibly tried to 'lull' the defense with a play action pass on 3rd and 11 from their own goal line. I'm not sure that even makes sense...

Re: More Pressure on Josh McDaniels Now

The 51-yard bomb to Moss wasn't McDaniel's call. If you read the interviews Moss explains he saw a crack in their defense and improvised on what his route was supposed to be, and fortunately Cassel saw the same thing.

It was a play-action pass, which is exactly what you're complaining he doesn't call.

Now you're trying to say McDaniels is a genius for running for no gain 2 straight times and then choosing a play for Moss???

Never said he was a genius, but that type of play calling happens a lot. A lot of OCs run two very vanilla plays to set up a play action. Play action works better if you make the other team assume you are going to run the ball in that situation. If the Pats passed or tried something more exotic in the first two plays, the Chiefs would have been more likely to read play action. That is Offensive Coordinator 101.

I am not saying it is genius that McDaniels ran two vanilla plays to set up the play action. I am saying that may be the reason why he did it.

First you cry that McDaniels doesn't call enough play action. Then the Pats excuted a brilliant play action and you want to give everyone credit for it other than McDaniels. No matter what route Moss ran, it was McDaniels who called the play action which was the perfect decision on that play.

I'm quoting this in case you try to remove it. You are trying to say that McDaniels possibly tried to 'lull' the defense with a play action pass on 3rd and 11 from their own goal line. I'm not sure that even makes sense...

I am saying exactly that. Who would have thought the Pats would do a playaction in their own endzone with a back up QB who has been maligned by much of the entire country all preseason? It would be even less likely when they sold that they didn't have confidence in him on the first two plays of the drive.

They lulled the defense into loading up the d-line because they figured that the Pats would try to run the ball and pick up some yardage to give Chris Hanson some room to punt the ball. No way did they or most anyone else think they would let Cassel air out the ball in that situation.

What will be interesting is whether McDaniel will now favor 3-step, 5-step or 7-step drops. I think we'll see a big reduction in shotgun formations. Last season the Pats were the 1st team ever to run the shotgun in more than 50% of their plays (sorry, I read that recently but can't find the link to reference it). Cassell will need the D to anticipate the run, so look for the shotgun % to drop off.

Cassell may be a good scrambler, but when the rush approaches, Brady would step aside, while Cassell ducks. That's why he needs more 3-step drops and quick releases. Otherwise the sack totals will pile up.

Another interesting dynamic is that the 2001 Pats won with a defense-first mentality, while the 2007 team turned into the 2006 Colts, slinging the ball all over the field. Those days are now gone, but the O-line may not be suited to morph into a pile-driving run team. The fact is that this offense was suited to rely on Brady's arm. So you guys are right, it's now time for McDaniel to shine. Let's hope he knows that Cassell is not Tom Brady and never will be.

Just because lemmings try to pick off anyone associated with the Patriots and Belichick doesn't mean that individual is intrinsically talented.

Look at Eric Mangini, the guy sucked as a defensive coordinator for us and then became the youngest head coach ever, so what? Those two facts are not related at all in terms of how good he is/was as a defensive coordinator for us.

1.) AGAIN, your opinion is not fact.

2.) Mangini was not the youngest head coach ever.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/youngest_coaches.jsp

So, let's review..... You're getting facts wrong AND you think your opinions are facts. That's a very bad combination. Take a step back and reassess what you're posting, and try using logic and actual, correct, facts in the future.

Last edited:
What will be interesting is whether McDaniel will now favor 3-step, 5-step or 7-step drops. I think we'll see a big reduction in shotgun formations. Last season the Pats were the 1st team ever to run the shotgun in more than 50% of their plays (sorry, I read that recently but can't find the link to reference it). Cassell will need the D to anticipate the run, so look for the shotgun % to drop off.

Cassell may be a good scrambler, but when the rush approaches, Brady would step aside, while Cassell ducks. That's why he needs more 3-step drops and quick releases. Otherwise the sack totals will pile up.

Another interesting dynamic is that the 2001 Pats won with a defense-first mentality, while the 2007 team turned into the 2006 Colts, slinging the ball all over the field. Those days are now gone, but the O-line may not be suited to morph into a pile-driving run team. The fact is that this offense was suited to rely on Brady's arm. So you guys are right, it's now time for McDaniel to shine. Let's hope he knows that Cassell is not Tom Brady and never will be.

Shotgun was a Brady thing. As I said before, Brady has been quoted as saying he has been lobbying for more shotgun formations since the Weis days. He just feels he plays better in shotgun. Who is going to argue with a HOF QB?

I am betting that it will be a mixture of 3 and 5 step drops with some shotgun. Seven step drops are getting more and more obsolete with all these speed rushers these days. Hence classic drop back gunslinging passers like Bledsoe are almost obsolete.

I think McDaniels sucks as an OC. He's blessed with having superior talent around him is all. I'll never forget the play calling in the Indy game, at home, in 2006. Gross.

I guess I'll bump this to eat a little crow.

Good game by McDaniels yesterday. Finally we see more screens and quick outs and slants.

Let's wait to see how the entire season goes for the offense though, before making any final judgements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back