PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

Yes, BUT - Our defense just got WORSE - if thats even possible - how is this a GREAT trade?

Dude, it's Feb. 28th, we have a ton of picks and nearly $20 mill in cap space.

Breathe...

Pats release on Cassel/Vrabel trade

Merge if needed:

PATRIOTS TRADE LB MIKE VRABEL AND QB MATT CASSEL TO KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Patriots have traded linebacker Mike Vrabel and quarterback Matt Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for the Chiefs second-round pick (34th overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft.

"When Mike arrived in 2001, we knew we were adding a solid outside linebacker,” said Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick. “But where Mike took it from there exceeded our highest hopes. Mike Vrabel epitomizes everything a coach could seek in a professional football player: toughness, intelligence, playmaking, leadership, versatility and consistency at the highest level. Behind the scenes, Mike's wit and personality is one of the things we have all enjoyed about coming to work every day. The toughest aspect of my job is the day I stop coaching people like Mike, who did everything in his power to contribute to team success. Of all the players I have coached in my career, there is nobody I enjoyed working with more than Mike. In the same way people recognize guys like Troy Brown, we appreciate and thank Mike Vrabel. He is one of the very special Patriots champions."

As for Matt Cassel, Coach Belichick added, "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career."

Mike Vrabel, 33, was signed by the Patriots as an unrestricted free agent on March 16, 2001, and played eight seasons in New England from 2001-08. The 6-foot-4-inch, 261-pound linebacker served as a team captain for four seasons from 2005-08, and in 2007 earned Pro Bowl honors and a spot on the Associated Press All-Pro First Team.

Vrabel played in 125 regular-season games for the Patriots with 110 starts, recording 638 tackles (422 solo), 11 interceptions for 73 yards and a touchdown, 34 passes defensed, 13 forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and 24 special teams tackles. He recorded 48.0 sacks in a Patriots uniform, a total that ranks seventh on the team’s all-time career list. He also appeared in 17 playoff games (17 starts) with New England, including three Super Bowl victories, and had 93 postseason tackles (63 solo), 7.0 sacks, three passes defensed, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. His seven career playoff sacks rank second on the Patriots’ all-time playoff list. Additionally, Vrabel occasionally lined up as a tight end in goal-line situations and caught 10 passes, all for touchdowns, including eight in the regular season, one in Super Bowl XXXVIII and one in Super Bowl XXXIX.

The Ohio State product was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the third round (91st overall) of the 1997 NFL Draft and played four seasons with Pittsburgh (1997-2000), during which he appeared in 51 games on special teams and as a situational pass rusher. In his first season with the Patriots in 2001, he played in every game with 12 regular-season starts and also started all three playoff games. In the Patriots’ Super Bowl XXXVI victory, he provided pressure on Rams quarterback Kurt Warner, forcing an errant throw that Ty Law intercepted and returned 47 yards for the Patriots’ first touchdown of the game. In 2003, he led the team with 9.5 sacks and was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month for December as the Patriots recorded two December shutouts. In Super Bowl XXXVIII, Vrabel led the team with 2.0 sacks – including one on which he forced a turnover – and caught a touchdown pass with 2:51 left in the game to give the Patriots a 29-22 lead in a game they won, 32-29. In 2004, Vrabel recorded a then-career high 76 tackles and his 5.5 sacks ranked second on the team. In Super Bowl XXXIX, he recorded a sack and his second Super Bowl touchdown reception as the Patriots won their third title in four years. In 2005, he was voted a captain by his teammates for the first time and led the team with a career-best 114 tackles while moving from outside linebacker to inside linebacker for the season’s final 13 games. In 2006, he once again broke the 100-tackle mark, finishing the season with 101 stops and adding a career-high three interceptions. In 2007, he earned a Pro Bowl nod while setting a career high with 12.5 sacks – the third-highest single-season total in team history and the highest for a Patriot in 20 years. He was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week following an Oct. 28, 2007 performance against Washington that included three strip-sacks and a touchdown reception in a 52-7 Patriots win. Last season, Vrabel played in 16 games with 14 starts and finished third on the team with 4.0 sacks while placing fifth on the team with 67 tackles (36 solo).

Matt Cassel, 26, was selected by the Patriots in the seventh round (230th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4-inch, 230-pound quarterback started the final 15 games of the 2008 season for the Patriots following a season-ending knee injury to Tom Brady in the first quarter of the season opener against Kansas City. Cassel completed 327-of-516 passes (63.4 pct.) for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, compiling a passer rating of 89.4. His 63.4 percent completion rate was the third-highest in franchise history and his completion total and passer rating ranked sixth in single-season franchise annals. Additionally, his passing yardage total placed eighth in team history and his 21 touchdowns were the most by a Patriots quarterback in his first year as a full-time starter since Tony Eason had 23 touchdown passes in 1984. Additionally, Cassel threw for 400 or more yards in back to back games on Nov. 13 and Nov. 23, becoming just the fifth quarterback in NFL history to have 400 or more passing yards in consecutive games. Against the New York Jets on Nov. 13, Cassel threw for 400 yards and also ran for 62 yards, becoming the first player in NFL history to have at least 400 passing yards and 60 rushing yards in the same game. For the season, Cassel rushed for 270 yards and two touchdowns, recording the fifth-highest rushing total for a quarterback in Patriots history and the highest total since Steve Grogan had 368 rushing yards in 1979. Cassel was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week on two occasions in 2008 (Week Seven and Week 12). His contributions helped the Patriots offense average 365.4 total net yards per game – the third highest total for any season in franchise history – as New England totaled three of the top six single-game net yardage totals in team history, exceeding 500 total net yards in three separate games. Cassel helped the Patriots produce three games with 47 or more points, and New England’s 356 first downs led the NFL and stand as the second highest total in team history.

In his first three seasons in New England (2005-07), Cassel played in 14 games with no starts and completed 22-of-39 passes (56.4 percent) for 253 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. In his four-year career, Cassel has played in 30 games with 15 starts and has completed 349-of-555 passes (62.9 percent) for 3,946 yards, 23 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, compiling a career passer rating of 85.9.

—PATRIOTS—

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Peter King reporting 09 2nd rounder from Chiefs

NE and alot of other teams correctly realized cassell will be nothing more than another pats player who will fail outside of their system, and with brady coming back, it was more worth it to get the almost 1st round draft pick, then to keep a backup qb who's set to earn at least 14 mill.

smart move by the pats, now they have a crapload of cash, an extra very high draft pick for a player who won't amount to anything outside of their system, and they will be a huge force again in 09

Ding, ding, ding! Wow, how sad that a SD fan can figure this out but so many others on the board can not. This is a great deal for the Pats

Last edited:

everyone wanted more for this deal , even i did but there needs to be another team willing to give up that much and no team after seeing schaub and other backup QB's wanted to take that chance. The reality on the ground could different than what we think.

For the past few weeks, Cassel's agent has probably been trying to

make deals for his client. The teams offering the best deals for Cassel

may have not been willing to give the Patriots much in the way of

compensation. Kansas City proposed this deal. They accept Cassel for

one year at 14.6 million and take the chance they can extend him.

Look at it this way, the Patriots get the 34th pick in the 2009 draft,

instead of the 97th pick in the 2010 draft. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
Re: Tom Curran says #3 overall pick NOT involved in trade

Oops, didn't realize that the 2nd round pick was official.

Last edited:

Well we can easily draft Barwin and Alphonso Smith if this goes down. I was hoping for Curry, but I can wait for next year if we're also getting the Chief's 1st in 2010!

Fair deal w/o Vrabel . Mike worth a 4th ...

Can't be.. that's a horrible deal

Disagree. Take Vrabs out of the mix. Having anyone take Vrabs for nothing is a plus. 2nd for Cassel shouldn't be surprise.
As Lombardi always notes, 2nds are better than 1sts.

I'm in the majority, but I feel great about all of this.

We got rid of a backup, severed ties with a rush 'backer who has been struggling to rush, and gained a pick 2 picks away from being a 1st rounder.

We now have a 1st, 3 2nds, a 2 3rds in the draft, among many later rounds picks.

We also have approximately $21 million to spend as well.

Who knows if we could have Ray Lewis on our radar or if 2 2nds could get it done for Peppers? Things should be very interesting.

Ding, ding, ding! Wow, how sad that a SD fan can figure this out but so many on here can not.
what's funny is, i've been saying this all along

some of the pats fans here don't realize that NE made out like bandits today

vrabel had an off year and is a pretty old guy , face it 33 in the nfl is old, i mean it's NE, if they could have got more for cassell, they would have, they always make out better in trades than their trading partner

NE is going to be amazing in 09 d%#*!@t :(

i'm scared of who they might go after in other trades or FA now

it's a plug and play system, they make anyone look great , usually

they made reche caldwell and jabar gaffney look good and those are florida wrs and we all know florida wrs absolutely suck in the nfl

a new pats dynasty just dawned in my opinion...son of a *****

I was expecting a lot more....I'm sure most of us were.

I think the Cassell situation was tenuous. Unfortunately, the GMs of Tampa, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, Carolina et al. are a bunch of idiots and do not see or value the potential in Cassell - their loss. The fact that this deal was made is an obvious sign that BB did not have the leverage necessary to get what would be perceived as fair value for Cassell.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, would you rather have the 34th pick or Cassell in a back up role $14 million per year? I'll take the pick.

Disagree. Take Vrabs out of the mix. Having anyone take Vrabs for nothing is a plus. 2nd for Cassel shouldn't be surprise.
As Lombardi always notes, 2nds are better than 1sts.

i just hope we do better with 2nd rounders than we have done in the past.most likely 1 of the 3 will be traded for a 2010 pick i would assume as usual.

Re: Pats release on Cassel / Vrabel trade

We GOT: RIPPED, HOSED, BURGLARIZED...... A 27 year rising star QB and a defensive captain for a 2nd round pick is a TRAVESTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Pats release on Cassel / Vrabel trade

Ok boys, start snatching up those free agents with the cap space.

No... in the NFL you get the same cap penalty for trading someone as you do cutting them. There would be no reason for the Chiefs to trade for someone they had no intention of keeping.
OK, I couldn't remember... the misconception is repeated so often by fans that I sometimes get confused.:D

Guys, we can get Bodden now! Everything's gonna be alright!:)

are we sure there is more here then they are leading too

I think the Cassell situation was tenuous. Unfortunately, the GMs of Tampa, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, Carolina et al. are a bunch of idiots and do not see or value the potential in Cassell - their loss. The fact that this deal was made is an obvious sign that BB did not have the leverage necessary to get what would be perceived as fair value for Cassell.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, would you rather have the 34th pick or Cassell in a back up role $14 million per year? I'll take the pick.
those GMs are smart and know NE would have screwed them, all for a system qb

Yes, BUT - Our defense just got WORSE - if thats even possible - how is this a GREAT trade?

so which team was willing to pay more for cassel ? maybe pats didnt want to wait till the end of the offseason where teams dont have much money or have their poistions settled and there is even lesser market for him.
More value wouldve been good but it takes two teams to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back