PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seriously...why is it taking so long?

So. What.

You seem to be laboring under the misconception that this is some sort of court of law, where reality matters.

Goodell can very simply say "The rule says the balls need to be 12.5-13.5 PSI during the game. The balls were not. Therefore we are levying a fine of $X". As for enforcing that rule -- it's trivial to enforce -- you measure the balls during the game and see if they are under.

I know, I know. You're gonna say "science says the balls had to be under pressure." Aye, 'tis true. But again, So. What.

And once again Kraft's retort is simple. Insist that Goodell measure and fine each subsequent "offending" club increasing amounts for their defiance. By mid-December all northern clubs and their visitors will be suspended for a year. Take 'em all down with you Bobby!

I think that Goodell is taking the "I ain't saying **** and everyone will forget it ever happen" approach.

Someone noted that when Goodell gave his "State of the NFL" conference before the Super Bowl, it was the first time that Kraft hasn't been there for it.

I don't know why Kraft supported Goodell in the wake of Rice/Peterson-gate, but it's been noted elsewhere that if Goodell loses Kraft, his Goose-dell is cooked.

Now that we just learned that the NFL is finally investigating the Rats for possibly tampering with Revis and negotiating with him prior to him being a free agent, it occurred to me that perhaps Kraft has threatened his job and Goodell may realize he has to honestly investigate the Rats and hammer them if he hopes to continue in his position.

It's possible and I certainly hope so. The Rats have been stalking and sullying the Pats' reputation and public image for a long time. Time to shine a light and get the Rats scurrying for cover.

Pun most definitely intended.

From your lips Gr8est, to Goodell's ears

Man, Troy Vincent has a funny concept of "2 to 3 days".

Did Vincent say that before or after Jan 23rd? If it was before it is irrelevant, because before the 23rd Wells hadn't been put in charge.

My guess (stolen from someone else here) was that Kensil was running things and was planning to wrap it up that soon, but then Kraft pressured Goodell into hiring Wells and taking the investigation away from Kensil.

Troy Vincent also told Adrian Petersen that he,d miss only two games, he eithers talks before thinking or is out of the loop.

Did Vincent say that before or after Jan 23rd? If it was before it is irrelevant, because before the 23rd Wells hadn't been put in charge.

My guess (stolen from someone else here) was that Kensil was running things and was planning to wrap it up that soon, but then Kraft pressured Goodell into hiring Wells and taking the investigation away from Kensil.

I was just making a smart ass comment. But I think you're right...that was said during the week the whole BS started, before the Belichick/Kraft double fingers to the media.

Have to believe the Wells report will be issued prior to the owner's meeting later in the month. The NFL front office has significant problems which need to be collectively addressed by the owners.

My long-term concern is while it's not deserved, the accumulating Hatriot feelings will hurt a number of Patriots making the HoF. BB and TB can't be denied. Kraft and Ty Law gets in. But the rest will need more help....out of 45, only 9 can keep a candidate out of the HoF. In 15 or 20 years, expect to hear various excuses to hide they just don't like the Patriots, then you see players with equal or less credentials get in.

I wouldn't worry about it. Borges is the local rep on the committee. You can be sure that he will fight tooth and nail to keep any Patriots from the Hall of Fame. It'll be a hoot watching him argue against Belichick and Brady, but he will.

Have to believe the Wells report will be issued prior to the owner's meeting later in the month. The NFL front office has significant problems which need to be collectively addressed by the owners.

I hope you're right because that would mean this week. The NFL Annual Meeting goes from 3/22-3/25. They could release the report Friday afternoon when the main focus will be on the NCAA tournament, if they want some "cover."

I hope you're right because that would mean this week. The NFL Annual Meeting goes from 3/22-3/25. They could release the report Friday afternoon when the main focus will be on the NCAA tournament, if they want some "cover."

I think it'll either be this week or next week (i.e. just after meeting ends).

They'd probably love to do it after the meeting ends (so owners and Goodell aren't constantly asked about it, and so Goodell can slip away at the end of the meeting).

I was initially in that camp but the more I think about it the more I think it'll be this week. I've read that the league wants to put a revised ball-handling protocol before the owners for consideration and if they're going to do that they're going to have to release the report ahead of/during the meeting since the owners will want to see the basis for any new recommendations.

I was initially in that camp but the more I think about it the more I think it'll be this week. I've read that the league wants to put a revised ball-handling protocol before the owners for consideration and if they're going to do that they're going to have to release the report ahead of/during the meeting since the owners will want to see the basis for any new recommendations.

I think you're likely spot on again rlcarr. Here comes another dog & pony show from the NFL - we had this ridiculous investigation, but look at our shiny new ball protocols that justify the expense and embarrassment to the league!

To the idea that the league is going to dump the results of all their outstanding items all in one go, and wait for a preoccupied time to do it (ie, start of March Madness maybe???) this adds weight maybe:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports that the NFL "continues to run delay tactics" in the Greg Hardy case, and that an announcement may not come until Wednesday.

Ugh, the league better not pull some s**t where they tie the investigation into an announcement of better ball handling procedures because it implies that there was wrongdoing on the Pats part. It would basically be "well, we don't know what happened so here's what we will do from now on." We do know what happened! It's called science!

Ugh, the league better not pull some s**t where they tie the investigation into an announcement of better ball handling procedures because it implies that there was wrongdoing on the Pats part. It would basically be "well, we don't know what happened so here's what we will do from now on." We do know what happened! It's called science!

The Pats blinded them with science.

:rolleyes:

I wonder if Goodell has someone checking out this website?....

What was the plan again to beat his ass next time he comes to Gillette? :D

The NFL needs ball handling procedures. The way they word it in relation to this Deflategate scandal will be "interesting". I can't wait until Brady and co. silence the critics re: fumbling issues/interception. because of a deflated ball.

They could ignore that and still maintain that there were 90 seconds where the balls were unaccounted for, therefore they need stricter ball-handling. They are going to change the conversation into one about what they need to do to avoid tampering, and ignore the fact that the Patriots didn't tamper. It will leave the impression that we did, in fact, tamper. It's the best possible outcome for the NFL at this point, and minimizes their embarrassment.

They could ignore that and still maintain that there were 90 seconds where the balls were unaccounted for, therefore they need stricter ball-handling. They are going to change the conversation into one about what they need to do to avoid tampering, and ignore the fact that the Patriots didn't tamper. It will leave the impression that we did, in fact, tamper. It's the best possible outcome for the NFL at this point, and minimizes their embarrassment.

But I just can't believe Kraft would allow that at this point in the game. Everything he's done since that day he landed in Arizona seems to suggest that he isn't going to take this s**t anymore.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back