PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter Report: Falcons Plan to Hire Raheem Morris as Head Coach for 2024 season

Coach yes, GM? You have seen what’s he’s left here right? Or are you just choosing to turn a blind eye to that?
I don't think it's what Bill wants but I could see him being good at the role. Who has more general football knowledge than Bill? And even when he was both HC/GM he leaned heavily on Pioli, Reese, and Caserio so he would probably still rely on pro and college personnel guys and he would also know the importance of getting the kind of players the Coach wants and not just go by generic best player available. And think about BB as a resource on a weekly basis sort of an Ernie type.

Double plus good to the self appointed Ministry of Truth desperately trying to erase anything that BB contributed to the dynasty. Probably lucky that the article is too long to post, there were a number of interesting facts that would then need to be expunged from the record. For example I forgot how the veteran players like Adam V. were very vocal in their support of Bledsoe. Just because the wheels fell off at the end does not mean that BB did not do his part.
Go ahead and post the article.

It won't change reality.

Your bolded points are correct, 100%.
The only issue is - the Krafts' response has been to fire one guy, and run it all back.

4-13 IS unacceptable, and Kraft had no choice but to move on, and I agree with that. But this isn't a Super Bowl team, with just Bill Belichick, and Belichick alone holding them back.

THAT is the problem I have. I support Mayo, and I support the Patriots as I always have. But there's a clear message being sent from the front office. Belichick was the sole and total problem, and everything else was fine.

I agree to the point that I would have liked to see more of a house cleaning.

A new GM would have been a good hire imo. Someone who has proven they know how to build a winner in the NFL.

Bad personnel decisions was one of the biggest factors in the Patriots downfall over recent years. Looks like they are waiting on that hire... Not sure why, I'd rather have that guy in place before entering such a critical offseason for their rebuild.

But obviously Mayo was the succession plan. The DC they promoted from within was a guy Mayo was very comfortable working with.

At least it's comforting to see them going for a new OC and ST coach as those were two of our weakest coaching positions the past few years.

I believe that a new QB coach could be nearly as important as the new OC. We need someone who can develop QBs and teach the game and routines that QB's need to master to play in the NFL at high levels.

While we're on the topic of offense let's not forget that our OL has been a joke since Dante Scarnecchia retired. We still haven't found a good coach for that position? Are they that hard to find?

Go ahead and post the article.

It won't change reality.
Unfortunately I have run out of free articles. The source of your strength is still safe.
images

There's a less than 10% chance Morris makes it past 3 years. Look at hires around the league last couple decades, last 10 years whatever. The vast majority of coaches have a shelf-life of 1-3 yrs, especially a guy like Morris who has already been on the merry-go-round.

This is why it makes perfectly logical sense to go for it all now rather than going back into the cycle of doom.

Plus, people keep saying Belichick would leave in 3 yrs. He would leave coaching but stay on as GM.

I don't disagree regarding Bill as a coach....but this is about the front office of Atlanta.
Hasn’t Atlanta’s CEO who got them this supposedly amazing talented roster been there for years?

Feel like it’s a tough decision to fire or demote that guy for someone who built a 4-13 roster.

If Bill agreed just to coach I’d say Atlanta hired him on the spot. It’s the whole wanting total control of football operations that is scaring teams away. The setup Bill had in New England was not common in the NFL.

Last edited:
I don't think it's what Bill wants but I could see him being good at the role. Who has more general football knowledge than Bill? And even when he was both HC/GM he leaned heavily on Pioli, Reese, and Caserio so he would probably still rely on pro and college personnel guys and he would also know the importance of getting the kind of players the Coach wants and not just go by generic best player available. And think about BB as a resource on a weekly basis sort of an Ernie type.

are we ignoring the last 5-6 years of drafts/building a roster? Theres a reason Bill is not here anymore and its not his coaching...

I think Bill is the greatest coach of all time. But half this board acting "shocked" that a team wouldn't want to fully remake their front office/fire their GM and hand the keys of football operations to Bill is surprising to me.

and keep in mind these are teams that built their "ready to win roster" with their current GM.

are we ignoring the last 5-6 years of drafts/building a roster? Theres a reason Bill is not here anymore and its not his coaching...

I think Bill is the greatest coach of all time. But half this board acting "shocked" that a team wouldn't want to fully remake their front office/fire their GM and hand the keys of football operations to Bill is surprising to me.

and keep in mind these are teams that built their "ready to win roster" with their current GM.
Last 4 years have actually been good. It's the previous 5 drafts that were bad. But there were reasons for that.

I'm not ignoring anything. Many coaches have gone to the front office after they were done with coaching and those guys weren't even GMs when they coached too. You can keep holding your grudge if you want but nothing shocking about what I suggested.

I don't disagree regarding Bill as a coach....but this is about the front office of Atlanta.
Hasn’t Atlanta’s CEO who got them this supposedly amazing talented roster been there for years?

Feel like it’s a tough decision to fire or demote that guy for someone who built a 4-13 roster.

If Bill agreed just to coach I’d say Atlanta hired him on the spot. It’s the whole wanting total control of football operations that is scaring teams away. The setup Bill had in New England was not common in the NFL.

Even if BB was still at the top of his game, handing over the HC and GM roles for such a short period is too disruptive and makes no sense. Best case scenario BB barely has time to get things to where the team is ready to challenge for a deep run with players that fit his system before leaving. When BBs leaves there is a giant reorganization needed to fill the gaps of BB's demand of ultimate authority and start finding players to fit the new system. We saw with Mayo that that planning for the future with a HC/GM in waiting does not work leading to the need to start from scratch. Given the short window the only scenario that works for BB is coach only for the proverbial underachieving team with a talented roster. Unless BB drops the demand for full control, he has coached his last game in the NFL. At this point BB may have reconciled that he might not catch Shula and decided that the only way it was worth it for him is if he gets full control.

I'm fine with them not hiring Bill for whatever reason they want, but the Atlanta CEO has gotten such amazing talent that they haven't won more than 7 games a season since the 2017 season. The only people who think their front office shouldn't be gutted is their front office, and it sounds like they pushed Blank to hire a guy who wouldn't have the juice to demand a front-office change.

Last edited:
Surprising odds for ATL. I guess someone believes in the Rah hiring.

He looks like he's getting ready to give someone a beating with those things on....
I can think of a few of you members he might owe one too lol

Even if BB was still at the top of his game, handing over the HC and GM roles for such a short period is too disruptive and makes no sense. Best case scenario BB barely has time to get things to where the team is ready to challenge for a deep run with players that fit his system before leaving. When BBs leaves there is a giant reorganization needed to fill the gaps of BB's demand of ultimate authority and start finding players to fit the new system. We saw with Mayo that that planning for the future with a HC/GM in waiting does not work leading to the need to start from scratch. Given the short window the only scenario that works for BB is coach only for the proverbial underachieving team with a talented roster. Unless BB drops the demand for full control, he has coached his last game in the NFL. At this point BB may have reconciled that he might not catch Shula and decided that the only way it was worth it for him is if he gets full control.
Who says the GM roles would be for a short period?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back