PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Reality Regarding Our Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I really do respect your opinion and want to agree with the message, I just feel like it's wishful thinking. We've said the same thing for the past few years and, while the small improvement did materialize, it just wasn't enough overall at the end of the season and playoff time. A lot of the players on the team, while young, have been in the system for a few years now. That means that even though it was a short offseason and all that, it still shouldn't look this bad.

With all that said, I want to share your optimism for our young defense. I will also say that drastic improvement as the safety position is so necessary right now. I feel the pass rush will get better, but I am not so sure about the secondary.

There's more of a hump to get over this year than any year in the past. With the amount of turnover they've had combined with a shortened offseason and changing the defensive scheme, a slow start has to be expected.

I'm not worried about the safety position. It's not going to get better personnel-wise. It is what it is. When everyone is healthy and up to speed it won't look so bad. Between Chung and whoever, it should be enough to get the job done if the corners are getting their job done. I don't think it's any worse than last year. Honestly, I rarely remember Sanders and Meriweather making a big impact, so I don't think it's a big net loss.

I'm looking for them to start running some blitzes and stunts. At this point I don't think they're really throwing any wrinkles in there whatsoever.

I actually think the QB pressure looks a good bit better than last year, but the QBs are getting the ball out so fast due to the poor coverage that we're not getting a lot of hits and sacks. If the coverage improves, it will bring a lot of stuff with it.

Here is the stat of last season's Patriots playoff game 0-0-0.
0 QB pressures
0 QB hits
0 QB Sacks

You cannot win games by throwing an effort like that at the opposing team. Look at the Buffalo game, look at last week's Raiders game, no pressure equals 100+ QB ratings.
It your valiant attempt to perpetuate the negativity (SOME of which is deserved, btw), why would you bring up a stat from a game LAST season, which has absolutely NO relevance to THIS season. Especially when you consider how many new faces are now on the defense.

We get it E, the defense hasn't been stellar, or good, or even average, but some of us are willing to understand some of the reasons for the stats, and find hope in those reasons. You choose to ignore any reason for hope, which brings to mind why you would even care enough to post if you have no hope. Pretty masochistic, if you ask me? ;)

It your valiant attempt to perpetuate the negativity (SOME of which is deserved, btw), why would you bring up a stat from a game LAST season, which has absolutely NO relevance to THIS season. Especially when you consider how many new faces are now on the defense.

We get it E, the defense hasn't been stellar, or good, or even average, but some of us are willing to understand some of the reasons for the stats, and find hope in those reasons. You choose to ignore any reason for hope, which brings to mind why you would even care enough to post if you have no hope. Pretty masochistic, if you ask me? ;)

I don't care if the Patriots ever get another sack, as long as they can stop the opposition. The problem is they can't stop anybody, and a look at the next few games tell me that if nothing changes we are going to lose more than we win. Our next 4 games are the Jets in Foxboro, Cowboys in Foxboro, Pittsburg at Pittsburg and Giants in Foxboro. The things that they all have in common are they are well coached and they can score points. If we can't apply pressure on the QB we are lucky to go 1 and 3 with that schedule. Also, I see very little reason for hope at the moment. We have nothing on the PUP that looks like it will be a major upgrade defensively and Belichick isn't the type of GM who is going to invest a draft pick on Aaron Curry. Free agent wise, the Pats decided not to sign a center to replace Koppen, what are the chances they sign a LB to replace Mayo? For better or worse, this is the roster we have and this is the roster going forward. I will live and die with Pats every Sunday, and i wll continue to demand better from them.

I can suffer in silence or howl at the moon, I choose to howl.

They actually got pressure against the Raiders (2 hits, 14 pressures according to pro football focus; Bedard had similar numbers) but your point is valid; the secondary isn't good enough to stop a passing attack unless they get a ton of pressure up front.

People forget the Miami game when the Pats (relatively healthy then) got 4 sacks and an eye-popping 11 QB hits. Ask Henne how he feels about the Pats ability to apply pressure.

NFL Videos: Patriots defense, sack, 3-yd loss
NFL Videos: Patriots defense, sack, 8-yd loss
NFL Videos: Patriots defense, sack, 6-yd loss
NFL Videos: Patriots defense, sack, 9-yd loss

Interior pressure has been crippled by injuries and that has hampered the outside pressure as well. Wilfork has been playing an insane number of snaps (that can't continue) and he can't be expected to go full-tilt on 60+ snaps.

Wilfork has been playing an insane number of snaps (that can't continue) and he can't be expected to go full-tilt on 60+ snaps.

Especially since he's run a longer total distance on interception returns this year than he has in ALL plays any other year :D

(exaggeration of course)

I don't care if the Patriots ever get another sack, as long as they can stop the opposition. The problem is they can't stop anybody.

Darren McFadden and Antonio Gates wish this were true.

Last edited:
I don't think run D is an issue....but they sure as heck need to pressure the QB to get their pass D better...can't expect the DB's to cover for 5 or 6 seconds.......

Excuses about injuries are just excuses to lie down like dogs, and the perfect example was Ellis Hobbs. Every time he got burnt he was injured, which means he was injured every game he played.

Belichick brought in a Hanesworth and Carter to play a 4/3 and then he let all of his experienced safeties go. The one thing that made the defense better last year was that nobody wanted to hit the deep middle seam, because Merriweather would lay some hurt on them, and now we have nobodies who are making the minimum and are afraid to hit anybody for fear of getting fined by the league.

There might be some hope, if Ron Brace can be considered hope. Our linebackers are just OK, our secondary gets fried every f'ing game, our d-line makes Jason Cambell look like Ken Stabler, and our nose tackle is second on the team in ints. This defense is in serious trouble and there is nothing on the horizon that I can see that will help it get any better. There isn't a magic wand out there to turn chicken sh!t into chicken pie, and right now this defense is chicken sh!t, and that might be insulting chicken sh!t.

Well since it's so hopeless, do us all a favor and go away.

Negativity and zero insight are not a good combination for website contribution.

It might do you some good.

Since your anger is a product of complete ignorance, why continue the hassle?

0 QB pressures
0 QB hits
0 QB Sacks

You cannot win games by throwing an effort like that at the opposing team. Look at the Buffalo game, look at last week's Raiders game, no pressure equals 100+ QB ratings.

I see, zero pressure equals a two score win in Oakland.

Thanks, Einstein.

Will someone please give back the dunce cap so this one can go back to the corner?

Haynesworth misses practice AGAIN. Ok, he has been a dog for 3 years. He is a bad, bad person who has literally crippled a man and pleaded no contest to inappropriate conduct toward a woman. They acquire him anyway. He practice 5 times in July. Plays in 1 1/2 preseason games. Starts one game, plays poorly in the 2nd and then misses 2 weeks and in one of the biggest games of the year. HE STILL IS NOT PRACTICING. A lot of guys have been cut for less. This is a joke. An absolute joke.

I don't care if the Patriots ever get another sack, as long as they can stop the opposition. The problem is they can't stop anybody, and a look at the next few games tell me that if nothing changes we are going to lose more than we win. Our next 4 games are the Jets in Foxboro, Cowboys in Foxboro, Pittsburg at Pittsburg and Giants in Foxboro. The things that they all have in common are they are well coached and they can score points. If we can't apply pressure on the QB we are lucky to go 1 and 3 with that schedule. Also, I see very little reason for hope at the moment. We have nothing on the PUP that looks like it will be a major upgrade defensively and Belichick isn't the type of GM who is going to invest a draft pick on Aaron Curry. Free agent wise, the Pats decided not to sign a center to replace Koppen, what are the chances they sign a LB to replace Mayo? For better or worse, this is the roster we have and this is the roster going forward. I will live and die with Pats every Sunday, and i wll continue to demand better from them.

I can suffer in silence or howl at the moon, I choose to howl.

Ahhh no, complete, utter nonsense.

These teams are not good offensively, are not well coached, nor are they adapt at scoring points. Also, none of the four have shown any particular ability to play defense.

Both San Diego and Oakland are better than all four of these teams.

0 QB pressures
0 QB hits
0 QB Sacks

Add Zero FFs & Zero INTs to that stat line too.

When your defensive philosophy is based upon being given turnovers instead of making stops,
then you will always fail, Sooner or Later. In our case last season, it was Sooner.
In our case this season, I'm still betting on Sooner. The talent simply...isn't...there.

Add Zero FFs & Zero INTs to that stat line too.

When your defensive philosophy is based upon being given turnovers instead of making stops,
then you will always fail, Sooner or Later. In our case last season, it was Sooner.
In our case this season, I'm still betting on Sooner. The talent simply...isn't...there.

Tweedle Dumber and Tweedle Dumberer are on the same page.:rocker:

How 'bout them apples.

Haynesworth misses practice AGAIN. Ok, he has been a dog for 3 years. He is a bad, bad person who has literally crippled a man and pleaded no contest to inappropriate conduct toward a woman. They acquire him anyway. He practice 5 times in July. Plays in 1 1/2 preseason games. Starts one game, plays poorly in the 2nd and then misses 2 weeks and in one of the biggest games of the year. HE STILL IS NOT PRACTICING. A lot of guys have been cut for less. This is a joke. An absolute joke.

OK, I'll play.

Your head coach pimps his wife's feet (and other services) on Facebook - - a company founded by a CEO who was not even born when your team won it's only Super Bowl.

Game, set and match, Carolyn.

Last edited:
OK, I'll play.

Your head coach pimps his wife's feet (and other services) on Facebook - - a company founded by a CEO who was not even born when your team won it's only Super Bowl.

Game, set and match, Carolyn.

That last post was...how can I put it....uh...Jokeresque.

You are aware of course that his contract is incentive laden, and much of the money kicks in dependent on the percentage of snaps he plays...

If he was f..ing the dog, BB would let him go..

Big guys and bad backs, are difficult to heal..

Right now he is getting benefit of the doubt, he is more injured than the old standard of just walk it off..

Tweedle Dumber and Tweedle Dumberer are on the same page.:rocker:

How 'bout them apples.

Although I agree with your side of the argument in this case, I think you could do away with the personal vitriol. I haven't seen them calling you any names. It's unnecessary.

This is reality: Vince Wilfork is second on the team in interceptions. Since I've been told repeatedly around here that we're somehow intentionally allowing a ton of yards through the air in favor of getting our hands on turnovers, that statistic would seem to be very troubling. So not only is our pass defense equal to a strainer, but our second leading interceptor is a 375 pound defensive lineman. :ugh:

I still don't understand how some of you could watch our dynasty defenses (yes, we did have defenses that both limited yardage and snagged turnovers after Polian put his mark on the league) and think that this one is doing just fine. Yes, getting some of our injured players (Haynesworth) back could change that (and quickly), but right now they look about two steps too slow.

Things I think I think (MAYBE):

- The defense has been gashed for 4 straight weeks.

- But they're still 4-1

- Half of what matters is getting to the playoffs. It seems to me that getting a home game isn't much of a guarantee of playoff success at this point.

- The other half that matters is being healthy and deep by the time the playoffs hit. I couldn't care less if Haynesworth doesn't play until week 14, or if Ochocinco gets 8 snaps a game until December. The "we're going to need him" mantra means "we're going to need him... when people get hurt".

- I can't believe someone actually thinks Aaron Curry is the answer. Too dumb for a Pete Carroll defense, and you want him here? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News