PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

i believe that in all likelihood vrabel was going to be released. so, we probably sent him to pioli so other teams didnt have the opportunity to acquire him through waivers

You took the words right out of my mouth. I too think there was a possibility of Vrabel being released. Using him as a throw in was a face saving maneuver for all involved.

KC made out on this ddeal IMO. From trades over the last few years Cassel was worth a lot more than a second rnd pick. BUT I look at it this way last August who here thought we'ed get anything for Cassel other than a sack of football and a MCShake.

I also don't think were done yet can you say Julius Peppers. I think its a possibility.

Last edited:

Guys:

Deep breath... say it with me: When it comes to ALL matters, football: In. Bill. I. Trust.

I, like MANY of us, wasn't sure that MC deserved a spot on the squad in PS last year... I was, obviously, wrong. Who was right? BB!

Who is right, like.... ALL of the time? BB.

Who should we trust here? BB.

IN.

BILL.

I.

TRUST.

felt all along that a #3 pick was not in the cards... a #34 pick is not bad... there is other stuff going on right now, long term Wilfork?? Julius Peppers??? 21 million in cap space for a team with minimal holes is incredible..all these draft picks.. we did good.

The only people who got 'rooked' are the people on this board who seem to hae unilaterally decided Cassel was worth a first round pick. Guess what, BB and Pioli, two of THE best think he wasnt.

Some of you have way overstimated his worth across the league IMO. Weve done well and after the draft when were very well loaded at Safety, OLB, OT and CB you'll all be back saying how well we did:rolleyes:

If you look around the league and see what other players were being dealt for it made Cassel worth a 1st round pick - regardless if it was a smart deal or not for the other teams, they set the market. I have no doubt the Pats will draft well they always do but he is worth more than a 2nd round pick.

KC made out on this ddeal IMO. From trades over the last few years Cassel was worth a lot more than a second rnd pick. BUT I look at it this way last August who here thought we'ed get anything for Cassel other than a sack of football and a MCShake. Also i think BB could be trying to help out his old partner.

There is no way BB is trying to "help out his old partner." He has the Patriots and only the Patriots interest in mind. Their relationship and knowledge of Cassel as a player surely helped get the deal done. But that's ridiculous to think that BB was trying to help out an old pal.

I would have liked to see another conditional pick for next year but the 34th is still a good deal for the Pats. They have a ton of flexibility now to do what they want. BB also loves to trade picks, I'm sure he will be making a deal on the first day of the draft.

KC made out on this ddeal IMO. From trades over the last few years Cassel was worth a lot more than a second rnd pick. BUT I look at it this way last August who here thought we'ed get anything for Cassel other than a sack of football and a MCShake. Also i think BB could be trying to help out his old partner.

Football is a business, you don't HELP other teams just because you were partners at some time. This was done for a reason, bottom line: cap space, and nobody else wanted Casell.

I have no problem with the Patriots getting a high number two for Cassel given the circumstances, but I don't get why Vrabel was thrown into the deal?

Was Varabel purely a cash dump for cap reasons? Did KC insist he was thrown into the deal?

How are the Patriots going to replace Vrabel?

I have no problem with the Patriots getting a high number two for Cassel given the circumstances, but I don't get why Vrabel was thrown into the deal?

Was Varabel purely a cash dump for cap reasons? Did KC insist he was thrown into the deal?

I'm sure he was a cash dump. I would have given up Vrabel for free. That is the part that is mid boggling. I thought something was going down that the Pats were getting the third pick to take Curry. Get ready Pats fans, TBC or Woods is your starting OLB for the 2009 season!

Last edited:

If you look around the league and see what other players were being dealt for it made Cassel worth a 1st round pick - regardless if it was a smart deal or not for the other teams, they set the market. I have no doubt the Pats will draft well they always do but he is worth more than a 2nd round pick.

We think that but not many others do. If you think about it weve now got 4 picks on day 1, loads of flexibility to move about on draft day, a ton of cap space to go after some free agents and it MUST mean that TB is good to go (which is probably the best news of all being totally overlooked here)

Re: Pats release on Cassel / Vrabel trade

Are you suggesting that some other team offered more and Belichick refused the deal? The patriots have never put their season in jeapordy and put $14.6M of cap money on hold until the draft. That indeed would have been "notorious".

1) Some here wanted NOT to bother franchising Cassel at all.

2) Others thought (here and on Reiss's blog) the most important goal of free agency was to maximize the value received for Cassel. Many were posted here, and in the media, that Cassel was worth two firsts; and if not, surely a first and a first or second next year. They posted the dozen teams that were certainly interested. When someone posted how few might be interested, many here thought that they were idiots. Well they were right.

3) Some of us were OK with franchising as long as it did not restrict us in free agency. This free agency period is critical to this year and next, since we may or may not be able to sign free agents next year. And even if we can, Kraft would rather sign free agents now than in possible uncapped market. Many here disagree with this position, preferring Kraft to overspend in 2010 and hurt his business.
================

In the end, Position Three was Belichick's position. I'm sure that he had his folks called every team in the league and had Cassel's agent do so also. But, as Shecter said early in the game, trading Cassel with a $14.6M contract would require a special team, one that would be willing to pay reasonable compensation to the patriots and one who could meet Cassel's needs. Finally such a team would need to act early, and get their quarterback up to speed. Pioli was willing to take a chance with the #34 and a contract with Cassel where no one else offering a #33 or a first would do so (or are you suggesting that Belichick refused a higher offer?).

The money would have come off our books no matter who we traded Cassel to and for no matter for what. My only hope is that BB has a grand plan in free agency and that is why he needed the money and the pick so soon. The Pats have notoriously waited till draft day to make trades, and this year they waited one day. I am hoping, fingers crossed, that the Pats make a big signing or trade soon otherwise Pioli simply robbed the house on his way out!!!

Last edited:

I never used the word is or was trying to help out an old partner. i used could as in maybe thats all relax. You jumped on that part of the post what about the first ? Whats did you think we'ed get for Cassel last summer?

Last edited:

Like i said i don't think were done yet there maybe another present comeing. And i think your right Vrable was a cash dump to make room for more acuasitions.

Flash back to less than a year ago.....doodooladoo...doodoolado....

We had lost the 31st pick in the draft and we're pissed (myself included) and most of us thought we should release Matt Cassel.

Flash forward to today........

Matt Cassel is gone and we have the 34th pick (only 3 off of last year, in a draft that is much deeper at most positions besides QB)

Sounds like poetic justice doesn't it?:singing:

I hope this calms most people down.

I will be honest and tell you that after seeing the Browns get a 2nd for problem child Kellen Winslow jr. I thought we should have gotten much more for a potential franchise QB.
(And before you point out "potential", I say that all KWII has ever shown is potential. Just 1 truley good year because of injuries and general B.S. calamity, is much more risky than what Cassel achieved last year.)

But overall I am happy. He will be going to help an old friend and reap the rewards of his hard work for us. I doubt the chiefs will come back to haunt us in the near future.

Besides... if we got the 3rd pick in rd #1, we all would have had a pretty good idea what they would do with it (trade down or snag Curry)

Now we have much more room for speculation... which of course is what we all come here for anyway :p

Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs !

Damn....I've gotta give props to Pioli for hosing us on this one.

love how people are saying the pats got hosed, its funny

they wont pay for the #3 pick, vrable is almost done and cassel was a 7th round pick

think about it, wouldnt you want to extend wilfork maybe keep the big sey...?

Last edited:

30-40 picks from 2003-2005
2003:
Sammy Davis, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tyler Brayton, Eric Steinbach, Boss Bailey, Charles Tillman, Eugene Wilson, Jon Stinchcomb, Al Johnson, Rashean Mathis E.J. Henderson,
2004:
Kevin Jones, Rashaun Woods, benny watson, Karlos Dansby, Igor Olshansky,Junior Siavii, Teddy Lehman, Ricardo Colclough, Daryl Smith, Ben Troupe (Bob Sanders 44)
2005:
Heath Miller, Mike Patterson, Logan Mankins, David Baas, Brodney Pool, Reggie Brown, Barrett Rudd, Shaun Cody,Stanford Routt, Mark Bradley, Josh Bullocks, (Michael Roos-Titans Probowl Tackle-41) (Tatupu-45)

Were going to draft a stud

love how people are saying the pats got hosed, its funny

they wont pay for the #3 pick, vrable is almost done and cassel was a 7th round pick

think about it

Its a losing battle dude... i think people feel personally robbed having been convinced from reading this msg board that we should have got the #3 pick and a whole lot besides ...

We think that but not many others do. If you think about it weve now got 4 picks on day 1, loads of flexibility to move about on draft day, a ton of cap space to go after some free agents and it MUST mean that TB is good to go (which is probably the best news of all being totally overlooked here)

I am usually (always) a half glass full kind of guy especially when it comes to the Pats. But this one is tough for me to swallow. The cap space is great, the picks are great, but obviously I believe it should of been better.

And yes it confirms what most sane and rational people believed already - that TB will be just fine. Which is great, but I expected it.

So to sum it up I feel pretty crappy right now.

Maybe my expectations were to high but here is what they were:

1. TB would be just fine and would be ready for camp
2. Cassel would be moved early to free up cap space
3. Cassel would net at least a 1st and 3rd
4. Mike F*cking Vrabel would be our OLB next year, I mean come on he is Mike F*cking Vrabel....:D

So now you can see why I feel pretty sh*tty right now. One of my favorite players is gone and we only got a second round pick for Cassel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back