PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Nick Caserio’s resume as Texans GM

this myth that you can only build a team with high picks needs to die. you act like there are no good players outside of the top 5.

Our 2nd dynasty was generally built with lower picks. gronk, mccourty, hightower, collins, hernandez, jones, joe thuney etc. I can go on and on. and plenty of teams find good players without high picks. we just whiffed the last few years....
And no one said your first sentence.

Who said that?

Not me. I wrote we're crediting Caserio with 3 great draft picks, all in the top 3.

That's what had me wishing they'd at least interview Slowik. Phenom or not, Stroud is a rookie. And the results on the field make you forget that this rookie is working with weapons that are all mid-low-round picks. Having a coaching opening and not even trying to interview a guy like Slowik is mind-boggling.
I don't hate the Mayo hire but he was certainly not my first choice. I agree I wish we brought in a guy like Slowik, Bienemy, or Ben Johnson even if they thought Mayo would still be the guy at the end of the day why not get some insight into how these guys want to run a team or how they approach a modern NFL offense? Worst case scenario you get some insight when hiring offensive coaches going forward and you still hand the HC job to Mayo. I take a little comfort in Kraft's track record with head coaches and the fact he seems to have this much conviction when it comes to Mayo but I do which we would have taken a look at Slowik after he helped do exactly what we will likely being doing this season; rebuilding with a highly drafted rookie QB.

this myth that you can only build a team with high picks needs to die. you act like there are no good players outside of the top 5.

Our 2nd dynasty was generally built with lower picks. gronk, mccourty, hightower, collins, hernandez, jones, joe thuney etc. I can go on and on. and plenty of teams find good players without high picks. we just whiffed the last few years....
The Bill homers still trot out this tired argument. Somehow the good players in the draft dry up after 20 picks and poor Bill was damned by his own greatness and didn't get many chances to take one of those top 20 guys!

I listened to him on a few houston radio spots recently that went into some depth. When he's not doing official GM non-speak, and actually talks football, very knowledgeable, interesting and even has a sense of humor. who knew? Nonetheless, so much of this is luck. Apparently they were considering trading up for Bryce Young and settled for Stroud. Brilliance or luck?

Edit: he did not say they were interested in trading up, just local talk radio speculation, and we know how accurate that can be.

Wait until next year when things get tougher for them with a first place schedule.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back