PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

Can't put lipstick on this pig. Cassel AND Vrabel for one 2nd round pick.

Curran on NFLN now saying that the extent of the compensation is the Chiefs #34 for Cassel AND Vrabel... now commenting on how people might be scratching their heads about how little is coming back from KC...

If you had told me this time last year that Cassel and Vrabes netted 34, I'd be pretty stoked, but all things considered, it's a little puzzling. No conditional 2010 pick?

The same Curran that says Brady wont be ready for the start of this season.

I am hoping it is more than that......

Re: Tom Curran says #3 overall pick NOT involved in trade

wow.....ripped

I think we sign Ray lewis, and move Guyton to OLB with that speed...Draft the Best Safety available, and a CB with 1 of the 2nd rd picks. Sign Bodden, or Springs and we are set.

The reason the compensation is so low may be because there is no

agreement on a new long term contract between Kansas City and

Cassel's agent. As things stand now, Cassel was aquired for one

year at the 14.6 million franchise tag.

Ehhhhh, Not so bad.

We traded a guy that was otherwise walking for free a couple months ago and a guy that was ultimately gonna be a "cap casualty" this year anyway, for a very high 2nd. Plus we just got about 18+M in cap relief. Perhaps not what everyone was looking for, but now we have some chips and cash to go get Peppers with.

I'll be very disappointed if all we got for Cassel was a 2nd rounder.

The 34th pick overall is probably more to BB's liking than an early 1st rounder. More bang for the buck.

We traded a 7th rounder for a 2nd rounder when you think about it. Not bad.

Matt Schaub went for 2 #2 picks and he didn't even play for 1 year. Jarred Allen went for a first round pick. We gave them a franchise caliber 27 year old QB plus we threw in a 3 time pro bowl linebacker. Wow we got absolutely jeeped!!!!!!! This is totally bogus, especially because the Chiefs were the reason Brady got hurt in the first place!!!

Re: Peter King reporting 09 2nd rounder from Chiefs

King does not know BB very well, does he.

My take: Bill Belichick either didn't get a better offer, or he did one of his best friends, Pioli, a favor with a player Belichick wanted to put in a good situation; Belichick is very fond of Cassel. It would not be surprising to see Belichick make the deal with Pioli because both were trained under Bill Parcells, and Parcells always made sure he watched out for his lieutenants and helped them whenever it didn't hurt him

That is BS. BB will not give up a better deal to help the team, no matter how fond he is of any one.

SI.com reports that the Patriots have agreed to trade Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for the 34th overall pick of the NFL Draft.

There are reports, however, that question whether the deal is going through. Cassel's contract demands and/or a third "mystery team" could change the terms, but the paperwork is reportedly ready. Cassel was informed he was traded, according to ESPN.com.
Source: SI.com

Or got $19M in free cap space plus a cheap close-first round draft choice.

tom curran confirms #34 for vrabel and cassel on nfln.

Not a good trade if true. Many of us were hoping for a #1 for Cassel (or even Peppers). If we get a #2 for Cassel AND Vrabel, that's a poor trade. Though there is a big caveat here, it does free up a lot of cap space, and maybe we can get our FA's and some UFA's signed. IF we don't invest that cap space on positions we need, it's a really bad trade. Of course, the draft always brings some goodies, and having a #1 and three #2's will make the draft interesting.

King has never been a solid sourse, I'll wait until Schefter or Reiss reports it

Matt Schaub went for 2 #2 picks and he didn't even play for 1 year. Jarred Allen went for a first round pick. We gave them a franchise caliber 27 year old QB plus we threw in a 3 time pro bowl linebacker. Wow we got absolutely jeeped!!!!!!! This is totally bogus, especially because the Chiefs were the reason Brady got hurt in the first place!!!

And the chicken littles start squaking!!

Vrabel is nowhere near pro-bowl caliber anymore, he was likely to be cut anyway imo due to his cap hit.

Its quite clear BB wants no part of bringing in a 30 mil bonused rookie into the locker room.

The players at the top of this draft did not show college production that warrants the layout of cash. Never mind the effect on the locker room and future contracts.

What will the Pats do with the Cap $$

I also believe the shoe to fall may be a trade partner that has already agreed to a 2nd rounder as compensation. Or the pats #1.

Trading Vrable to KC kept him out of Cleveland. He was a likely cap casualty.

what if the chiefs trade cassel to the jets
Safe to say that will be agreed to in the trade that it can't happen just like Favre not going to a NFCC team last year.

I was expecting a lot more....I'm sure most of us were.

No, we didn't get jabbed.

Especially since 90% of the people wanted this guy cut in pre-season. Now we have three 2nd round picks in a VERY deep draft class. We dump a lot of $ as well. Gives us room to make more moves as well.You gotta remember, Belichick isn't really big on drafting in the top 5-10. Belichick knows what he is doing.

confirmed by NFLN #34 for vrabel and cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST