PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI.com-"Is Brady Overrated?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I've always enjoyed reading SI, guess that ends today...

meh, who cares

Every athelete has his detractors and people will always make it sound like Brady is surrounded by the greatest offense of all time but Peyton Manning works with relative nobodies like Harrison, Wayne, etc.

Peyton Manning is the best passer playing right now.

Tom Brady is the best QB playing right now because being a QB entails more than throwing the football.

But really, who cares, there's always going to be articles written like this because columnists write to get their column talked about not to try and get everyone to agree with them.

fnordcircle said:
...people will always make it sound like Brady is surrounded by the greatest offense of all time but Peyton Manning works with relative nobodies like Harrison, Wayne, etc.
I still don't understand how people make that argument. Last night on the NBC highlight show, they were talking about Brady and Manning, and someone said that Manning is better because it's all on him, while Brady is surrounded by so many weapons. That's inexcusable journalistic oversight.

It doesn't occur to these guys that Brady's Mind allows BB to run the system he runs. How are you overrated of you play your best in the biggest situations.

I heard this same nonsense from people who didn't 'get it' about Bull Russell 45 years ago. It never changes.

That writer has too much time on his hands...what is the basis for his saying that Brady is overrated? His record is like what??...73-22?? Yeah..he's overrated.

Let that moron ask the other 31 head coaches if Brady is overrated. What a fri%$#g idiot.

Just saw nother article posted on SI.com written by the same guy, Andrew Perloff:

"Is Water dry?"

Kdo5 said:
What has he done lately? I dont know, how about single handedly carrying his team to the Divisional Playoffs last year. How about leading his team to 5-1. He could have had a case for MVP in 2005, the way he carried this team. The first half of the season, it was 100% Brady.

Tom Brady has been average this year. I'm still waiting for a really good game from him. And you claim he's the reason the team has succeeded? I don't think so.

He only led the league in yardage last year because of Deion Branch. Also, he was throwing because he had to because there was no running game, so you really can't give him credit for that. Then in 2003 and 2004, there was a running game and a sh*t-hot defense, so you can't really give him credit for those two Lombardis, and everybody knows the league gave the Pats that first Superbowl because of 9/11. Hello!?!?!? Tuck Rule? Of course it was in the rule book, but that's no reason to call the game by the rules, to the benefit of one team, when you could call the game disregarding the rules to the benefit of the other team -- unless there's a conspiracy.

Tom Brady's just the latest fad case of a guy who does his job, makes the throws he has to, wins super bowls, and doesn't take stupid gambles for no apparent reason -- obviously not the kind of guy you want at QB.

TO told me this team could be something special if we had Brett Favre.

PFnV

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!:D

This is hysterical.

sorry, you can't win the SB EVERY year. this guy represents everything that's wrong with the media today...just read MMQB, these guys swing from one extreme to another on a weekly basis. Mike Silver is the only sane guy at SI.

"product of the system" -- yeah, that was some system he inherited back in '01. This is just ignorance.

I heard Sterling Sharpe make the same point. These guys think a passer rating makes you great. Elway's passer rating sucked. I think David Carr led the league...yeah, that sounds like a solid basis for comparing QBs.

Look, Manning's a very good QB, but a #3 receiver doesn't make Darrent Williams look that bad. Wayne was consistently running back 5-6 yards on out routes to make catches...when a WR gets that open against Denver it's time to start sharing the credit to the guys around Manning.

The NBC promo calls Manning the "best pure passer in the game" -- I'm sorry but the guy throws way too many ducks -- Marvin Harrison even admits it.

And how's this for a double standard: Adam makes a kick to win the game but where are the Colts fans bashing Peyton for not scoring a TD and only getting his kicker in position to win...they only needed 3?, so what, it means he can't score TDs. Without Adam they lose the game...the kicker was responsible for the win. pathetic. (infer heavy sarcasm)

By the way Larry Coyer, a prevent defense is a great idea when you are protecting the END ZONE!...not a FG. And you might want to give D-Williams a little help out there.

Where is the criticism of Denver's D?

Halifax_Pats_Fan said:
is Brady regarded more highly than is deserved? It all depends on who you ask....if you ask me I would say no. I regard Brady highly, for competing and practicing at such a competitive level, a level that is deserved from my viewpoint, and I am not even his team-mate. This level got him some rings and the respect of his peers, deservedly so

I am actually happy people print such garbage, it fires the boys up. I hope they continue to do so. Tonight will be a good test for NE....

well said......

TruthSeeker said:
Tom Brady has been average this year. I'm still waiting for a really good game from him. And you claim he's the reason the team has succeeded? I don't think so.

Help me here, you're being sarcastic, right?

The fact that 5 of his 6 WR's are completely new to this system and team? The only returning WR is Methusaleh Brown? And still, he has this team at 5-1 and improving with each week that the new guys get halfway through the O playbook? Meanwhile, he's done this with a BETTER THAN 3-1 TD-INT RATIO!

Yeah, pretty average.

This is like Derek Jeter redux. Peyton is Arod (pre Yankees) with all his accolades and awards, Brady is Jeter with all the rings, leadership, and very good stats that get overlooked because someone else is putting up better (regular season) numbers. When it's all said and done, I'll take parades over praise.

skri65 said:
My favorite line...

"He's got 2 Superbowl MVP's. But what has he done lately?"

Nice one.
His logic(or lack thereof) falls apart on itself. If winning isn't the definer then stats are. The Pats didn't win last year but Brady did lead the league in passing. So which is it winning or stats?

Okay, I just started reading this crap. What the hell is wrong with this dummy?

If the Patriots hadn't drafted Brady, there's no way he'd be compared to Joe Montana and Johnnie Unitas.

And if Red Auerbach bolted to the Knicks, the Celtics wouldn't have won those titles. So?

Gee, you know, if "what have you done for me lately?" is the standard for being "overrated", then Peyton Manning is the single most overrated player in the history of the NFL.

We didn't win the SB last year and its "What have you done for me lately?" This guy has to be writing this to purposefully piss people off.

Last edited:
So, Purloff, you managing to find your mouth with your fork tonight, Einstein?

I hope this guy was watching the game against the Vikes tonight. Overrated to the tune of 372 yards and 4 TDs!! Ask the Vikings who was overrated tonight! LOL.

Bet that hack writer will still pick the Colts over the Pats next week. Some people just like to stir it up. In their minds saying stupid things isn't as important as getting attention.

shmessy said:
Help me here, you're being sarcastic, right?

The fact that 5 of his 6 WR's are completely new to this system and team? The only returning WR is Methusaleh Brown? And still, he has this team at 5-1 and improving with each week that the new guys get halfway through the O playbook? Meanwhile, he's done this with a BETTER THAN 3-1 TD-INT RATIO!

Yeah, pretty average.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. Tonight he was fantastic. I don't even blame him for the pick; Ben Watson has to defend against the pick if he's not going to catch it.

Stop regurgitating their record (now 6-1) and consider the throws he's been making this year. He has not looked sharp (until tonight). Yes, the receivers are new and that plays a part, but he has also missed receivers a number of times when they are standing waiting for the ball or running in a straight line.

You're right about the TD to INT ratio. Tom has done well (above average) to limit his mistakes. But when I study the games (and I do), a see a number of poor passes.

As far as their record goes, note that the defense has played quite well and the running game has had a few great games.

Tonight was Tom Brady at his best. Hopefully, he'll continue to play somewhere near this level for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Time for CNN to get this article off the front page, I'd say :D

Here's the quote under Brady's picture:

"Tom Brady has won two Super Bowl MVPs. But what has he done lately?"

Guess that's pretty much been answered, eh? :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back