PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Nick Caserio’s resume as Texans GM

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

•Traded Deshaun Watson for 3 first round picks
•Drafted 1,200 yard WR Nico Collins (pats didn’t draft one in the BB era)
•Drafted Stingley, Pitre & Harris in 2022
•Aggressive trade up for Will Anderson in 2023
•Drafted C.J. Stroud
•Drafted Tank Dell in the 3rd round

Caserio was blamed for the decline in drafts here. He’s already turned the Texans in a superbowl contender & hit on two WRs in three drafts.

Super Bowl contender because they beat Cleveland.

•Drafted C.J. Stroud

Caserio was blamed for the decline in drafts here. He’s already turned the Texans in a superbowl contender & hit on two WRs in three drafts.

I guess he's responsible for all 6 of ours then and it was all him.

Hard not to say he's done a great job.

A few ex-Patriots staffers/scouts have gone on to do well as GMs or in high-ranking positions in other front offices. I look at Jason Licht in Tampa, Thomas Dimitroff when he was in Atlanta. Trey Brown in Cincy is an ex-Pats scout who is a hot GM candidate. Adam Peters was THE hottest GM candidate this cycle who was also an ex-NE scout and is now Washington's GM. Monti Ossenfort has recently become the Arizona GM, let's see how he does. Kind of hard to judge Ziegler's brief work in Vegas.

Obviously not everyone was great - Pioli was so-so outside of NE, Jon Robinson famously dumped AJ Brown for pennies in Tennessee - but it seems like the team does do a good job of creating quality personnel guys overall. So it is fair to wonder why they've been seemingly below-par at drafting themselves the past decade.

As always, getting The Guy at QB helps a lot. And having the #2 overall pick helps find that guy. He's done a great job, and I think he got unfairly maligned here for sure. But I don't think he's reinventing the wheel over there. As always, sustainability once the draft picks start regularly coming in the late twenties will be the real test. Either way, happy for him! Seems like a good guy who loves all aspects of football.

Hard not to say he's done a great job.

A few ex-Patriots staffers/scouts have gone on to do well as GMs or in high-ranking positions in other front offices. I look at Jason Licht in Tampa, Thomas Dimitroff when he was in Atlanta. Trey Brown in Cincy is an ex-Pats scout who is a hot GM candidate. Adam Peters was THE hottest GM candidate this cycle who was also an ex-NE scout and is now Washington's GM. Monti Ossenfort has recently become the Arizona GM, let's see how he does. Kind of hard to judge Ziegler's brief work in Vegas.

Obviously not everyone was great - Pioli was so-so outside of NE, Jon Robinson famously dumped AJ Brown for pennies in Tennessee - but it seems like the team does do a good job of creating quality personnel guys overall. So it is fair to wonder why they've been seemingly below-par at drafting themselves the past decade.

The amazing part of this post to me is just how many Patriots scouts got jobs running other teams. Success there aside, the amount of brain drain that the Pats had in their front office and coaching staff over the years was incredibly disruptive. I'm sure it didn't help some of the personnel struggles of late.

The amazing part of this post to me is just how many Patriots scouts got jobs running other teams. Success there aside, the amount of brain drain that the Pats had in their front office and coaching staff over the years was incredibly disruptive. I'm sure it didn't help some of the personnel struggles of late.
Definitely, but I think especially so in the past few years with Caserio's departure and then Ziegler's departure a year later. They both heavily pilfered the scouting department, along with Josh poaching coaches. While teams often fire the GM, they frequently keep the scouts. This is part of Adam Peters' saga - when Josh McDaniels went to Denver, Adam Peters went with him as a scout. Even though McDaniels was fired in 2010, Peters was kept and promoted a year later in Denver, got promoted a couple more times and eventually took another promotion in SF. And now to Washington.

I think Caserio has done a very good job, but I cannot give him much credit for the stupidity of the Browns for way overpaying for Watson. By reports, the Browns were just stupid in being overly aggressive in getting Watson when they found out he was willing to go to them for a price.

Caserio did ultimately do the right thing in the overall Watson situation and still will have gotten a haul even if he went to another team like Atlanta, but Cleveland made the trade that much better for him.

And I wonder what Caserio would have done if both Young and Stroud were available at #2 as originally expected when the Bears had the pick. I think I heard reports that Caserio was higher on Young.

•Drafted C.J. Stroud

Cassario scoffed at coming back here the day after bb left

When you consider the number of extra games that the Pats played over the years with that wear and tear, the brain drain as you point out both on field and front office, the bottom end draft position - not to mention the NYJFL thumb on the scales with BS draft choice penalties, it is near miraculous that BB was able to keep the ship on course for as long as he did. The system is simply stacked against doing it.

Cassario scoffed at coming back here the day after bb left

Why would he leave Houston? He is building a team the way he wants it there and they are an up and coming team. Even if they get blown out in the division round, they look to be on their way to be a legitimate contender for years to come.

Kind of lends credence to the personnel guys here being overruled by Bill......probably those guys felt unheard here in new england having their suggestions not being heard or just ignored.

•Drafted C.J. Stroud

And it was incredibly hard to do, with him picking so many guys in the top 5!!!!!

Come on people, apples to oranges. Look where Stingley, Stroud and Anderson were picked.

his greatness was held back by BB in the draft room

They can beat anyone in the AFC. Pretty wide open.

Plus they landed a franchise QB.

He absolutely gets credit for the work hes done so far.

Yes and No.

I mean he was handed a ransom from the Browns for Watson...and turned that into Will Anderson basically...and still has some ammo left over. Stroud was also an easy decision after Young went off the board.

But yeah, nice job on the rest though....the coaching pick and the other key players.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back