PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPEC-U-LA-TION: The death knell for Ben Watson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's get this thread up to 100 replies.

Next we're going to speculate on MArquise Hill, whether to keep him or get rid of him and how the heck did he hurt his knee when he hasn't played?

Let's get this thread up to 100 replies.

Next we're going to speculate on MArquise Hill, whether to keep him or get rid of him and how the heck did he hurt his knee when he hasn't played?
What? No. We're gonna speculate on whether Wilfork's mysterious ankle injury is his death knell and if Wright or Hill can replace him. Look for that thread on Thursday.

If we cut Wilfork, Kraft could save big bucks at the training table

I don't have time to read this whole thread right now, but doesn't Watson still lead the team in receptions.

He is still a valueable weapon, and is there a reason why we can't have three good tight ends?

Not for nothing, as they say, but next season, when we get a true deep threat WR in Free Agency (and mark my words... we will pick up a WR FA, no matter what everyone here thinks about not needing to stretch the field) Watson's numbers will explode and you can probably say goodbye to a good number of drops.

If we had a deep threat Watson would likely see a lot of single coverage and defenders would be forced to give him more space. As it stands defenses are stupid not to double cover him every play and have a defender draped all over him, with another playing "safety".

This limits Watsons catches, helps facilitate drops, and limits yards after the catch. I'm amazed he's done what he has this season given everything working against him.

If we had a deep threat Watson would likely see a lot of single coverage and defenders would be forced to give him more space. As it stands defenses are stupid not to double cover him every play and have a defender draped all over him, with another playing "safety".

This limits Watsons catches, helps facilitate drops, and limits yards after the catch. I'm amazed he's done what he has this season given everything working against him.

Yep. Just when we thought a stretch-the-field receiver would make it easier for Brady, the running game -- and ultimately the OC, we now have another reason.

The original intent was to use Watson to create mismatches -- as a TE. Not to use him in place of that WR just because he has speed.

So yes the need for someone to pair with Reche will be a priority. Be it from our current WR corps, the draft, or FA. And hopefully that WR will have a healthy TC and pre-season to work with Brady...because THAT element of timing and familiarity between QB and WR was/is a crucial ingredient to the overall success of the offense.

Oh, and BTW -- Watson's a keeper. In between his injuries, he's still learning his routes. Didn't rack up a ton of experience at Georgia (after his transfer from Duke). Too soon to quit on a player with his physical gifts. Believe in the developmental process.

I seen several remarks stating Thomas has had one good game - I beg to differ, he has had quite a number of good games, he just has been used more as a blocker/STer than a primary receiver. Which goes to show he started slow and steadily improved his play to take advantage of his opportunities. Chad Jackson is now getting some nice blocking opportunities, but I digress...

My man, I watch EVERY Pats game just like we all do!

Sometimes on TiVO, sometimes live. And usually break down film one or twice during the week. (I know, I need some hobbies - my wife tells me the same thing! "You're watching the Pats game AGAIN?!?!?!?)

Watson took a hit to the knee, yes. And over the course of any football game, about 20-25 players take hits to the knee.

That says nothing. Have all those other players missed three weeks?

And Watson's knee injury is only a small part of his train ticket out of Foxboro. The bigger issue is his fumbilitis and his general lack of unfulfilled potential.

In the end, it's all spec anyway.

We're just fans, one's opinion no better than the next. I respect your opionion even if I don't disagree.

For me, I tend to be one who is very hard on guys who miss weeks behind ticky-tacky injuries. Call it my burden, if you will!

ADPF

Hard to believe this thread could get dumber.

Now we're diagnosing knee injuries by mental telepathy?

Why would you call another poster who gives his opinion "dumber?"

He is entitled to his opinions, and views, so why call him dumb?

If you disagree, why don't you just say so, but to call him dumb is making it personal.

S-P-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n

You just said Watson's not going anywhere.

The title of this thread is DEATH KNELL FOR BEN WATSON.

I did not call the poster anything, I called the thread dumb and when you said Watson's not going anywhere, you, by implication, did also.

Gotcha!

You used the "quote" feature to show a poster's quote, and responded to IT, not to the entire thread, by saying it couldn't get DUMBER. To anyone reading it, as you posted it, it appears as if yu are calling THAT poster to be dumb. And, I believe that you are. Unfortunately, it is a bad habit that you have picked up from a couple of other posters, because in the past, you were never like that.

I am merely pointing it out to you in an attempt to help out a fellow Pats fan, like yourself, not to be like some of the others who are helping to destroy this forum.

And, BTW, by me saying that Watson is not going anywhere, It implies NOTHING more than my opinion that he will stay with the Patriots. If you read more in to it, then thats your problem, not mine.

I just reread the thread. During the course of the thread other posters called it "pointless" and "stupid".

This poster starts threads slamming players and saying they will be dumped based on no evidence.

When he says that Watson is faking his knee injury I call the thread what it is.

I don't like to use words like that, but i don't start threads saying our leading receiver is a bum and a coward who's faking injuries.

When using one of those words to describe the thread, and I'm willing to stand by my opinion of the thread, I take my cue from Forrest Gump's mother.

".........." is as ".........." does.:cool:

You used the "quote" feature to show a poster's quote, and responded to IT, not to the entire thread, by saying it couldn't get DUMBER. To anyone reading it, as you posted it, it appears as if yu are calling THAT poster to be dumb. And, I believe that you are. Unfortunately, it is a bad habit that you have picked up from a couple of other posters, because in the past, you were never like that.

I am merely pointing it out to you in an attempt to help out a fellow Pats fan, like yourself, not to be like some of the others who are helping to destroy this forum.

And, BTW, by me saying that Watson is not going anywhere, It implies NOTHING more than my opinion that he will stay with the Patriots. If you read more in to it, then thats your problem, not mine.

No, NEM, you're not telling the truth here. What RayClay said was that it's hard to believe the THREAD could get dumber:

Hard to believe this thread could get dumber.

Now we're diagnosing knee injuries by mental telepathy?

That's clearly not calling the poster dumb, although it calls the post itself into question. I am merely pointing it out to you in an attempt to help out a fellow Pats fan, like yourself, not to be continuing to state the sort of untrue remarks that are helping to destroy this forum. Unfortunately, this is a bad habit that you've picked up from yourself.

I'm just trying to help. If you read more into it, then that's your problem, not mine.;)

Things are not always as they appear.

Anyone has a right to believe what they want.;)

No, NEM, you're not telling the truth here. What RayClay said was that it's hard to believe the THREAD could get dumber:

That's clearly not calling the poster dumb, although it calls the post itself into question. I am merely pointing it out to you in an attempt to help out a fellow Pats fan, like yourself, not to be continuing to state the sort of untrue remarks that are helping to destroy this forum. Unfortunately, this is a bad habit that you've picked up from yourself.

I'm just trying to help. If you read more into it, then that's your problem, not mine.;)

Thanks for the help, but I've been diagnosing NEM's plays for quite a while.:D

I really don't care to read this whole friggin threat, but really, this title and the first post are ******ed. How quickly we forget Watson and Brady have been the only passing game we've had all season. Watson has really been the most productive TE in the AFC behind the likes of Gates and Gonzalez. Thats with bad ball skills, which can be taught. When you think about that, all this guy need is an offseason to improve and he can be an elite player. It wasn't to long ago Barber couldn't hold onto the football, now look at him.

I love how short our memories our. Up untill this game, Thomas has done virtually nothing. Now suddenly he's better than Watson? Uh, sure. If you say so. Even Mike Cloud ran for 100 yards for us one day (remember him?) all dogs have their day. Fact is, Thomas has a way to go before we can call for Watson's release for him.

Doo Doo Da Doo!

100 posts everybody! Not every message board could get to triple digits off a topic the OP saw written in his morning bowl of Alpha-Bits, but we did!

Now hang your heads in shame.

0,,967491_4,00.jpg

I seen several remarks stating Thomas has had one good game - I beg to differ, he has had quite a number of good games, he just has been used more as a blocker/STer than a primary receiver. Which goes to show he started slow and steadily improved his play to take advantage of his opportunities. Chad Jackson is now getting some nice blocking opportunities, but I digress...

This is worthy of a separate thread and discussion. We know Thomas has receiver skills - if he can be a good blocker too that would be tremendous

Same with Jackson

"Just when you thought Old Watson was about to become a star, along comes Watson's own personal "Ben Coates" in the form of Dave Thomas and before you know it, the promise becomes a memory and he's playing for some cut-rate franchise somewhere!"

WHOA, are you really comparing Dave Thomas to Ben Coates !!

Ben Coates, 5 time pro bowler, 500 receptions, 5500 yards, 50 TDS . Talk about dissin Big Ben !!

"Just when you thought Old Watson was about to become a star, along comes Watson's own personal "Ben Coates" in the form of Dave Thomas and before you know it, the promise becomes a memory and he's playing for some cut-rate franchise somewhere!"

WHOA, are you really comparing Dave Thomas to Ben Coates !!

Ben Coates, 5 time pro bowler, 500 receptions, 5500 yards, 50 TDS . Talk about dissin Big Ben !!

Not only that, but comparing him to Casper. WTF is wrong with some fans. A guy has one big game and he's our elite weapon, along with a HOF and a possibly HOF? Psh.

You are not the first to suggest the end of Sir Watson, and sure won't be the last. Its absurd though, really. You have a specimen of a man in size speed and hands...and are going to write it all off for a few fumbles.

Watson is a weapon. Three fumbles does not change that fact. This is his second year. He will be fine.

49 catches for 600+ yards is pretty good for a second year TE

My man, I watch EVERY Pats game just like we all do!

Sometimes on TiVO, sometimes live. And usually break down film one or twice during the week. (I know, I need some hobbies - my wife tells me the same thing! "You're watching the Pats game AGAIN?!?!?!?)

If you had actually watched the game, you'd know how serious the hit to Watson's knee was. So, forgive me for thinking you are talking out your rear end when you claim to have watched every game.

Watson took a hit to the knee, yes. And over the course of any football game, about 20-25 players take hits to the knee.

That says nothing. Have all those other players missed three weeks?

That is a load of garbage. 20-25 players a game do NOT take hits to their knee. This bogus claim just adds more fuel to the idea that you don't watch as much football as you claim.

And Watson's knee injury is only a small part of his train ticket out of Foxboro. The bigger issue is his fumbilitis and his general lack of unfulfilled potential.

OH, so let me get this straight. Watson has 3 fumbles on the season and now has a case of fumble-itis? What does that say about BRADY? Brady was fumbling 10-12 times a year over the course of his first few seasons. Were you complaining about him as well?

What unfulfilled potential? He's basically a 2nd year TE.

In the end, it's all spec anyway.

We're just fans, one's opinion no better than the next. I respect your opionion even if I don't disagree.

For me, I tend to be one who is very hard on guys who miss weeks behind ticky-tacky injuries. Call it my burden, if you will!

ADPF

From what I see, you are clueless as to what its a ticky-tack injury and what is a real injury. Also, you really have no concept of the kind of pounding these guys take.

As I said before, I will take BB making the decisions over you. That is until you actually become a coach who has won 3 SBs.

P.S. Why aren't you complaining about Wilfork? All he did was tweak a shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back