PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPEC-U-LA-TION: The death knell for Ben Watson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's only got a paltry 49 passes caught this year. We don't need that type of player around here. Armen's right. Cut him now.

49 of the quietest damn catches I ever seen, there matey...

And a handleful of key drive killin' fumbles to go with it!

LOL!

You should have said "IF Watson catches the ball..."
The stump wiffed it.
(And I'm for keeping Ben on the roster as a talent.)

Any idea how many balls he has dropped this season so far?

Maybe the Pats are just not using him the right way.

Dave "Triple With Cheese" Thomas is looking like the second coming of Dave Casper. A throwback "big white-guy" tight end who runs nice routes, is strong on the block on the move with the ball and throws the highlight reel catch in for good measure here and there.

In fact, why don't they just put him in the Hall of Fame now and save all the trouble of, you know, playing more than one good game.

If Watson isn't the starting tight end next year, I'd like to experiment with him in the backfield next year. Fumblitis can be cured(see Tiki). His power and speed can be utilized now that Dillon is in his twilight.

It would be interesting.

If Watson isn't the starting tight end next year, I'd like to experiment with him in the backfield next year. Fumblitis can be cured(see Tiki). His power and speed can be utilized now that Dillon is in his twilight.

It would be interesting.

you want him to be a running back or fullback and carry the ball?????????????????????????????

Why is it pointless? Is it because it's HIS opinion of Watson and not yours? Try to get over yourself before the new year rolls in.

It's pointless because it's stupid. That's MY opinion. Like it's over for Watson?:eek:

ADPF can take care of himself, I'm sure.

Any idea how many balls he has dropped this season so far?

Maybe the Pats are just not using him the right way.

Yes, he's droped several passes. Far too many.
Nice diversion from your mis-statement.

Watson has had several bad games where he was a drive killer. A major league setback from the promise we saw last year. The Pats are "using him" just fine. The coaches aren't asking him to wiff on catches and fumble after the catch. All that drive killing as a matter of record, Watson is absolutely a keeper for next year.
He's no Bethel Johnson or his successor. WHAT he is is TBD. I believe that his native intelligence and work ethic will let him work through his bad phase.

Watson has had several bad games where he was a drive killer. A major league setback from the promise we saw last year. The Pats are "using him" just fine. The coaches aren't asking him to wiff on catches and fumble after the catch. All that drive killing as a matter of record, Watson is absolutely a keeper for next year.
He's no Bethel Johnson or his successor. WHAT he is is TBD. I believe that his native intelligence and work ethic will let him work through his bad phase.

Didnt Givens have the dropsees, spent the summer on the juggs, and fixed the issue. Again as far as fumbling, the coaches can correct it.

Armen,

Thank goodness you don't work as a scout for the patriots. You probably work for the red sox though. (Just Kidding)

Armen,

Thank goodness you don't work as a scout for the patriots. You probably work for the red sox though. (Just Kidding)

Actually, I work for the Celtics...

I am Danny Ainge's personal talent evaluator...

Doncha just love what we've done with the team?

I can't see him being dumped just yet. Outside of sales and all those crappy "hire and fire" industries, it isn't common practice to get rid of people based on one less-than-perfect month or so.

Crazy to think they would even consider getting rid of him.. especially with Graham's all time streak of staying healthy at 3 games. But the last game combined with Watson's less than clutch performances highlights that #84 should not be a focus on the offense. He can't be relied on to carry the game, but he is yet other high impact weapon in Brady's holster. As a unit our TEs are excellent, Thomas and Graham made more key catches than the 8-10 WRs combined.

Armen, according to NFL.com - One fumble lost in 2006. That would be a handful for Captain Hook.

Now onto your definition of "Quiet Catches". Avg yds per catch - 13.1, 32 catches for 1st downs, and 3 TD's. That would be quiet only to Helen Keller.

Then throw in the GREATEST pure gut play ever in the history of the New England Patriot franchise last year and you have a 3rd year player who is a successful work in progress.

BTW, Armen, I believe you are the person who caused me to find this website 4-5 years ago. Nick Cafardo wrote an article in the Globe about it and must've mentioned you. I've never gotten around to thanking you, so thank you.

Please allow me to clarify as you assumed I was talking about that one play. I was meaning in GENERAL Watson catches the ball and one foot away from him is a defender. Do you recall in the Chicago game Watson getting hit in the redzone?

It just wasn't the game where he got injured.

If Watson fumbled once we wouldn't be having this conversation, it's been an ongoing issue.

It's amazing specualtion gets this many responses.

there have been threads criticizing:

Light
Hobbs
Jackson
Watson

It's amazing specualtion gets this many responses.

there have been threads criticizing:

Light
Hobbs
Jackson
Watson

Ya know, I don't think BB is all that good a coach either.

Make no mistake: Ben Watson is this generation's Marv Cook (the Pats tight end who was replaced by the legendary Ben Coates for you bandwagon jumpers and younger fans).

It would be dumb to give up on Watson already.

Furthermore, Marv Cook was an very good TE that was replaced in the starting lineup by a better one.... then decided to look for more money in Chicago and ended up playing for, as you said, some very crappy bears teams... thereby sealing his own doom.

He would have made a fantastic backup TE had he stayed with us. After Coates, we didn't have much at TE for a while.

Give Watson more time. Resign Grambo and keep praying "Wendy" keeps playing this good.

We need three TE's. If Watson or Graham goes, bb would likely draft a TE in the first round yet again. Watson is not going anywhere. What's the point? Wouldn't everyone like him at least as the #3 TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back