PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So maybe I was a little hard on Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckedtrek

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've always liked his enthusiasm, but really thought he was all heart, but over his head in the NFL. When some people here said he was our next Welker, I'd shake my head and think "based on what?!"

For the season he's officially over 100 catches and 1,000 yards after today's win over Buffalo, and as I said back in the Summer... "I hope I'm wrong about him. I hope he is as good as Welker." Granted it's been one season, but I won't doubt him any longer! The guy proved me wrong and I'm making this thread just to admit it!

To the JE fans here at Pats fans who said he'd do it if Welker wasn't in his way, You were right and I was wrong. Congratulations on your ability to know a good thing when you see it!

I think Welker helped make the slot receiver position a dangerous position for teams to cover. Sure Deion Branch made some big plays playing that position prior to Welker, but Welker averaged 100+ catch a season in 6 seasons with the Pats. Edelman has a LOT of qualities that Welker had, except he couldn't stay healthy. When Edelman was healthy (and Gronk), our offense was unstoppable. Unfortunately when Edelman and Gronk got hurt last season, it really made our offense one dimensional.

I thought Amemdola was gonna be the man this season, thought he was gonna be the new Welker, but with HIS injury problems, Edelman took the bull by the horns. Where would we be without him. I'm hoping next season our offense stays relatively healthy, and I can see them putting up 500+ points. It's amazing we scored as many as we did with all the injuries as well as grooming 3 rookie receivers. Edelman was a Godsend.

Apology accepted.

I am glad I have been on the JE bandwagon from the start. i hope they can resign him and I hope he shows some loyalty to the team that believed in him

I never understood the negativity. I always knew his diversity was valuable, but he's exceeded even my expectations. And I'm very happy for him and us. We'd be lost without him, Brady, Blount and Vereen. At least on the offense. :D

As good as Minitron was, Amendola was a dissapointment in his first season, Injuries really derailed him, and even when he came back he played less then i thought he would.

Big Edelperson fan. Glad to see him do well.

Edelman has always been great, injuries derailed him. I would have loved to see both him and Wes here, but thank god we have a healthy Edelman

Takes a man to admit he was wrong....Edelman deserves a ton of credit for overcoming injuries and a change of position to become a very productive player in this league. I would also add that he has proven to be more than just a slot receiver. He has played a fair amount on the outside this year as well, and been productive. Additionally, he is one of the better punt returners in NFL history.

That being said, I don't believe they should throw a bunch of money at him. Amendola is already signed long term and provides a very similar skill set. Also, Boyce and Moe are developmental options that seem to have the physical and mental makeup to succeed in that role. Ultimately, slot receiver is not a very difficult role to fill in this league. That's why they don't really make the big bucks.

As good as Minitron was, Amendola was a dissapointment in his first season, Injuries really derailed him, and even when he came back he played less then i thought he would.

If they do resign Edelman I expect that Amendola will be cut after next season because of the way the contract is framed it apparently lets them do that

I'm ready for the comparisons to Welker to stop.. He's not Welker part II.. He's INCREDLEMAN! :rocker:

Seriously though, 105 for 1056 and 6 TD's is a very good season.

If they do resign Edelman I expect that Amendola will be cut after next season because of the way the contract is framed it apparently lets them do that

Basically, the first two years of his contract were ~100% guaranteed. They can't save any cap room in 2013 or 2014 by cutting him, but they can in 2015 and beyond.

We have a member here who posted in July his disdain for having Tebow, Blount and Edelman on our 53.

Well 1/3 as okay but not the others.

Pfft!

In honor of Julian Edleman breaking 100 reception and 1000 yards, here's a post I made back in 2011 where I predicted that Edleman could equal Welker's stats...

(but I falsely credited Moss, oh well)

Let's look at Eddleman. In 2009, I believe there were 4 games where Welker was out and Eddleman took over his role (note, took over for Wes, not just played along side Wes). Those were: wk 2 against the Jets, wk 3 against ATL, wk 17 against Houston (minus one series), and the playoff game against Balt. All featured Moss, even the Houston game once Brady re-entered, if I recall. Eddleman racked up: 8,3,10, and 6 receptions. Too small of a sample size, I know, but that does project to 108 receptions in a full season. To even it out, we are essentially counting 8 out of those hypothetical 16 games against the Jets and Ravens. That's pretty good. But, I'd argue it's due to his role in that scheme dictated by personnel (i.e. Moss). Without the above, I highly question wether Eddleman is capable of those numbers.

I'd be surprised to see JE sign with anyone else unless someone offers him a ridiculous deal. The Pats stuck by him and gave him his chance to shine. And so he did.

As disappointed as I was with Amendola, how far off was he from Wes? One less game played, 20 less catches and 150 less yards. Granted 8 less TD's, but when you look at their numbers the spread isn't as big as you might expect. If he's a Patriot next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Amendola and Wes's #'s to be even closer.

The player on offense that I am most concerned about now (not including the line) is Gronk. His injury history cannot be ignored. Feels funny to say (for me) but thank goodness we have Julian!

I've always liked his enthusiasm, but really thought he was all heart, but over his head in the NFL. When some people here said he was our next Welker, I'd shake my head and think "based on what?!"

For the season he's officially over 100 catches and 1,000 yards after today's win over Buffalo, and as I said back in the Summer... "I hope I'm wrong about him. I hope he is as good as Welker." Granted it's been one season, but I won't doubt him any longer! The guy proved me wrong and I'm making this thread just to admit it!

To the JE fans here at Pats fans who said he'd do it if Welker wasn't in his way, You were right and I was wrong. Congratulations on your ability to know a good thing when you see it!

That's OK, I won't do a victory dance about my man Jules.

After all, I was completely wrong about Logan Ryan.

Last edited:
Takes a man to admit he was wrong....Edelman deserves a ton of credit for overcoming injuries and a change of position to become a very productive player in this league. I would also add that he has proven to be more than just a slot receiver. He has played a fair amount on the outside this year as well, and been productive. Additionally, he is one of the better punt returners in NFL history.

That being said, I don't believe they should throw a bunch of money at him. Amendola is already signed long term and provides a very similar skill set. Also, Boyce and Moe are developmental options that seem to have the physical and mental makeup to succeed in that role. Ultimately, slot receiver is not a very difficult role to fill in this league. That's why they don't really make the big bucks.

As much as I admire Amendola, He cant even sniff Edelmans dust. It should never be a question who is more valuable

As much as I admire Amendola, He cant even sniff Edelmans dust. It should never be a question who is more valuable

Ok, but I think it is pretty clear Amendola is playing with a compromised groin. For a guy that lives off of short-area quickness, that's a really bad injury. Amendola was uncoverable in the preseason and a beast in week 1. I love Jules, but Amendola is the more natural route runner and pass catcher. Of course, injuries are part of the evaluation, but Jules hasn't been able to stay healthy in the past either.

Recked, your humility and willingness to admit you were mistaken about Edelman are admirable. You also stand in stark contrast to others who expressed even more negative opinions about Edelman than you did, but now present themselves as revisionist historians. Kudos to you.

I always liked Edelperson. I just didn't expect a 100/1000 season from him. He's one of those players that inspire fans of other teams to ask, "Where the hell did you find THAT guy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes