PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Pats draft a WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man what a waste of time plowing through 5 pages of BS from a few guys in love with their own "voices". Now back to the original premise of the thread. SHOULD the Pats draft a WR? The answer is decisively NO!

I don't doubt that the Pats need to eventually add some young WRs down the road, but they DO not need to THIS season. As it is they are going to have to cut at least 2 experienced and proven WRs. If you draft a WR you'd have to make that number 3, and he'd likely be the #5 WR and have little impact on this season. Add that to the fact there isn't anyone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that would be any better THIS season than what we already have. The only WR I can see that makes any sense would be Broyles, who you could take with our "red 6th pick and "red shirt" for a season.

THIS is the season to either trade up or trade out to 2013. THIS is the season to add defensive bodies. Add 2 guys to the front 7 and 2 guys to the back end, then trade the last 2 picks into 2013 and then call it a day.

So WRs in THIS draft - They are the most numerous commodity the NFL has to offer. Every year there are a dozen rated in the first 2 rounds of the draft and a dozen more proven FAs

A couple of miscellaneous points

1. During the BB era the 2 most successful rookie WRs were Branch and Edelman - Branch had around 440 yds his rookie year, while Edelman had around 370, though he saw a lot fewer snaps on the field BTW - if you add Edelman's playoff game, they are about the same.

2. In an offense where the 2 TEs get over 2000 yds in receptions and 24 TDs, the importance of your #3 and #4 WRs is greatly lessened compared to other offenses

3. How important to the offense is the #3WR? Can anyone name the #3 WR for the Pats in 2001 and how many catches he had? Yeah I know its a totally different offense, but also onw where the TE's had an minimal impact. The point is that unless the WRs are a key element in your offense the #3 guy isn't a critical factor. In 2007 he was. Not so much in 2001 and 2011

BTW- the guys name was Charles Johnson hand he had 11 catches for 111 yds.
Agree with most of the above and would only add that what's often disregarded - and I say this without having had the patience to read through most of what had been posted here so don't know if he had been mentioned previously - is that Bethel Johnson was actually a hell of a player for us in his rookie season as a high draft pick. He fell off the proverbial cliff after his rookie season obviously and plainly sucked thereafter, but as a player-maker, returner and gunner, he made a lot of plays that won us games en route to another SB ring. I just think he needs his share of props and we shouldn't throw him out with the Chad Jackson's bathwater.

But I would be livid if in the upcoming draft BB used a second round pick let alone a first rounder to draft a WR given that there are current holes and issues on the defensive side of the ball that are higher priorities than a developmental, young WR or a safety net in case Welker or Lloyd were lost to an injury.

But I would be livid if in the upcoming draft BB used a second round pick let alone a first rounder to draft a WR given that there are current holes and issues on the defensive side of the ball that are higher priorities than a developmental, young WR or a safety net in case Welker or Lloyd were lost to an injury.
Exactly my point in the entire thread.

The first TWO rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft should be strictly allocated towards the New England Patriots defense.

A developmental wide receiver should be selected no earlier than the FOURTH round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

BB has not, and will never, run a draft that way.

Re: Center Dan Koppen re-signed for 2 years

The New England Patriots had two developmental wide receivers on the roster prior to the commencement of the 2011 NFL Season.

And neither worked out, so another WR is needed. Thanks for helping make my point.

The New England Patriots cut the wrong wide receiver prior to the 2011 NFL Season.

No, they didn't.

The New England Patriots could draft a wide receiver in the fourth round in the 2012 NFL Draft with the sole purpose of stashing the wide receiver on injured reserve for the 2013 NFL Season.

They could do the same thing at any position, but this is a complete irrelevancy.

Unless Brian Waters retires, the New England Patriots do not need another interior offensive lineman:

Dan Koppen
Dan Connelly
Ryan Wendell
Nick McDonald
Logan Mankins
Brian Waters
Robert Gallery
Donald Thomas

Waters, Gallery, Koppen and Connelly are all older players, so a developmental/younger player for the inside is needed. Only the blind don't see that. The only real question is whether or not it can wait one more year before being acted upon.

First, the perception of a weak safety draft class does not preclude the New England Patriots from finding a "diamond in the rough".

The same holds true for every position. This is another irrelevancy, since diamonds in the rough aren't 1st or 2nd round picks.

Second, the New England Patriots need a cornerback alot more than a developmental wide receiver for the 2012 NFL Season.

Since I don't consider getting a receiver who can compete for plays as the WR3 to be a developmental thing, you're arguing a non-issue. However, it's without question that the CB position is at least as fully stocked (and quite possibly better off beyond each group's respective top 2 players) as the WR position, given the Dowling/Arrrington/McCourty/Allen quartet.

edit: IF you want to look at CB, here you go:

Three weeks after trading their starting quarterback, the Broncos have dumped one of their starting cornerbacks.

The team has announced that veteran corner Andre’ Goodman has been released.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/13/broncos-release-starting-cornerback-andre-goodman/

Last edited:

I'll give you credit for one thing, you certainly don't hold back your feelings as I've seen that barb from you on multiple occasions. :) Keep up the fight Deus, makes for an interesting read, even when you're mistaken.

-Jamman

If an argument sucks, it sucks, and Tippett's been posting lousy arguments all offseason. It's been a very bizarre offseason here, where a Super Bowl appearance seems to have driven multiple posters crazy enough to compete for the 'honor' of being the next Maverick.

Waters, Gallery, Koppen and Connelly are all older players, so a developmental/younger player for the inside is needed. Only the blind don't see that. The only real question is whether or not it can wait one more year before being acted upon.

The question really is whether any of Wendell, Thomas, McDonald might prove their way towards the starting lineup akin to how Connolly managed to do so.
Then there's Marcus Cannon, who will either be a right guard or a right tackle depending on how they move forward with Vollmer and Solder when Light retires (really hoping not this year).

-Jamman

If an argument sucks, it sucks, and Tippett's been posting lousy arguments all offseason. It's been a very bizarre offseason here, where a Super Bowl appearance seems to have driven multiple posters crazy enough to compete for the 'honor' of being the next Maverick.

It's a common offseason occurrence IMO. I'm definitely guilty of it myself sometimes... when you've got a few months to think about football without any new data being added, it tends to make the football mind go loopy. Kind of like leaving a sauce simmering on the stove: the longer it's there, the more tempted you are to throw in ingredients it doesn't really need.

Negative. Still need a WR.
The Pats definitely need youth at the position, but someone who can bring production as well in case of injury to the older players.

I think Welker will eventually sign. Branch will be back. He had 700 yards and 5 TDs last year, so hes still productive and Brady can depend on him. Lloyd obviously. Slater was signed.

The first TWO rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft should be strictly allocated towards the New England Patriots defense.

I agree.

Fix the defense. Its time. A stud WR in the first couple of rounds would be awesome, but there are bigger fish to fry.

BTW, you cant win with Deuseri. He will just run you around in circles like a dog chasing a rabbit. He never tires of psychobabble. Its his job. Save yourself while you can.

It's a common offseason occurrence IMO. I'm definitely guilty of it myself sometimes... when you've got a few months to think about football without any new data being added, it tends to make the football mind go loopy. Kind of like leaving a sauce simmering on the stove: the longer it's there, the more tempted you are to throw in ingredients it doesn't really need.

I hear you, but the level of ridiculousness around here is at a record high.

1.) The Patriots shouldn't draft a WR because they just drafted WRs. They should, though draft OLBs even though they just recently drafted OLBs (Cunningham, Crable).

2.) They shouldn't draft WRs because BB hasn't drafted and developed a WR since 2002, but they should draft an OLB even though the only OLB that could be considered to have been drafted and developed by BB is Tully Banta-Cain, who was drafted in 2003.

3.) They shouldn't draft WRs because they've addressed the position with veterans. They should draft DE/OLBs though, even though they've addressed those positions with veterans.

4.) You should count first round successes like Wilfork (2004) and Warren (2003), but you shouldn't count a second round success like Branch (2003) because that's from too far back.

That's just some of the silliness that's been around this season.

I agree.

Fix the defense. Its time. A stud WR in the first couple of rounds would be awesome, but there are bigger fish to fry.

BTW, you cant win with Deuseri. He will just run you around in circles like a dog chasing a rabbit. He never tires of psychobabble. Its his job. Save yourself while you can.
The Douche Awry is back on ignore. He is not worth my time.

I know. I've been reading your posts in the draft forum and know where you stand. Not sure where that message got so mangled in the process of this thread though.

I don't agree with looking at past drafts as a reason we shouldn't go after certain positions or players.

Before the 2010 draft, Belichick had drafted 7 TEs (if you count Garrett Mills) after the 1st round. David Thomas was far and away the best of that bunch, which says a lot. And while our two 1st rounders, Graham and Watson, weren't busts, they never made the impact we expected.

To top it off, the TE position seemed to be an afterthought in our offense. So why waste a 2nd AND 4th round pick on Gronkowski and Hernandez?

Also, with the failures of Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams, I'm sure a lot of people felt the Lions would have been justified in passing on Calvin Johnson. I think they made the right decision.

As for drafting a WR, sure, if they think the right guy is there. Maybe he would be buried down the depth chart, but with the number of rookie WRs making an immediate impact being pretty low, why would we want to wait until we NEED a WR?

Man what a waste of time plowing through 5 pages of BS from a few guys in love with their own "voices". Now back to the original premise of the thread. SHOULD the Pats draft a WR? The answer is decisively NO!

I don't doubt that the Pats need to eventually add some young WRs down the road, but they DO not need to THIS season. As it is they are going to have to cut at least 2 experienced and proven WRs. If you draft a WR you'd have to make that number 3, and he'd likely be the #5 WR and have little impact on this season. Add that to the fact there isn't anyone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that would be any better THIS season than what we already have. The only WR I can see that makes any sense would be Broyles, who you could take with our "red 6th pick and "red shirt" for a season.

THIS is the season to either trade up or trade out to 2013. THIS is the season to add defensive bodies. Add 2 guys to the front 7 and 2 guys to the back end, then trade the last 2 picks into 2013 and then call it a day.

So WRs in THIS draft - They are the most numerous commodity the NFL has to offer. Every year there are a dozen rated in the first 2 rounds of the draft and a dozen more proven FAs

A couple of miscellaneous points

1. During the BB era the 2 most successful rookie WRs were Branch and Edelman - Branch had around 440 yds his rookie year, while Edelman had around 370, though he saw a lot fewer snaps on the field BTW - if you add Edelman's playoff game, they are about the same.

2. In an offense where the 2 TEs get over 2000 yds in receptions and 24 TDs, the importance of your #3 and #4 WRs is greatly lessened compared to other offenses

3. How important to the offense is the #3WR? Can anyone name the #3 WR for the Pats in 2001 and how many catches he had? Yeah I know its a totally different offense, but also onw where the TE's had an minimal impact. The point is that unless the WRs are a key element in your offense the #3 guy isn't a critical factor. In 2007 he was. Not so much in 2001 and 2011

BTW- the guys name was Charles Johnson hand he had 11 catches for 111 yds.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I do agree that a rookie WR will likely get a good view of the bench and minimal playing time early. But is that really a bad thing? We know how difficult it is to not only learn the system, but also get on the same page with Brady. We know that because Brady is so competitive that he doesn't have a lot of patience developing WRs. So it is extremely difficult for a rookie WR to come in and learn the system well enough to get 1st team snaps and develop that relationship with Brady. So I think its important to bring in a WR a year early and let them sit and learn the system year 1 without a huge amount of pressure to perform. Year 2 when they know the system is where they get the snaps to develop that relationship with Brady.

Looking at Taylor Price as an example, I think the thing that hurt his development the most was Chad Ochocinco. Price already had a year in the system and I think he probably had a decent grasp of the system, but what he didn't have was time with Brady. With Chad coming in he never got that opportunity and didn't work out. I think we saw when Price was on the field with Hoyer, that he certainly had talent. And if Hoyer was the QB instead of Brady, I think Price would have worked out here because they had the snaps together to create that understanding.

We saw last year with Solder and Mallett that the Pats have no problem drafting guys high with the intention of having them sit early. So I don't see why WR would be any different.

Looking at the current roster, its important not to be too short sighted with the draft. WR might not be a big need in 2012, but it will be a HUGE need in 2013. Looking at who we currently have on the roster:

Wes Welker- Will be 31 years old for the 2012 season. Is currently on the franchise tag and if he doesn't sign a long term deal he will likely be franchised again in 2013 at almost $12mil.

Brandon Lloyd- Will be 31 year old problem child under contract for 3 years. He knows the system but needs time with Brady. He is certainly talented, but there is a high probability that he will eventually clash with Brady.

Deion Branch- 32 years old and on a 1 year deal. He is clearly declining and I can't see him playing beyond 2012, if he makes it through the season.

Chad Ochocinco- 34 years old, under contract through 2013. He couldn't learn the system last year and his skill set is declining. Even if he can make the roster and learn the system in 2012, its highly unlikely he is still on the roster in 2013 due to a combination of age, skill set and contract.

Donte' Stallworth- 31 years old on a 1 year contract. His skill set has clearly declined, and he has only caught 41 balls since he left in 2007. I think it will be tough for him to make the roster in 2012 and can't see him here in 2013.

Anthony Gonzalez- 27 years old, injury prone and on a 1 year deal. Only has 5 catches and more IR trips that TD's over the last 3 years. Even when healthy and active last year (8 games) he had 0 catches. Will struggle to make the roster in 2012 even if healthy. I don't see him back in 2013 because either a) he gets injured/doesn't perform or b) performs to a level where another team pays him more.

I don't consider Edelman or Slater WR's, and if Underwood or Brit Davis make the roster we have issues. So looking beyond 2012 we likely only have Welker on the franchise tag and Lloyd if he doesn't clash with Brady. That's it. We have seen this season that it isn't economically viable to fill a need at WR through free agency, with guys like Pierre Garcon getting big deals. And as has already been pointed out, its very difficult for rookie WR's to contribute right away, so that's not a great way to fill a hole. So I think now is the perfect time to draft a WR. Let them sit and learn the system this year. And next year when all of the Jag veterans are gone there should be enough snaps with Brady for them to develop. We would then have Welker, Lloyd and a rookie, with Branch, Ocho, Stallworth and Gonazlez fighting it out for 2 spots.

The success the Pats have had drafting WR's I think is a completely different argument. I think the approach they have taken and the types of WR's they have drafted obviously hasn't worked. But instead of not drafting WRs I think they need to look at why the guys they have drafted haven't worked and what they need to change. I don't think you can be scared to draft a position just because you have had some busts in the past. BB didn't stop drafting TE's after some difficulties before Gronk and Hernandez. San Diego didn't stop drafting QB's after Ryan Leaf.

I would also argue we saw the need for a quality #3 WR where the lack of a decent option may have cost us the Super Bowl. Injuries are an inevitable part of the game, so when someone goes down you need to have others pick up the slack. With Gronk less effective we needed that other option to step up and it simply didn't happen. I would also argue we were far too reliant on our TE's and we need greater production from our #3 and #4 WRs. Especially going forward when everyone is going to be trying to use TE's, teams will have a lot more experience stopping them. I don't think you can expect the same kind of production out of Gronk and Hernandez that we got in 2011.

I know. I've been reading your posts in the draft forum and know where you stand. Not sure where that message got so mangled in the process of this thread though.
When the injuries piled up last year, Bill Belichick decided to cut a developmental wide receiver in lieu of every other position. Who is to say the same won't occur during the 2012 NFL Season? In addition, Lloyd and Stallworth already know the New England Patriots offensive system. Furthermore, Gonzalez was an excellent route runner for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Ryan Broyles, WR from Oklahoma, could be a steal in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Stash Broyles on injured reserve and allow him to fully recover from a torn ACL.

Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The bonus with Broyles is his ability to return punts.

When the injuries piled up last year, Bill Belichick decided to cut a developmental wide receiver in lieu of every other position. Who is to say the same won't occur during the 2012 NFL Season? In addition, Lloyd and Stallworth already know the New England Patriots offensive system. Furthermore, Gonzalez was an excellent route runner for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Ryan Broyles, WR from Oklahoma, could be a steal in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Stash Broyles on injured reserve and allow him to fully recover from a torn ACL.

Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The bonus with Broyles is his ability to return punts.

But you just told me yesterday that you wanted WR with the first two picks...

;)

We saw last year with Solder and Mallett that the Pats have no problem drafting guys high with the intention of having them sit early. So I don't see why WR would be any different.

Looking at the current roster, its important not to be too short sighted with the draft. WR might not be a big need in 2012, but it will be a HUGE need in 2013. Looking at who we currently have on the roster:

I think it's certainly a possibility that the team could draft a WR prospect for the future, although we are all likely in agreement that it's not an immediate need for 2012.

As you said, that hasn't stopped them before from taking prospects to build for the future.

Hopefully, there will be a priority of sorts which primarily focuses on the defensive side of the ball more, at least with the earlier picks.

I do not think that many of the WR's that are listed besides Welker, Llyod, Edelman, and ONE of Branch/Johnson/Stallworth are "safe" from being upgraded if possible. Most posters will differ on their opinions as to who is safe and who is not safe, but I think it's reasonable to consider 4 WR positions safe right now, with Welker and Llyod being the 2 of 4.

Edelman, as always in many discussions, is a wildcard of sorts; depending upon where you'd personally put him as a position.

I'm fine with taking a WR, but I certainly hope to see defensive picks with at least 2 of the picks through the second round. Anything less will be very bad, in my opinion. There are weaknesses, needs, and positions that need upgrading and depth on that side of the ball more.

With 4 total picks through the 2nd rd, I am imagining the possibility of 2 defensive picks, 1 offensive pick, and 1 trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference