PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats release on Cassel / Vrabel trade

He's been franchise tagged. I don't think he's under contract.

Franchise tag = 1 year contract. He's not technically under contract until he signs it, but we'd surrender 2 1st rounders for signing a tagged player if we didn't work out a trade. To work out a trade, the guy has to sign the franchise contract, then agree to rework the contract accordingly.

I think they could have waited it out and after the dust settled, a team like TB or SF might have stepped up their offer, but frankly NE did not have the luxury of time with Cassel's $14.6MM holding their cap hostage.

The opportunity cost of not being able to sign the Leigh Bodden's of the world trumped holding out for slightly more value in a Cassel trade. I believe this was the smart play.

I trust Belichick to be far too smart to piss away Cassel's return value just for the opportunity cost of a Leigh Bodden.

Per Schefter these were the teams involved:
NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Cutler upset over potential deals to Detroit, Tampa Bay

While New England and Kansas City were agreeing to Saturday’s trade of Cassel to the Chiefs for the draft’s 34th overall pick, there were more teams in the mix. Detroit, Tampa and Denver were involved in trade talks of their own also tied to Cassel, according to sources in the respective NFL cities.

Tampa approached Denver to try to make a three-way trade that would have sent Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to the Buccaneers. The Broncos entertained the notion and pondered it but ultimately decided against it.

Also, the Lions approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler, trying to dangle Cassel as bait. Once again, Denver debated the deal and opted against it apparently. What made it a moot point was that while all Tampa, Detroit and Denver engaged in trade talks with New Engalnd, the Patriots went ahead and dealt Cassel to the Chiefs.

Why do I feel like someone just shot my dog....I alway's wonder why BB does what he does, but you can never doubt him.

Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

I really like this trade, to be honest. I never for a second thought that we were going to get into the first round with Cassel. I thought we would get more than just a second rounder for him (as in a second this year and a second next year), but we essentially got a good draft pick not that far out of the first round for him and were able to dump an over the hill (sorry Mike, I loved you buddy but you are not what you used to be) LB and his salary. We now have a boatload of picks in the first five rounds in a year which is deep for defense... which just so happens to be what we need to rebuild.

my position ? glass is half full

Let's see how this plays out. Tony Gonzalez, anyone?

Umm if the Pats had wanted Gonzalez he would have been one of the players moved in the Cassel deal. I just don't think they are interested in him.

Not to mention we just gave Chris Baker 2+ million a year to come here.

I'd much rather have Baker than Gonzalez at this point in his career.

WEEI reports that the Lions and the Bucs made last minute offers for Matt Cassel, but couldn't come to terms.

Does that mean they couldn't come to terms with the Pats.... or Cassel?

Either it was Cassel and we we're offered more from those 2 teams...

Or it was them offering a third or worse (lions) or a worse second rounder from TB.

Their loss. Unless Cassel refused to negotiate, both of those teams should have had a first rounder served up to the Patriots on a silver platter the minute free agency began.

my position ? glass is half full

Totally. Imagine if we get a few good FA's and then Sean Smith, Connor Barwin, Larry English and Louis Delmas in the draft:D

Cant say many would be to unhappy about today then

Their loss. Unless Cassel refused to negotiate, both of those teams should have had a first rounder served up to the Patriots on a silver platter the minute free agency began.

i dont understand they wouldnt have offered a 2nd this year plus something a little more

I think they could have waited it out and after the dust settled, a team like TB or SF might have stepped up their offer, but frankly NE did not have the luxury of time with Cassel's $14.6MM holding their cap hostage.

The opportunity cost of not being able to sign the Leigh Bodden's of the world trumped holding out for slightly more value in a Cassel trade. I believe this was the smart play.

Although I do feel they made the best deal that was out there I do also agree with your comment about opportunity cost, it's a relevant factor if your goal is to improve your team in the offseason.

I'd much rather have Baker than Gonzalez at this point in his career.

ummm....no. Baker has been in the league for seven years now. It isn't like he is some up and comer. He isn't half the player Gonzalez is today.

A second and Gonzalez for Cassel and Vrabel would have been justifiable.

I think that the Pats could have gotten more here. I'm fine with the 34th pick straight up for Cassel, but once you throw in Vrabel (and don't get ANYTHING FOR HIM), it kinda sucks.

They could have at the very least wapped positions with the Cheifs in the 3rd or 4th round, or add a conditional 2010 pick. This seems pretty weak to just toss of Vrabel for NOTHING. And it is not like the Pats have his replacement waiting in the wings (be forewarned anyone who mentions Woods, he's horrible). The Pats are left with 2 starting LBs (Mayo and Thomas) 1 aging old warhorse, the potential that is Crable, TBC, and Alexander and Mr. I can't recover a fumble.

Last edited:

Everyone keeps saying "the market wasn't there" how could we have know that, when we didn't even wait for the market to develop. The Pats, under BB, have always waited until draft day to pull the trigger on these moves, I am praying that there is a grander scheme involved here that we are currently unaware of.

Stop to think for a moment.

Perhaps the reason the Pats didn't wait longer is because:

A) There wasn't a market as we thought there was and/or

B) This was a timely issue for both teams and/or

C) After Pioli & Co. evaluated KC's QB situation and quickly explored their corrective options, the decision was made to trade for Cassel. A deal then became pre-arranged with Belichick, waiting for the proper time (legal timeframe), to seal the deal.

D) The Vrabel decision was also a timely issue ($$$), in that the Pats had come to the realization it was time to part ways with the veteran, while having plans to upgrade the position. Pioli's familiarity with Mike, and the need to add such a great presence to the locker room was a no-brainer. Pioli will take care of Vrabel until he retires.

Please consider that Belichick and Pioli are like brothers -- forget their respective titles -- and read between the lines. How long this potential deal was in the works is their business -- and will remain so. And I would expect future dealings between the two to be handled similarly. This is a win-win for Belichick, Pioli, Cassel, and Vrabel. And because of the respect I have for each, I find great comfort in the result.

Belichick did Pioli a solid here, and I don't think there's any shame in that.

Pioli, Cassel, Vrabel - all guys who certainly did him solids in the past. I said all along (back when the concept of tagging him met with guffaws from the armchair geniuses here who were stunned when Cassel even made the 2008 roster) that he would be tagged if the patriots established there was a market for him. Obviously they realized there absolutely was one the day Scott's departure for KC was announced. I think this was the plan all along unless someone else literally blew them out of the water.

Bill could have played hardball all around (and the same people whining here now would have been tearing their hair out as the FA market shrunk), but to what end? To move up 4-5 slots? He flipped a #200-and something selection who saved him overpaying for a greedy veteran backup for 3 years and won him 11 games when his HOF'er went down for an entire season for a #34 to a guy who drafted and appreciates him and will have his back in transition, and he allowed Mike Vrabel to depart NE with statesmanlike dignity (and his final season pay check intact) as a trading chip rather than being unceremoniously cut. And he likely gave Pioli a little help in establishing the value of the "patriot way" which will just increase the value of every other tree branch BB touches going forward.

A big part of the problem with the nancy's here is the hysteria that permeates this place (not to mention the football mediots whose every word they hang on...). Cassel is probably worth a late first. Having cap space for the next 2 months was worth a discount of 4-5 slots...

Funny thing is (besides Tampa and Detroit) a potential looser in all this could be Josh!!! Cutler will be thrilled they were at least entertaining those scenarios.

Pioli, Cassel, Vrabel - all guys who certainly did him solids in the past. I said all along (back when the concept of tagging him met with guffaws from the armchair geniuses here who were stunned when Cassel even made the 2008 roster) that he would be tagged if the patriots established there was a market for him. Obviously they realized there absolutely was one the day Scott's departure for KC was announced. I think this was the plan all along unless someone else literally blew them out of the water.

Bill could have played hardball all around (and the same people whining here now would have been tearing their hair out as the FA market shrunk), but to what end? To move up 4-5 slots? He flipped a #200-and something selection who saved him overpaying for a greedy veteran backup for 3 years and won him 11 games when his HOF'er went down for an entire season for a #34 to a guy who drafted and appreciates him and will have his back in transition, and he allowed Mike Vrabel to depart NE with statesmanlike dignity (and his final season pay check intact) as a trading chip rather than being unceremoniously cut. And he likely gave Pioli a little help in establishing the value of the "patriot way" which will just increase the value of every other tree branch BB touches going forward.

A big part of the problem with the nancy's here is the hysteria that permeates this place (not to mention the football mediots whose every word they hang on...). Cassel is probably worth a late first. Having cap space for the next 2 months was worth a discount of 4-5 slots...

Funny thing is (besides Tampa and Detroit) a potential looser in all this could be Josh!!! Cutler will be thrilled they were at least entertaining those scenarios.

Well, Cutler's always been a bit of a panties wearer, from what I've seen. Hopefully, this will serve to both deflate his ego and get him to grow up. I'd really love to see the Broncos and Chiefs join the Patriots as perennial powers. It would destroy the Chargers and all their class. As for the rest, I'm with you. I think we've witnessed the difference in his approach to McDaniels/Pioli and his approach to Mangina.

Last edited:

Its tough to evaluate this trade because it involves a draft pick which may or may not pan out to be an impact player.

I mean we can complain, but what if O'Connell is better than Cassel, and what if at #34 we replace Vrabel with an all-pro, defensive leader? And with the 18 extra million, we lock up Wilfork and other additions. Time will tell who won this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes