PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats release on Cassel / Vrabel trade

Its a losing battle dude... i think people feel personally robbed having been convinced from reading this msg board that we should have got the #3 pick and a whole lot besides ...

They could have gotten more. They did Pioli a solid. I'm fine with it, but not everyone will be.

Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

30-40 picks from 2003-2005
2003:
Sammy Davis, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tyler Brayton, Eric Steinbach, Boss Bailey, Charles Tillman, Eugene Wilson, Jon Stinchcomb, Al Johnson, Rashean Mathis E.J. Henderson,
2004:
Kevin Jones, Rashaun Woods, benny watson, Karlos Dansby, Igor Olshansky,Junior Siavii, Teddy Lehman, Ricardo Colclough, Daryl Smith, Ben Troupe (Bob Sanders 44)
2005:
Heath Miller, Mike Patterson, Logan Mankins, David Baas, Brodney Pool, Reggie Brown, Barrett Rudd, Shaun Cody,Stanford Routt, Mark Bradley, Josh Bullocks, (Michael Roos-Titans Probowl Tackle-41) (Tatupu-45)

Were going to draft a stud
We said we got a "stud" when we drafted CJack.

We said we got a "stud" when we drafted CJack.

mistakes do happen, although he tore his ACL and apparently never regained hes explosion, things like that cant be accounted for

We think that but not many others do. If you think about it weve now got 4 picks on day 1, loads of flexibility to move about on draft day, a ton of cap space to go after some free agents and it MUST mean that TB is good to go (which is probably the best news of all being totally overlooked here)

AMEN! Would I have liked to have received more for Cassel? Sure, but it didn't happen. I will FORCE MYSELF to live with yet another HIGH second round pick. We have the tools to improve ourselves and that's what I care about the most...oh and yes...TFB is coming back. :singing:

Everyone keeps saying "the market wasn't there" how could we have know that, when we didn't even wait for the market to develop. The Pats, under BB, have always waited until draft day to pull the trigger on these moves, I am praying that there is a grander scheme involved here that we are currently unaware of.

This is all speculation... what happened in the past 24 hours is just the beginning, this team will look different next year... there will be more signings announced soon.

I am usually (always) a half glass full kind of guy especially when it comes to the Pats. But this one is tough for me to swallow. The cap space is great, the picks are great, but obviously I believe it should of been better.

And yes it confirms what most sane and rational people believed already - that TB will be just fine. Which is great, but I expected it.

So to sum it up I feel pretty crappy right now.

Maybe my expectations were to high but here is what they were:

1. TB would be just fine and would be ready for camp
2. Cassel would be moved early to free up cap space
3. Cassel would net at least a 1st and 3rd
4. Mike F*cking Vrabel would be our OLB next year, I mean come on he is Mike F*cking Vrabel....:D

So now you can see why I feel pretty sh*tty right now. One of my favorite players is gone and we only got a second round pick for Cassel.

LOL.. well not sure Vrabes would have played much anyways and I have a *feeling* that letting him go might signal we have something else lined up .. Peppers maybe?

I have to agree, we gave up Vrabel for nothing. A #2 is not enough for Cassel's production last year. There were aticles on theboard where so called experts were saying Cassel is in the top #10 QB's in the NFL, how much is that worth ? They were saying they would take Cassel over any QB in the draft, two which might be drafted in the FIRST round. We pretty much got ripped off. Unless we sign some (good) FA's, these trades were dumb.

This is all speculation... what happened in the past 24 hours is just the beginning, this team will look different next year... there will be more signings announced soon.

*cough* Peppers *cough*

There were aticles on theboard where so called experts were saying Cassel is in the top #10 QB's in the NFL,

And if you believe so called experts on an internet message board, then well, what can I say:p

mgcolby, i can't enlighten anybody who won't stray from their first impressions.

would you rather wait it out and attempt to get more value (if even possible) while having our hands tied with all free agents, or would you rather clear the cap and get all the value you can as soon as possible?

It looks like Vrabel was an add-in to the deal so that we could clear more space, one could assume that he likely would have been a cap casualty if he hadn't been traded.

I think you just had your expectations too high. Cassel had a really good year, but just because a team made a mistake a few years ago for overpaying for Schaub, it does not effect the CURRENT market.

We got what we could ASAP and are now in an amazing position to solidify our defense through the draft and free agency. I thought we might get more, but considering THIS DRAFT CLASS, I can't think of many picks with more value than the one we got.

I have to agree, we gave up Vrabel for nothing. A #2 is not enough for Cassel's production last year. There were aticles on theboard where so called experts were saying Cassel is in the top #10 QB's in the NFL, how much is that worth ? They were saying they would take Cassel over any QB in the draft, two which might be drafted in the FIRST round. We pretty much got ripped off. Unless we sign some (good) FA's, these trades were dumb.

Have to disagree, there is a bigger picture here.. we have a ton of cap space, and a ton of draft picks.. this team will not be near the bottom in red zone defense next year, this team's weakness will not be the CB's.... next year the Pats will be kick ass.

Well, it would have been nice to get more for both players but it appears this was the best offer on the table. If BB thinks cassel is only worth a second, then so be it, in BB I trust :)

How can we sign Peppers? He's under contract.

Maybe Carolina will take a 2nd for him?

;)

Here is one way to look at it:

What would you rather have - a #2 pick this year or Mike Vrabel and a #3 pick next year? If you don't clearly prefer the former, then the Pats made a mistake in franchising Cassell.

from rotoworld:

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com

Chiefs acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft pick.

Patriots fans won't be happy, but speculation is that New England preferred the second-round pick over the third overall because of the contract value. They have three second-round picks now and also likely felt pressure to get Cassel's cap number off the books quickly to move forward in free agency. Clearly, the couldn't get a better deal elsewhere and they are confident in Tom Brady's health. Cassel was not a lock to have success everywhere, but he's set up as a long-term fantasy starter with Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley playing to his strengths. The Chiefs will likely incorporate a pass-first, shotgun-heavy offense. This is great news for Dwayne Bowe and company. Feb. 28 - 2:09 pm et

what it means?
i hope writer is crazy...if contract is high they can trade down

Have to disagree, there is a bigger picture here.. we have a ton of cap space, and a ton of draft picks.. this team will not be near the bottom in red zone defense next year, this team's weakness will not be the CB's.... next year the Pats will be kick ass.

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves just yet, they still have to draft the players. They already got fleeced with KC, I seriously hope the Pats don't trade for Peppers.

I'm sure he was a cash dump. I would have given up Vrabel for free. That is the part that is mid boggling. I thought something was going down that the Pats were getting the third pick to take Curry. Get ready Pats fans, TBC or Woods is your starting OLB for the 2009 season

Does the season start tomorrow? Didnt think so! I think they did ok for trading him so quick and now have the flexibility to make some bigger moves. Maybe we could have got more if we held out awhile but that would have handcuffed them from making some immediate moves.
I'll make an assessment when I see the opening day roster, until then, enjoy the show.:D

Last edited:

maybe we can sign bodden now

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back