PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SD's Last 10 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow did someone really just say Castillo is better than Seymour? You guys are pretty fair weathered football fans if you actually believe this.

And to everyone saying you were 6 points from 16-0, you were also 6 points and a blown call away from being 11-5. (at Buffalo, at Seattle, and the Oakland mystery fumble call).

You played the NFC west (4 easy wins) and the Raiders twice.

The Bolts are good, but nothing about this team scares me, not even LT. All pros aside, your defense is mediocre and gave up under 20 points twice after week 6. In contrast, we've given up more than 20 4 times this season.

I've been saying it all week, and last week as well, this game is time for our Oline to step up. If they don't, it's going to be a long day. If they do, then I really don't see the Chargers out scoring us. Buffalo Denver and Baltimore are the only top 10 defenses you've played all year.

hey man I respect the patriots as a decent team historically. In 1963 we beat your boys for the AFL championship. I've seen the pats in the bowl in 86 96? whichever year it was they los to the pack. And also through recent times. However, THIS Chargers team is better than THIS patriots team. Both teams have a chance to win but you HAVE to see the Chargers as the better team in this one. I mean 5 all pro's 9 pro bowlers # 1 seed in the afc the NFL's best team. The Chargers are just destined for greatness this year.

I'm not denying that you guys have a good team with a lot of young exciting talent. But we both know that Pro Bowls and All pro voting is absolute trash. The Pats went 14-2 in back to back seasons and barely sent anyone to the pro bowl.

2001 - #1 seed Steelers 13-3 - Lost AFC championship game
2002 - #1 seed Raiders 11-5 - Lost the SB
2004 - #1 seed Steelers 15-1 - Lost AFC championship game
2005 - #1 Seed Colts 14-2 - Lost in the divisional round

Alot of teams seemed destin for greatness and have lost. Not saying you guys won't or can't win, I just think a few of you are overrating your team just a bit. Barely beating Oakland at home? I could see a tough road loss to a bad division opponent (see Miami for us), but at home?

Here is what I am looking at in this matchup:

Your corners are bad and it will be hard to get to Brady - out of the spread formation (look at the Jags and Jets game). That should neutralize/limit that great LB corps that you guys have.

70% of your entire offense comes from Gates and LT. Rivers depends to much on Gates in the passing game and when Gates gets taken away Rivers looks bad. LT will get 100-125 yards on Sunday but that won't be enough to beat the Pats (unless they fumble the ball 3 times or more) because Gates will be double teamed all game - with a Safety over and a LB under. Look back to the KC game of a few weeks ago to see what Rivers looks like without Gates.

Tomlinson on the Seem routes in open spaces scares the **** out of me! We can't allow him to get out of the back field clean or else he will chew our safeties up.

But again Tomlinson is the majority of your offense and it goes as he goes. If he gets contained and by contained I mean 100-125 rushing yards 15-30 receiving yards and 1 TD - do you think Rivers can beat the Pats?

The Chargers can be run on - how do they stop Dillon, Maroney and Faulk?

Which DB is good enough to make Tom pay for a bad throw?

Oh, how quickly the former perennial doormat forgets. Up until '01, the Fins/Jets/Colts and even the Bills were running the same smack at you. It didn't alter your SB chances. You guys are the last dynasty. We are the next one, so it's only fitting that we should have to beat you to prove our mettle.

You have to at least win a superbowl before you start calling yourselves a dynasty

Rewind 2001. Ricky Proehl telling the camera the dynasty is here before the superbowl.

Fastforward 3 hours. Ricky Proehl crying on the sidelines :D

For the upcoming games, do the injuries matter if the player will not be playing? So what that Gay and Wilson are IR'ed; we do not have them for the game against SD anyway. The fact that Warren did not play against the Jets last time may have made a real difference.

Let's all pray for Rodney, although I know it's very optimistic to think he will play.

Or maybe our players just play hurt more than yours do.

If your backups are better than our starters, how come the Pats put up better defensive numbers this year, while playing a tougher schedule in terms of opposing offense? Football Outsiders says that the Pats D held opponents to over 5 ppg below their average output. The Bolts D? Less than 1/2 a point ppg. So your defense was roughly league average, you just played weaker offensive opponents.

Oh, that's right. The INJURIES. I do think it's interesting that you are implying that Merriman's absence was due to "injury". Next time, he shouldn't walk barefoot in the needle factory.

as i already proved, the points allowed figure is skewed. you must take into account the difference between points for and points allowed, since scoring more points gives the opposition more opportunities to score. the chargers are not a ball hogging team. they don't run the clock out (learned their lesson after handing the ravens the game in baltimore). the chargers are a gun slinging team, betting that they can score more points on you than you can on them. shot for shot, shootouts. that's the difference in the stats.

what it comes down to is total opponent possessions. i'd be willing to bet that the chargers stand up pretty well in the points per possession stat.

Except that you are showing you done't know where the core of the 2001 team came from. The core (Brown, Bruschi, McGinest, Milloy, Law) were a part of the 1996 team. As were many of the coaches. So, yes, I feel I can start it there.

Really? best draft record the last 3 years? Impressive. Pats have been almost as impressive. Guys like Maroney, O'Callaghan, Kaczur, Mankins, Wilfork, Watson, Sanders, Hobbs, Cassell, Thomas, Gostkowski.

Also, I think it would be dumb to trade Turner. He's better than any RB in the draft. And, it would leave a huge hole behind LT should anything happen to him.

Oh i'm sorry, I must have missed the story of how many pro bowls those guys have combined for. Those are solid players, just not as good as the guys the Bolts have picked up in the same span.

I also would prefer to keep turner, but he's a restricted free agent and it will be difficult to keep him. We'll give him the highest tender, assuring us a 1st and 3rd round pick for him, but if someone like the Jets offers him a ridiculous contract, we won't be able to match it.

Last edited:
Wow did someone really just say Castillo is better than Seymour? You guys are pretty fair weathered football fans if you actually believe this.

And to everyone saying you were 6 points from 16-0, you were also 6 points and a blown call away from being 11-5. (at Buffalo, at Seattle, and the Oakland mystery fumble call).

You played the NFC west (4 easy wins) and the Raiders twice.

The Bolts are good, but nothing about this team scares me, not even LT. All pros aside, your defense is mediocre and gave up under 20 points twice after week 6. In contrast, we've given up more than 20 4 times this season.

I've been saying it all week, and last week as well, this game is time for our Oline to step up. If they don't, it's going to be a long day. If they do, then I really don't see the Chargers out scoring us. Buffalo Denver and Baltimore are the only top 10 defenses you've played all year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Many scouts believe Seymour only shows up against weaker competition and does not always give full effort. **** Vermeil called Castillo the best defensive linemen he's seen in the league since he returned to coaching in '98. Castillo bested Seymour's numbers while missing most of the 2nd half of the season.

And some stats for our new guests:

(Since 1994 when Kraft bought the team)

9 Playoff appearances
7 Division titles
4 AFC Championships
4 SB appearances
3 SB victories
10 winning seasons
1 8-8 season
2 losing seasons
Missed the playoffs in consecutive years only once.
Missed the Playoffs 4 times
Compiled a 14-5 Playoff record
117-75 Regular season record
Won 10 or more games in 8 seasons

Statistically the Pats have done the following since 1994:

(These numbers don't include this years wild card games)
Participated in 33% of the SB's
Won 17% of all AFC playoff games played.
Played in 23% of all AFC playoff games played

as i already proved, the points allowed figure is skewed. you must take into account the difference between points for and points allowed, since scoring more points gives the opposition more opportunities to score. the chargers are not a ball hogging team. they don't run the clock out (learned their lesson after handing the ravens the game in baltimore). the chargers are a gun slinging team, betting that they can score more points on you than you can on them. shot for shot, shootouts. that's the difference in the stats.

what it comes down to is total opponent possessions. i'd be willing to bet that the chargers stand up pretty well in the points per possession stat.

And ask the Colts how that has worked out for them!

You have to at least win a superbowl before you start calling yourselves a dynasty

Rewind 2001. Ricky Proehl telling the camera the dynasty is here before the superbowl.

Fastforward 3 hours. Ricky Proehl crying on the sidelines :D

It's called a prediction. Those with some sack make them. I'm confident that the Chargers are going to win the SB this year, so that's why I say they are the next dynasty.

The Pats will be a tough test, but the Bolts are up for the challenge. There's a reason the Pats could not win in Denver last year. They are not the team they once were.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Many scouts believe Seymour only shows up against weaker competition and does not always give full effort. **** Vermeil called Castillo the best defensive linemen he's seen in the league since he returned to coaching in '98. Castillo bested Seymour's numbers while missing most of the 2nd half of the season.

Was **** Vermeil in tears when he made that comment? :D

And some stats for our new guests:

(Since 1994 when Kraft bought the team)

9 Playoff appearances
7 Division titles
4 AFC Championships
4 SB appearances
3 SB victories
10 winning seasons
1 8-8 season
2 losing seasons
Missed the playoffs in consecutive years only once.
Missed the Playoffs 4 times
Compiled a 14-5 Playoff record
117-75 Regular season record
Won 10 or more games in 8 seasons

Statistically the Pats have done the following since 1994:

(These numbers don't include this years wild card games)
Participated in 33% of the SB's
Won 17% of all AFC playoff games played.
Played in 23% of all AFC playoff games played

That's all dandy, but as your Pat bretheren have pointed out, you can't call yourselves a dynasty until you win a SB. That's 2001.

It's called a prediction. Those with some sack make them. I'm confident that the Chargers are going to win the SB this year, so that's why I say they are the next dynasty.

The Pats will be a tough test, but the Bolts are up for the challenge. There's a reason the Pats could not win in Denver last year. They are not the team they once were.

There is a distinct difference between a sack and ****y stupidity.

SB XXIII: Cris Collinsworth to Bengals teammate before Joe Montana's game-winning drive for 49ers, after teammate began prematurely celebrating, "Don't you see who's at quarterback out there?"

:rocker: :rocker:

There is a distinct difference between a sack and ****y stupidity.

SB XXIII: Cris Collinsworth to Bengals teammate before Joe Montana's game-winning drive for 49ers, after teammate began prematurely celebrating, "Don't you see who's at quarterback out there?"

:rocker: :rocker:

So the phuk what? We aren't the plucky little Bengals hanging in with the big, bad Niners. We are the superior team. You are coming to our house. We are the SB favorites, so why is it out of line for me to expect to win a SB this year? If you were in my shoes, you'd feel the same way.

I can cobble it together.

Pats allowed 237 points this season. That number includes 3 TDs (18 points) off of turnovers and special teams. Defense faced 950 total plays.

Chargers allowed 303 points this season. That number only factors in one INT for a TD. Defense faced 985 total plays.

Not exactly what you were looking for but pretty close. Do the math.

That's all dandy, but as your Pat bretheren have pointed out, you can't call yourselves a dynasty until you win a SB. That's 2001.

True but that was in response to the doormat comments. If I read it correctly the comments you are referring to were based on someone saying that they could claim the chargers "dynasty" started in in the superbowl loss but that is an ignorant statement. Your team has made the playoffs how many times in the past 12 years? Two if I recall correctly.

By the way lay off the Pro Bowl non-sense. Again just ask the Colts how having all those Pro Bowl players worked out for them last year?

Would you honestly take Rivers over Brady?

lol look at the numbers in the amount of games. It's obvious Castillo is better than Richard Seymour. I have respect for seymour don't get me wrong. BUt he is no castillo. Plus he doesn't have a pass rusher the caliber or merriman or phillips behind him.

Individual defensive stats are probably the most misleading, often misunderstood stat in football.

I can cobble it together.

Pats allowed 237 points this season. That number includes 3 TDs (18 points) off of turnovers and special teams. Defense faced 950 total plays.

Chargers allowed 303 points this season. That number only factors in one INT for a TD. Defense faced 985 total plays.

Not exactly what you were looking for but pretty close. Do the math.

not looking for total plays, i'm looking for possessions. i'll keep searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes