PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

Dont think so mate, wed be an idiot to overpay Wilfork, anyone is replacable except Numbers 81 and 12

Ben

By far the dumbest thing I've heard on this board in a WHILE.

kurtinelson

Unless you have factual knowledge that another team was willing to offer more than #34 and Cassel was willing to sign with them, then shut the f--- up.

My sentiments exactly. I'm ashamed to think we route for the same team. To clarify, I made no mention of there being a better deal on the table. I am only forecasting the fall out of the situation.

Nothing personal Tealsox. I appologize for the rage. I am just frustrated after having read 100+ posts about how the Patriots got fleeced in this deal. I am not a blind homer, I call it how I see it, and in this case I think people were way too optimistic in their prognostications on what we would get for Cassel, especially when it became clear that Minnesota, Detroit, Tampa and Carolina had no real interest in Cassel.

This may very well (as much as I hope not) be one of those moves that is remembered in sports history... like the Hershel Walker trade, every team that passed on Jerry Rice, Jeff Bagwell to the Astros, Moss to the Patriots, etc.

Your post insinuates that this is a public relations deal for the Patriots. If anything, IMO history will show that it will be a public relations nightmare for the teams that did not make a serious play for Cassel.

Calm down though. Save it for game day!

GO PATS!!!!

Not ALL of us wanted to cut Cassel.

I was thinking Fan in NY was referring to Vrabel when he talked about "a guy we all wanted to get rid of six months ago."

seriously tho with out all the 10 line long talks. are people on this board really "happy" with the trade? i looked at nfl.com and had a smile on my face then when i saw it was for a 2nd i have to admit i was pretty dissapointed. i understand the vrabel part because thats 4 mill off the books but i just can't believe that it wasnt 2nd and 2010 4th 3rd or 2nd

That makes sense. Great post! If we still had the "karma" thing you'd definitely get a +1.

By that reasoning, I'm guessing Vrabel would not have been thrown in if we were dealing with another AFC East team.

Assuredly not :)

I'm just speculating anyway. But before all this happened, I was thinking he was vulnerable because of the cap hit were were taking on him anyway (given his play last year). I was unsurprised yesterday when we moved him and not real surprised about the deal today, other than the fact that is was just the one pick.

I would have thought a late-rounder or conditional next year would be in there too, but that really says more about Cassel's value then it does about Vrabel.

I was thinking Fan in NY was referring to Vrabel when he talked about "a guy we all wanted to get rid of six months ago."

No, I was talking about Cassel....... many of us had big reservations about him after the pre-season (me included). Much of the talk here was "cut him". That may be too strong, but lets face it.......... as an UFA, he was really worth nothing to us at that point. We did pretty good parley on that one.

After the season..... Yeah, I worried for Vrabel. I'm not a big "cap guru", but you don't have to be to realize that given his production, his hit this year would be too great and something was happening on that front.

Last edited:

No, I was talking about Cassel....... many of us had big reservations about him after the pre-season (me included). Much of the talk here was "cut him". That may be too strong, but lets face it.......... as an UFA, he was really worth nothing to us at that point. We did pretty good parley on that one.

After the season..... Yeah, I worried for Vrabel. I'm not a big "cap guru", but you don't have to be to realize that given his production, his hit this year would be too great and something was happening on that front.

Oops... I'm getting my months mixed up, for some reason I thought "six months ago" meant November, which is why I thought you were talking about Vrabel. D'oh!

And I'll admit I wanted Cassel gone, though when it didn't happen I figured BB must have seen something we didn't; hence I didn't come on here and argue for cutting him.

well....I'm so glad that the Patriot Expert Posse has freaked out and gone tilt about a personnel decision made by BB. The same crying whiny little no nothing mutts that wanted Cassel gone last preseason are now "having a hard time!!!!!".and "can't figure this !!!!!" and "I would have done way better!!!!!!".

Morons.

Vrabel I think might have been cut ... And we are whining about a guy that was on the scrap heap last sept, and was a seventh round pick... We got a second round pick.. I wish we would have gotten a fifth in the deal,but this is the right deal, there was not a huge market for Cassel, sorry to say that folks, Im glad its done , now we can move on to fix the defense and find another offensive weapon...

I honestly think that with Vrabel's cap hit, the decision was made to move on with out him. He was coming off the books one way or another. BB did a classy thing and threw him in to sweeten the deal and get it done. I'm sure Pioli knew that, but if there is one thing KC needs as much as a QB is a locker-room veteran for all his young guys.

It's win-win(-win). Pioli gets 2 guys he can use, we get a high 2nd for a guy we all wanted to cut 6 months ago and 18+M of cap relief, and Vrabel is spared the humiliation of getting axed from a team his has put so much of his heart an soul into.

maybe that was already decided when scott was here so he probably knew now what was going to happen.

well....I'm so glad that the Patriot Expert Posse has freaked out and gone tilt about a personnel decision made by BB. The same crying whiny little no nothing mutts that wanted Cassel gone last preseason are now "having a hard time!!!!!".and "can't figure this !!!!!" and "I would have done way better!!!!!!".

Morons.

And you can simply go f*ck yourself! Please find one post on here where I called for Cassel to be cut! Just one! Only a "moron" would generalize and put everyone into your little category!

I don't have time to find it but I said about a month ago that I would be happy with a 18 - 27 for Cassel. We got a 34, about what I thought.

Not ALL of us wanted to cut Cassel. Around 25% of us who really follow BB's moves closely knew that BB would keep Cassie and CUT Gutz. Sadly, Reiss was not one of the 25%. Maybe he'd been reading Patsfans too much. :)

Me, I'm Jacked & Pumped we have a high 2nd for Mattie and needed salary cap relief to re-sign core players and FAs.

My sympathies for the cretin in my sig.

I was one of those who wanted to cut Cassel. What do I know. My bad. I guess in retrospect a #34?.....Mayock has stated that there are 37 first round graded talent in this draft. Two years ago there were only 20. Still, I would have felt better with a least a fifth rounder in the deal.
DW Toys

I was one of those who wanted to cut Cassel. What do I know. My bad. I guess in retrospect a #34?.....Mayock has stated that there are 37 first round graded talent in this draft. Two years ago there were only 20. Still, I would have felt better with a least a fifth rounder in the deal.
DW Toys

A late first rounder at 2nd round money isn't too shabby.

I'd much rather have Baker than Gonzalez at this point in his career.

Why? Gonzalez, on a bad team, just had two straight seasons of 96+ receptions and 1000+ yards. The guy is at the top of the NFL heap at his position....still. And no signs of slowing down.

so, we traded away Cassel for a 2nd rounder, and threw in Vrabel to rid ourselfs of the contract? Is that what the Pats did? Obviously on the surface the Pats are getting screwed here, and depending on how Cassel turns out this could turn out to be a crap trade, but if the Pats turned around and landed a Ray Lewis or Peppers, turned some of their high draft picks into winners, in the short term it isn't so bad.

Still, Cassel and Vrabel regardless of how you felt about either player coming in this past season seems like alot to give up for a high 2nd rounder. It had to be Cassels contract numbers and not the production, because people got far more for far less with other QBs

DW Toys

If you look at the talent that's been picked in the 1-10 range in the past few drafts, it's not far and away better than that picked in the 30-40 range.

Look at the legitimate players picked in each draft from those groups.

2008:
(1-10) Jake Long, Chris Long, Matt Ryan, Darren McFadden, Sedrick Ellis, Jerod Mayo
(30-40) Dustin Keller, Kenny Phillips, Donnie Avery
There's a notable difference here, though it's still early. Didn't include Dorsey because I'm not sure if he's been a disappointment or not.

2007:
(1-10) Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams, LaRon Landry, Adrian Peterson
(30-40) Anthony Gonzalez, Paul Posluszny, Eric Weddle, Aaron Sears, Zach Miller

2006:
(1-10) Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Donte Whitner, Ernie Sims
(30-40) Joseph Addai, Matthias Kiwanuka, DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson, Thomas Howard

2005:
(1-10) Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards, Antrel Rolle
(30-40) Heath Miller, Mike Patterson, Logan Mankins, Barrett Ruud, Josh Bullocks
To be fair the 11th, 12th, and 13th players picked have all turned out to be stars.

2004:
(1-10) Eli Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow, Roy Williams, DeAngelo Hall, Dunta Robinson
(30-40) Ben Watson, Karlos Dansby, Chris Snee, Igor Olshansky

Though the 1-10 picks produce more superstar talent, there's just as many guys who make little contributions to their squads (for more money) as there are in the 30-40 range. It's certainly possible to get a great player in that range (Dansby, Snee, Miller, Mankins, Ruud, Kiwanuka, Ryans).

Lost in all this debate was the person most accurate in his prediction of what the Pats would net in a trade for Cassel (i.e., a 2nd round pick.)

Mike Reiss

Who would have ever imagined that?

And you can simply go f*ck yourself! Please find one post on here where I called for Cassel to be cut! Just one! Only a "moron" would generalize and put everyone into your little category!

#1...I didn't "single" you out...you're a paranoid

#2....if you ARE a member of the Patriot Expert Party, that makes you a member of a SUBSET of Patriot Nation...so once again, you're a little confused...that's not "putting everyone in your little category!!!!!!" ...that's putting you in the far smaller category of Pats fans that think they know more than the actual PROFESSIONALS charged with running the team. Hope this clears up some of your rage and blind fury.

Last edited:

Why? Gonzalez, on a bad team, just had two straight seasons of 96+ receptions and 1000+ yards. The guy is at the top of the NFL heap at his position....still. And no signs of slowing down.

He's also up there in age. He's enjoyed good production the last couple of years... I cannot argue with that. But he will hit the proverbial "wall" any season now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes