PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante got conditional guarantee he won't be franchised

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reports I saw about Branch were almost exclusively about long term contract extensions, not franchise implications.
Well you remember wrong.

I wouldn't "sit his ass out until week 10" as you suggested. He's back for this year. Why be bitter?
I understand that point of view. However my opinion is I'd rather lose 2/3 of the regular season of Samuel to retain power over where he goes next year while still having him for the playoffs this year.

The reports I saw about Branch were almost exclusively about long term contract extensions, not franchise implications.
There's a variety of links if you google it, this one's from Ian referencing the ProJo :

"According to the Providence Journal the issue now is over whether or not the Patriots will decide to put the franchise tag on Branch should he decide to play out the season and try to test the free agent market after this year. The veteran receiver is in the final year of his five-year rookie contract and missed the first day of practice, which reportedly cost him $14,000.

He's now apparently willing to return to the field, providing the team will set him free after this season."

http://www.patsfans.com/stories/display_story.php?story_id=2975

and the likely source :

"The agent for Deion Branch said yesterday that the wide receiver would report to camp without a new deal if the Patriots promise not to use the franchise tag on him in 2007."

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060728_28patsjo.f300bc.html

Well Belichick was in charge last year and they could have made the same deal with Branch. If it's me I let him sit until Week 10, Franchise and trade him; probably getting a #1 pick. We still have him for the last 1/3 of the regular season, the playoffs and then can get something for him and control where he goes.

How about if he goes to the Jets next year for nothing ? Are the 10 games worth losing that control ?

That could very well happen. The word "conditional" is the key here. Who knows what kinds of "conditions" have been attached to whatever agreement they struck. We'll never know.

I can only conclude that he didn't feel like a future draft pick was worth weakening the team's chances of winning in the present. I agree wholeheartedly.

The Branch comparison doesn't really wash with me. BB values corners more than he does receivers, generally speaking. I could easily see where he would be more apt to concede a little ground to a good corner before he would a good receiver.

The bottom line is we have a motivated player ready to go and earn his pay day, one that makes the team as good as it can be.

Last edited:
A)This isn't the first time the Pats have done this. By numerous accounts Vinatieri got the same promise.

B)They had no intention of franchising him again anyway - they offerred him a LT deal with 13m guarenteed. The franchise tag next year + this year is 17m. They clearly think he is not worth that.

You don't have to PAY him the franchise amount. You franchise him for the PURPOSE of dealing him for a #1 or more. To give up that possibility is stupid.

I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is here. Who cares? They told the guy they won't franchise him next year after he caved and showed up at camp. I really can't see this setting too much of a "precedent." And, frankly, I don't really think the Patriots care about "precedent." They are going to do what they are going to do in every situation for the best of the team.

The patriots are all about taking the 51 percent play over the 49 percent play. Maybe given the FA market they are not prepared to pay him $9 million anyway. Maybe they decided a happier Asante is worth more than they are giving up. Maybe they are still hopeful of getting a deal done with him next year and see this as free good will.

All in all, it seems like a lot of bellyaching to me. Actually, it sounds like fans with resentment. I'd prefer the Patriots took the emotion out of it, rather than trying to exact a pound of flesh, and made the best judgment for the team.

A lot of bellyaching re: the possibility that they just caved for no good reason, thereby relinquishing a #1 pick? I should HOPE so. There just can't be any way they would do this, NO WAY. This is brain-dead stupid, and they aren't that, at least not most of the time.

For those of you who do not want to believe it, believe it.. Reiss and Gaspar have a story on it in the Globe... without regard we will find out if this guy was a one year wonder or the real thing.. sometimes statistics (10 ints) are not the real barometer of how good a player is, as this is not a stat driven defense it may become more obvious.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/08/29/samuel_made_up_ground/

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the dreadlocked defensive back can avoid the dreaded franchise label if he plays a certain amount of snaps (likely 75 percent) or the team wins a certain number of games. It's similar to what the Chicago Bears did with linebacker Lance Briggs, who balked at signing his franchise tender until the team included an out: If Briggs plays 75 percent of Chicago's defensive snaps, he can't be franchised next season.

Without the contract amendment, Samuel would have been looking at the same deal he's rejected since he was tagged in February. Speaking with the media yesterday for the first time since his return, Samuel would not confirm that he received any concessions. However, he continually alluded to an agreement being reached.

"Both sides are happy. We reached an agreement. It worked out fine," said Samuel, who missed a month of training camp. "Everybody is happy, that's what it all comes down to."

I am disappointed. If they were going to make a deal where they wouldn't franchise him then they should have made it in time for him being in training camp and being up to speed with everyone else. Otherwise what's the point? Making the deal now doesn't make a lot of sense.

75% of the snaps and the Patriots have to win 12 games isn't that bad a deal, but I don't think at this point that was the right decision. If he wanted to sit out until week 10 I would have let him rather than do this deal now.

I imagine they will keep Meriweather mostly at corner to get him ready for next year. I'm willing to bet asante and Gay will both be gone next year. That leaves Hobbs and no one at the corners. If Meriweather can make the transition it would be a huge plus for the Pats. I don't think Mike Richardson will be in the mix to start, although I expect him to get a good deal of playing time next year. I'm glad we have two first rounders!

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the dreadlocked defensive back can avoid the dreaded franchise label if he plays a certain amount of snaps.

Looks like he's no longer dreadlocked.

samuel98292007.jpg

I'd have told him to sit his ass out until week 10.

Just one more piece of irrefutable evidence
that BB & SP are just loading up for one final shot
before the window closes
... and they both head for NY together.

before the window closes

How exactly?

This isn't even the first time they have made this promise to franchised players. I don't get what all the pissing and moaning is about.

There's no reason to get all frothed up about this. One, none of us, or the media, knows what the stipulations are. Two, for all we know this could be a stepping stone to signing a long term deal next year, which they can't do now. Third, we as fans and the media come up with the whole "Patriot" doctrine. They have never said we don't make these promises or they don't renegotiate early. Seymour got his bump in pay when he held out and I think Rodney probably did too after his comments a couple of years ago. Lastly if getting Asante here helps win another title then I think it was worth whatever may be the minimal consequences.

A lot of bellyaching re: the possibility that they just caved for no good reason, thereby relinquishing a #1 pick?

I really, really don't think they would have been offered a #1 pick, especially since teams would know the Pats didn't actually want him to sign the tender and stay. (In fact, if a #1 had been offered this year they probably would have taken it.) Let's suppose, though, that they would have been offered a #2. An FA contract he signs could well net them a #3 comp pick, and they're already loaded with picks to start with.

I don't think this is a huge price to pay to get a legit starting CB into camp and moderately content. And as others have mentioned, they famously made this promise to Adam too so the "bad precedent" isn't such an issue.

I don't know why the Pats would make a promise not to franchise him again. Why would BB/Pioli give up the prospect of getting two 1st rounders as compensation just so Assante can break the bank with another team.:confused:

I'd franchise him next season too- it wouldn't matter as he was going to leave at the end of that (second franchise) season anyway. Why let him go a year earlier?

iam not sure i completely believe schefter. He is sometimes right and frequently wrong also (e.g. "Javon Walker is currently in new england undergoing a physical").

If the pats had to make these assurances they wouldve made it before Training Camp and moved on from the distraction.
Its possible the pats offered some incentives but schefter is just making things up like winning double digit games will help samuel. That is totally ridiculous. He isnt a baseball starting pitcher. This is football.

and in the meantime...lets enjoy this year....what will happen next year..will happen. asante as an almost shutdown corner..and hobbs or gay on the other side...sounds pretty good...esp if we can get a better rush on the qb...peyton ie.

Well, i am going to go glass half full here...

A precedent has been set, but it is not neccisarily a bad one. It gives them some room to negotiate should they need to use the franchise tag again.

In the end it comes down to the fact that the player can simply refuse to pklay unless you make some sort of concesion. If the FO can find a way to live with concesions they made now, then I am sure they can live with them later.

Who cares? He's either going to sign next a long term deal or the Patriots let him go after getting a great year from him. Big deal.

before the window closes

Actually, I think its more a case that BB isn't a huge fan of Samuel's abilities and won't commit long term, while he knows he needs him this year in the secondary while Meriweather learns the ropes. Meriweather is probably Samuel's replacement next year.

You know what, guys?

It is time to stop worrying about next year and to start enjoying this year. Whatever concession the Patriots may or may not have given Samuel, it is a good thing that he will be with the team this season.
Thank you. Let's stay in the moment for the moment, which is this season. Anything can happen down the road that would render this whole discussion meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News