PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SD's Last 10 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second place team is the first loser. Your team has done nothing this year or in the past. Just year upon year of misery. :D

Oh, how quickly the former perennial doormat forgets. Up until '01, the Fins/Jets/Colts and even the Bills were running the same smack at you. It didn't alter your SB chances. You guys are the last dynasty. We are the next one, so it's only fitting that we should have to beat you to prove our mettle.

10/01 13-16 L @ BAL
10/22 27-30 L @ KC

so.... if the chargers are 14-2... and they only lost these two games... please explain how they weren't 6 points away from being 16-0. who's being delusional now?

Very easily. If you add 3 points to the Chargers Score of the Baltimore game and 3 points to the Chargers score of the KC game, that makes it a TIE in both cases. That is still not 16-0. The Chargers would have needed 4 more points in each game to win. That makes 8.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. The Chargers lost. It doesn't matter whether it was by 3 points or 30. They lost and their regular season record was 14-2. And if they go 1 and done like the Colts did with a 15-1 record, then it doesn't matter. They aren't considered amongst the best.

Sorry that you don't like the truth.

Only to people like yourself. Having a good back-up at one spot isn't the same as having good back-ups an numerous spots.

if you had paid attention you would have realized that merriman wasn't the only player who was replaced. scroll back to see my posts about olshansky, phillips, castillo, and foley.

It does whn you are talking about the Patriots philosphy towards the game. Maybe you should not comment on things you clearly don't know ANYTHING about. Or, better yet, go read some books on the Patriots if you are going to insist on making comments about their team philosophy.

All this is just garbage because you don't understand the pats philosophy. Its also because you are just truly ignorant in general and insist on making things up because you don't have a clue.

you are embarrassing yourself here. your fellow patriot fans will start to turn on you if you keep arguing that your defense doesn't try to sack the QB. i suggest you quit while you still have some sort of dignity.

If the writers count as fans, then they count. You have this incessant need to try and prove people wrong, yet you contradict yourself in doing so because you simply can't be bothered to read what is actually said.

um, YOU were the one who "simply can't be bothered to read what is actually said." you listed fans, players, coaches, and writers as the contributing voters to decide who goes to the pro-bowl. you INCORRECTLY included the writers in that list, implying that their votes were given special consideration. in reality, fans = 1/3 of the vote, players = 1/3, coaches = 1/3. why didn't you list it as, "fans, players, coaches, writers, players' wives, team doctors, referees, stadium beer guys, etc." you were wrong. admit it and move on.

What is comical is that you think that the Pro-Bowl selections mean anything. They don't. The Pro-Bowl is a farce and half the best players aren't even there. And, for your information, it has nothing to do with who my favorite players are.

pro-bowl selections mean a lot, it's a great honor for the players, which is why many of them are so grateful when they are selected. the players of the winning team for that game are awarded a bonus that is probably more than you make in a year.

What is childish is the fact that you can't accept when you are wrong and you have to attempt to prove yourself right. What ends up happening is that you just make a bigger fool of yourself.

I couldn't have described you better.

Like your claim that San Diego was putting in their 2nd stringers just because SD put 2 guys on the field for a series, yet all of their other starters were still on the field at the end of the game.

i am STILL waiting for you to provide me with that proof. why even bring that up when you KNOW it doesn't exist? admit you're wrong, and move on buddy. you're gettign embarrassed here...

how about this stat merriman 17sacks in 12 games. new englands starting linebacking core colvin,bruschi,seau,vrabel,banta cain 21. sacks combined for the season. wow! for a team as a poster stated runs a 2gap 3-4 with the lb getting after the qb dont seem that impressive.

castillo is better than seymore and that is not homer hype castillo only played in 9.5 games this year and remarkably still out paced seymore 15 game performances.

castillo 38 tackles 7 sacks 9.5 games
seymore 41 tackles 4 sacks 15 games

who's the homer?

i know new england has had injuries this year but how many of your starters on the defensive side of the ball?

igor starting rde missed 5 games weeks 1-4 and weeks 7-8
jamal williams nt missed 1 game week 6
luis castillo lde missed 6 games 10-13 16-17
merriman olb missed 4 games week 9-12
randall godfrey mlb missed 3 games weeks 14,16-17
sean phillips olb missed 3 games weeks 7-9
steve foley olb missed everygame this year shot
kiel ss missed 2 games week 4 and week 17
mcree fs missed 3 games weeks 2, 12-13

43 games missed due injuries/suspensions to the starting lineup yet we managed to go 14-2. believe our defense is not that good and you will soon see the reason why our stats are not as good as they should be. injuries

if you hear the chant you cant run sunday on the tv new england is in trouble. good luck any other game but verse the bolts.....

Oh, how quickly the former perennial doormat forgets. Up until '01, the Fins/Jets/Colts and even the Bills were running the same smack at you. It didn't alter your SB chances. You guys are the last dynasty. We are the next one, so it's only fitting that we should have to beat you to prove our mettle.

You know, I laugh when people think that the Patriots dynasty is over and that it even started back in 2001. It actually started back in 1996 when the Pats went to the SB and lost to the Packers. Since 1996, the Pats have a record of 113 wins - 63 losses. They have 4 SB appearances. 6 Division titles, 5 in the last 6 years, 4 AFC Titles.

The Pats put up a 12-4 record this year and they seem to be getting better. They have 2 1st round picks, 6 other picks and should receive 4 comp picks this year because of who they lost as free agents. They're best players are entering their prime or are in their prime and the Pats have a lot of good youth coming in.

Don't count on Brady having all day to throw against the best front seven in football...

Brady isn't playing against the Pats defense. What a weird concept.

The Pats have been anything but doormats since 1994. So I suggest you do some research!

1) Its amazing how your reading ability stinks. You were asked a simple question. All you had to do was answer it with "No, i wasn't the one who said that the Chargers took out their starters for most of the 2nd half" Instead, you act like a reject and don't answer the question and insist on putting words in my mouth. As you have done through-out this entire thread.

your question was answered. i'll post my reply again for you to read:

hmm, please show me where i told everyone just a few posts ago that the chargers had the game in hand and that they played their 2nd stringers for most of the 2nd half. i can't seem to find it.

i do recall saying that offensive players were pulled, namely rivers and ladanian (both due to injury).

"sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're an idiot rather than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

2) I have no reason to surrender because I haven't done any back-pedaling in this thread.

http://www.denial.com

3) I will re-word my question so that it applies to directly to what you said since I did goof and attribute some other things to you that another SDfan said.

Why wouldn't San Diego put in its 11 back-ups on defense since you would like to claim that they are all so great? Or each 7 of 11? Rotating in your normal subs is not "playing your second stringers" is it?

thank you for finally admitting that you goofed. you spent multiple paragraphs saying that you didn't... then you admit that you did. i guess it eventually made sense as you were typing.

to answer your question:
San Diego wouldn't put in 11 backups on defense because home field advantage was still up for grabs. yes, they did start to play more of their substitutes as the game clock wound down. the chargers changed their defensive scheme towards the end of the game to a 4-3 from a 3-4, that is not a "normal substitution". many of the people who played in that game were not "second stringers".

Very easily. If you add 3 points to the Chargers Score of the Baltimore game and 3 points to the Chargers score of the KC game, that makes it a TIE in both cases. That is still not 16-0. The Chargers would have needed 4 more points in each game to win. That makes 8.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. The Chargers lost. It doesn't matter whether it was by 3 points or 30. They lost and their regular season record was 14-2. And if they go 1 and done like the Colts did with a 15-1 record, then it doesn't matter. They aren't considered amongst the best.

Sorry that you don't like the truth.

haha! touche there buddy. :rocker:

You know, I laugh when people think that the Patriots dynasty is over and that it even started back in 2001. It actually started back in 1996 when the Pats went to the SB and lost to the Packers. Since 1996, the Pats have a record of 113 wins - 63 losses. They have 4 SB appearances. 6 Division titles, 5 in the last 6 years, 4 AFC Titles.

The Pats put up a 12-4 record this year and they seem to be getting better. They have 2 1st round picks, 6 other picks and should receive 4 comp picks this year because of who they lost as free agents. They're best players are entering their prime or are in their prime and the Pats have a lot of good youth coming in.

best players are in their prime? lb core needs to be replaced soon...vrabel bruschi seau? i like your dline your secondary could improve outside of samuels your wr are not that great i like maroney and brady is the man.. so you do have wholes like every other team in the league just not as many as most.

we are truly the next dynasty we are young at every position exept dt and all our core players minus philips are locked up through 2009. so to keep us from claiming the trophy for the next few years this game is to postpone it. it will be an entertaining game for awhile but i dont want to hear brady say we stole his audibles:D

i know new england has had injuries this year but how many of your starters on the defensive side of the ball?

igor starting rde missed 5 games weeks 1-4 and weeks 7-8
jamal williams nt missed 1 game week 6
luis castillo lde missed 6 games 10-13 16-17
merriman olb missed 4 games week 9-12
randall godfrey mlb missed 3 games weeks 14,16-17
sean phillips olb missed 3 games weeks 7-9
steve foley olb missed everygame this year shot
kiel ss missed 2 games week 4 and week 17
mcree fs missed 3 games weeks 2, 12-13

Rodney Harrison starting SS missed 6 games
Eugene Wilson starting FS missed 12 games
Ty Warren starting DE missed 1 game
Vince Wilfork starting NT missed 3 games
Jr Seau starting ILB missed 5 games
Ellis Hobbs starting CB missed 1 game
Randall Gay starting CB missed 13 games
Asante Samuel CB missed 1 game
Tedy Bruschi starting ILB missed 1 game
Seymour didn't miss a game but was limited for 2 games due to injury...

Well, then I guess the Bolts dynasty started with our SB loss in '94. Losing a SB is not the beginning of a dynasty.

It sort of sounds like you are describing the Bolts when you talk about the team's youth.

Merriman 2nd year (and only 21)
Castillo 2nd year
Phillips 3rd year
Cooper 4th year
Olshanksy 3rd year
Jammer 6th year
Florence 5th year
Cromartie rookie
McCree 5th year
Jackson 2nd year
Parker 6th year
Tomlinson 6th year
Gates 4th year
Rivers 3rd year
McNeill rookie
Dielman 4th year
Hardwick 3rd year
Olivea 3rd year
Kaeding 3rd year
Scifres 4th year
Manu 4th year
Michael Turner 3rd year

Most of those guys are signed long term. In addition to the third round compensatory pick the Bolts will receive for Brees, they'll more than likely trade trade Turner for a 2nd 1st rounder. And AJ Smith has the best draft record the last three years--Rivers, Olshansky, Kaeding, Hardwick, Phillips, Olivea, Merriman, Castillo, Jackson, McNeill, Cromartie, trade for Manu, all significant contributors (5 of them pro bowlers), all have been drafted in the last three years.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Two years ago, a pack of 20 something Stoolers fans were all over this forum ranting about how great their team was, all the pro bowlers they had, their 15-1 record, how they were going to school us. Final score 41-17 Patriots.

Different year, same crap. The Patriots shouldn't even bother to get on the plane according to half of these morons.

BB vs mr. Gag job, mr 5-12 in the playoffs. You guys are talking loads of ***** for fans of a team that looked like ***** vs the mighty Jets two years ago, blowing that game bigtime.......................

lol man come on you are freaking reaching with this one. We lost by 6 period. I accept the losses and have moved on. We've won 10 in a row since then and by the way the Colts went 14-2 not 15-1 last year.

Nope.. Not reaching at all. Its called REALITY. It would have taken 8 points for the Chargers to win.

You're right. The Colts were only 14-2. The Steelers were 15-1 in 2004 and choked against the Patriots.

The Patriots defense, when compared to 2004 is better in terms of points allowed. The 2006 Patriots had 22 ints to 2004's 20. However, the 2004 team had 23 Forced fumbles compared to only 14 for the 2006 team.

Now, why do I bring that up? Because I want to remind people that the Colts 2004 offense put up 522 points during the regular season, yet they managed only a paltry 3 agaisnt the Pats.

Too many SD fans are acting like the Pats are done and they shouldn't even bother playing the game.

hey man I respect the patriots as a decent team historically. In 1963 we beat your boys for the AFL championship. I've seen the pats in the bowl in 86 96? whichever year it was they los to the pack. And also through recent times. However, THIS Chargers team is better than THIS patriots team. Both teams have a chance to win but you HAVE to see the Chargers as the better team in this one. I mean 5 all pro's 9 pro bowlers # 1 seed in the afc the NFL's best team. The Chargers are just destined for greatness this year.

History lesson.

2004. AFC Title game. On the road against the 15-1 Steelers. 9 Pro Bowlers. #1 seed.

The Pats have been anything but doormats since 1994. So I suggest you do some research!

Yeah, but it doesn't count until you win a SB, or are only Pats and Raiders fans allowed to use such "logic"?

best players are in their prime? lb core needs to be replaced soon...vrabel bruschi seau? i like your dline your secondary could improve outside of samuels your wr are not that great i like maroney and brady is the man.. so you do have wholes like every other team in the league just not as many as most.

we are truly the next dynasty we are young at every position exept dt and all our core players minus philips are locked up through 2009. so to keep us from claiming the trophy for the next few years this game is to postpone it. it will be an entertaining game for awhile but i dont want to hear brady say we stole his audibles:D

The Patriots best players aren't in their LB corps. Its their defensive line, defensive line and QB. Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Jarvis Green. Offensive Line - Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Ryan O'Callaghan, Nick Kaczur, and Stephen Neal.

Oh, yeah, they are all locked up through at least 2009 as well.

Last edited:
wow our backups are better than some of your starters. Guess there is a reason we didn't sign Jr Seau one of the greatest chargers to a 1 yr deal. It's because we have the deepest LB core in football... Consider that Shaun Phillips with his 12 sacks in like 13 games is a backup to steve foley. I took out all the people that only missed 1 game to show that your injuries weren't nearly as significant as ours and Seau was done for the season with a broken arm. So basically a couple players in your secondary and wilfork suffered a minor injury. Injuries didn't have nearly the impact to your team as it did to ours and we STILL won 14 games.

Or maybe our players just play hurt more than yours do.

If your backups are better than our starters, how come the Pats put up better defensive numbers this year, while playing a tougher schedule in terms of opposing offense? Football Outsiders says that the Pats D held opponents to over 5 ppg below their average output. The Bolts D? Less than 1/2 a point ppg. So your defense was roughly league average, you just played weaker offensive opponents.

Oh, that's right. The INJURIES. I do think it's interesting that you are implying that Merriman's absence was due to "injury". Next time, he shouldn't walk barefoot in the needle factory.

Well, then I guess the Bolts dynasty started with our SB loss in '94. Losing a SB is not the beginning of a dynasty.

Except that you are showing you done't know where the core of the 2001 team came from. The core (Brown, Bruschi, McGinest, Milloy, Law) were a part of the 1996 team. As were many of the coaches. So, yes, I feel I can start it there.

It sort of sounds like you are describing the Bolts when you talk about the team's youth.

Merriman 2nd year (and only 21)
Castillo 2nd year
Phillips 3rd year
Cooper 4th year
Olshanksy 3rd year
Jammer 6th year
Florence 5th year
Cromartie rookie
McCree 5th year
Jackson 2nd year
Parker 6th year
Tomlinson 6th year
Gates 4th year
Rivers 3rd year
McNeill rookie
Dielman 4th year
Hardwick 3rd year
Olivea 3rd year
Kaeding 3rd year
Scifres 4th year
Manu 4th year
Michael Turner 3rd year

Most of those guys are signed long term. In addition to the third round compensatory pick the Bolts will receive for Brees, they'll more than likely trade trade Turner for a 2nd 1st rounder. And AJ Smith has the best draft record the last three years--Rivers, Olshansky, Kaeding, Hardwick, Phillips, Olivea, Merriman, Castillo, Jackson, McNeill, Cromartie, trade for Manu, all significant contributors (5 of them pro bowlers), all have been drafted in the last three years.

Really? best draft record the last 3 years? Impressive. Pats have been almost as impressive. Guys like Maroney, O'Callaghan, Kaczur, Mankins, Wilfork, Watson, Sanders, Hobbs, Cassell, Thomas, Gostkowski.

Also, I think it would be dumb to trade Turner. He's better than any RB in the draft. And, it would leave a huge hole behind LT should anything happen to him.

Nope.. Not reaching at all. Its called REALITY. It would have taken 8 points for the Chargers to win.

You're right. The Colts were only 14-2. The Steelers were 15-1 in 2004 and choked against the Patriots.

The Patriots defense, when compared to 2004 is better in terms of points allowed. The 2006 Patriots had 22 ints to 2004's 20. However, the 2004 team had 23 Forced fumbles compared to only 14 for the 2006 team.

Now, why do I bring that up? Because I want to remind people that the Colts 2004 offense put up 522 points during the regular season, yet they managed only a paltry 3 agaisnt the Pats.

Too many SD fans are acting like the Pats are done and they shouldn't even bother playing the game.

That was in NE, in a snowstorm, against a younger more agile back seven that featured a Pro Bowler in Rodney Harrison, a beast in Tedi Bruschi and a pass rusher better than any you have now in McGinest.

Only problem is Harrison's been hurt. In '04 he had 138, 3 sacks, 2 Ints, and 6 passes defensed. In '05 and '06, he has a combined 45 tackles, 1 sack, 1 int and 3 passes defensed.

Bruschi's not the player he once was. In '04, Bruschi had 122 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 3 ints. This year he has 58 tackles, 1.5 sacks abd 1 int. He's not the impact player he once was.

Even if Harrison plays, he's not the same player he once was, and Bruschi's become a major liability in space. You are not the same team you were in '04.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes