PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante got conditional guarantee he won't be franchised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say this for Tomase - EVERYONE gets things wrong, and it looks like a lot of other locals got it wrong, Adam Schefter got it right but he's gotten things wrong, 'though not this one - but the Herald is the only place where you see a straightforward admission, a proper amount of humility. I appreciate it.

Good to see Tomase man up about his error.

Well Belichick was in charge last year and they could have made the same deal with Branch. If it's me I let him sit until Week 10, Franchise and trade him; probably getting a #1 pick. We still have him for the last 1/3 of the regular season, the playoffs and then can get something for him and control where he goes.

How about if he goes to the Jets next year for nothing ? Are the 10 games worth losing that control ?

I wonder if Belichick tried to trade him this last offseason?

If this is true, I am disappointed to here it. Personally, I don't think they will franchise Samuel again next year because of the expense, but I would have liked for them to stick to their guns on principle. As history has shown us, you cave to one guy and the next guy is going to want/expect/demand the same thing.
No need to worry. THe "precedent" is already set. When they franchised AV they promised not to do it as second time.

But basicaly your concern is pointless. You are assuming that the Pats will treat all players the same. Just becuase they give player X one thing does not mean they will do the same for Player Y.

It is okay for players to want to be treated the same as another player. They are entitled to want anything they, well, want. But that has nothing to do with what the Patriots will do.

Congratulations to Asante! He will only have to play for patriots for one additional year beyond the end of his contract, with no long-term agreement. I trust that he was able to secure injury insurance for 2 or 3 million dollar premium.

This as opposed to Seymour and Warren who negoitated long-term deals 2 years before the end of their contracts, and as opposed to Branch who didn't even complete his rookie contract.

BTW, I am sure that the deal was agreed upon before Asante stepped on that airplane to Boston.
OK, not quite fully agreed upon, but there was a basis for a preagreement.
“It was always in the works - it was just something that got ironed out over the Monday-Tuesday exchange,” Shavers said. “We couldn’t get everything done Monday. We got it done Tuesday. It just looks like it was a big surprise. But it was ongoing.”
There was no way that the Patriots would cave in over the course of 24 hours simply because Asante showed up.

I'd have told him to sit his ass out until week 10.

Not me. I'm perfectly fine with getting Asante's best year, winning another championship, then saying adios Asante. I remember speculating that I'd offer a promise not to franchise in order to get Asante into uniform.
The Pats apparently thought the same way and made a conditional promise to him. Which is still pretty sweet. Superbowl here we come. :singing:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye