Not open for further replies.
Just one more piece of irrefutable evidence
that BB & SP are just loading up for one final shot
before the window closes
... and they both head for NY together.

Yes, add that to the pile that includes:

A stockpiling of draft picks for '08

The signing of Warren to a long term deal

....Do you really think BB is stupid enough to walk away from a first-ballot hall of fame qb in the prime of his career and an owner that he has in his pocket to join Eli and the mess that is the NYG right now?

The only other time I can think of this happening (a great coach leaving his prize QB) was Jimmy Johnson, and that's because there was a tremendous power struggle b/w he and jerry jones, with jones effectively running johnson out of town.

I'm sure BB loves a challenge, but I think winning Super Bowls is a big enough challenge for him even here in NE.

Just one more piece of irrefutable evidence
that BB & SP are just loading up for one final shot
before the window closes
... and they both head for NY together.
This statement makes so little sense that it is tough to tell if you are trying to be serious or just joking... nevertheless, it is clear that Belichick and Pioli are still acting in the best long-term interests of the club. If they really wanted "one final shot" before leaving town, they could have easily given Samuel a long term deal and backloaded the cap hit.

Mike Reiss does confirm Schefter's story.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/29/samuel_made_up_ground_1188368515/

After thinking about it, I guess I don't have as much of a problem with the Pats agreeing to this deal as I have that, if the Pats gave into Samuel's demands, why didn't they just do it before camp so that Samuel would have had a full camp under his belt. I don't think it is a huge mistake, but I do think the Pats should have made this decision earlier.

The precedent that the Patriots are willing to make a promise not to franchise someone.
Because maybe next time the Patriots won't want to make the promise.

Well, they set the precedent that they are willing to make a conditional agreement on not franchising a player. Which could make such negotiations easier in the future. Since the club and player can have a platform from which to work.

Sometimes you need to make a deal where you have to give something up. If you can live with these terms, then it is a good way to go. Gives everyone a little room to work with without having bridges burned.

I wish the Pats had been willing to be similarly flexible/creative when it came to figuring out how to keep Branch et al. Four trophies in Foxboro now if they had been, IMO.

But, the past is past. On to Phoenix!

Last edited:
I wish the Pats had been willing to be similarly flexible/creative when it came to figuring out how to keep Branch et al. Four trophies in Foxboro now if they had been, IMO.

They didn't make it to the superbowl, because the defense went in the crapper, does Branch play defense?

They were. But Branch and Chayut bolted the door after the initail offer and refused to talk again.

There have been too many misconcenptions to list about the Branch issue, but know this. If Branch really wanted to be a Patriot, he could have done so and still gotten paid what he wanted. It was just as much about getting out of NE as it was getting paid.

They didn't make it to the superbowl, because the defense went in the crapper, does Branch play defense?

I agree. Unless Branch could have covered Dallas Clark, I don't see us winning that game.

I agree. Unless Branch could have covered Dallas Clark, I don't see us winning that game.

Add Branch and NE wins rather easily. The defense sucked in the second half, but the offense did it no favors.

I'm willing to bet asante and Gay will both be gone next year.

Asante probably, but why are you so sure that Gay will be gone? They clearly love him, they tendered him at the 2nd-round level.

Asante probably, but why are you so sure that Gay will be gone? They clearly love him, they tendered him at the 2nd-round level.

They tendered him that highly because if they hadn't he would have been essentially an UFA. I would be willing to be that if a 3rd round tender existed, NE would have used that one.

That said, I am a Blue guy and I hope he is around (and healthy) for a long time.

I really, really don't think they would have been offered a #1 pick, especially since teams would know the Pats didn't actually want him to sign the tender and stay.

You have GOT to be kidding me. The only reason it didn't happen this year is that we felt Randall was worth it at 7.79 mill and it was a crappy draft, anyway. We were insisting - by ALL reports - on TWO #1's. We'll get one, for sure, if it's even a barely comparable year. And that's why I think this is a pretty big cave - especially since the Patriots had ALL the leverage.

Who cares? He's either going to sign next a long term deal or the Patriots let him go after getting a great year from him. Big deal.

No, it's those things OR they have the right to franchise and TRADE him for a valuable asset.

Believe it or not, I do agree with the argument that we should probably let this go and focus on the fact that we have a stellar team, all in the fold now, and that it's going to be a great season. I'm just so stunned by this ridiculous cave on an obvious BLUFF and so disappointed to (probably) lose the chance to deal the guy for another #1 pick, that it's hard to let go.

The precedent that the Patriots are willing to make a promise not to franchise someone.
Because maybe next time the Patriots won't want to make the promise.

Then they won't. I just don't understand what the big deal is. My assumption is that the Patriots believed they were getting something for this that was more valuable than the right to sign him for $9 million next year. If they feel the snap number for Asante is more valuable than that right, their track record at figuring out the better play in each situation is pretty darned good, so I'm fine with it.

I think it's probably a pretty fair assumption that after he banks his $7.8 million, Asante would have much much less incentive to report next year under the franchise and likely would just end up sitting out until week 10 then, which does nobody any good. If he was thinking about it last year, he'll probably do it next year and if the Patriots think the franchise power in that circumstance is minimal so be it.

It seems to me as though the Patriots make rational team-based decisions and that's why they've achieved so much. If they listened to fan message boards, they'd make instinctive, retributive, emotional decisions.

Last edited:
Add Branch and NE wins rather easily. The defense sucked in the second half, but the offense did it no favors.

I agree. Although the defense gets picked on for that game, the real goat, imho, was Troy Brown. A bad offensive pass interference call in the first half and he ran the wrong route late in the game that forced NE to punt which led to Indy's winning TD.

I would think Branch could have made a play to put that game out of reach at some point.

Then they won't. I just don't understand what the big deal is. My assumption is that the Patriots believed they were getting something for this that was more valuable than the right to sign him for $9 million next year. If they feel the snap number for Asante is more valuable than that right, their track record at figuring out the better play in each situation is pretty darned good, so I'm fine with it.

I think it's probably a pretty fair assumption that after he banks his $7.8 million, Asante would have much much less incentive to report next year under the franchise and likely would just end up sitting out until week 10 then, which does nobody any good. If he was thinking about it last year, he'll probably do it next year and if the Patriots think the franchise power in that circumstance is minimal so be it.

It seems to me as though the Patriots make rational team-based decisions and that's why they've achieved so much. If they listened to fan message boards, they'd make instinctive, retributive, emotional decisions.

I agree with this. There was no precedent set before the Branch fiasco and yet someone still manipulated a trade. Setting a precedent isn't nearly as relevent as people seem to think it is.

DO YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BELIEVE that we're saying we wanted the Franchise Tender to be available so we could keep Asante UNDER the Franchise number again?! Because NO ONE is arguing that. We're talking about leverage, the ability to do so SO THAT WE CAN TRADE ASANTE instead of him walking away for nothing. THAT is the big deal.

Could it work out, anyway? Sure, I guess. It's possible. But please, for the love of Christ, stop wondering what the "big deal" is! The "big deal" is a chance for elite compensation for a guy who won't be on this team a year from now. It's not complicated.

Last edited:
DO YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BELIEVE that we're saying we wanted the Franchise Tender to be available so we could keep Asante UNDER the Franchise number again?! Because NO ONE is arguing that. We're talking about leverage, the ability to do so SO THAT WE CAN TRADE ASANTE instead of him walking away for nothing. THAT is the big deal.

Could it work out, anyway? Sure, I guess. It's possible. But please, for the love of Christ, stop wondering what the "big deal" is! The "big deal" is a chance for elite compensation for a guy who won't be on this team a year from now. It's not complicated.

NE will almost certainly get a 3rd rounder no matter what.

We have no idea what happened behind closed doors. Samuel could very well have said that he was going to continue to stay away otherwise. NE looked at it and said, "We're going to have two 1st rounders next year regardless. Is the upgrade from a #3 to a #1 worth the turmoil that Samuel could cause?"

Last edited:

Correct. Many people fail to see this point. The offense could not slow the momentum of the Colts O, which led to our D being wiped out by exhaustion. Even when we scored, it was after very short drives set up by KO returns.

If Deion could've gotten us a single first down on our second to last drive, we win the game.

Btw, I'm glad we traded him. He would've helped us win, but in a close game you can always point to numerous things that would've put you over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye