PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Santonio Thomas released

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/10/thomas_waived.html

October 25, 2007
Thomas waived
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots waived DL Santonio Thomas today, opening a spot on their 53-man roster. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Thomas, who has played in four games this season, would likely return on the team's practice squad if he is not claimed by another club by 4 p.m. Friday.

Thomas was credited by the team's coaches with five tackles this season. The Patriots still have six defensive linemen on the roster -- Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, Mike Wright, Le Kevin Smith and Kareem Brown.

As for how the Patriots fill the open roster spot, it could come from one of the three players who opened the year on the physically unable to perform list and have started practicing -- WR Chad Jackson, CB Eddie Jackson and DL Richard Seymour.

While it might seem as if this move clears the way for Seymour, it wouldn't be surprising if the Patriots had special teams help on the mind instead, which could lead to Eddie Jackson's activation. The Patriots have had their depth on special teams tested with ILB Eric Alexander (knee) and S Mel Mitchell (groin) missing last week's game and being held out of practices this week. Also, depth in the secondary could be thinned with S Eugene Wilson (ankle) missing the last two practices.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 09:15:32 PM

For some reason I read Santonio HOLMES released.

I was about to e-mail the Dolphins to pick him up. LOL!

Hello Richard Seymour
We Love You

Thomas played well in preseason. Would rather have seen Cassel get the boot, but didn't think that would happen.

Seymour's back. I'm willing to bet the obvious choice here rather than the "special teams help" longshot, especially since it was a lineman who was waived.

He'll either be a jet dolphin or bronco by the end of the week

i bet the colts will pick him up or at least for this next week

i bet the colts will pick him up or at least for this next week

No they don't do that. Remember, they're good and that's underhanded and below them. :bricks:

No they don't do that. Remember, they're good and that's underhanded and below them. :bricks:

yea, wut r u talking about? the paladin's of the NFL? are u kidding me? they are the saints...

He's Baaaaaaaaack...:D

Thomas played well in preseason. Would rather have seen Cassel get the boot, but didn't think that would happen.

Seymour's back. I'm willing to bet the obvious choice here rather than the "special teams help" longshot, especially since it was a lineman who was waived.

Oh, for cripe's sake. . . . :rolleyes:

Again, I don't think anyone here's going to argue that was a good throw. But if the Pats didn't trust Cassel that much, why on earth did they waive Testaverde back in September?

Santonio Thomas is who I thought they'd release all along. Oh, and everyone say hello to Mr. Seymour! :D

When I said he looked good and moved well at practice the other day I was serious, and wasn't reciting written word.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Kareem Brown didn't have a practice accident. Are they afraid of being caught abusing the IR, want to have Kareem around to learn, or what?

Santonio could come in handy if they had injuries. I though he always showed a lot of hustle for a big man.

Count me among those who, while not wanting to hijack the thread too much further on this topic, think we can probably do without the "I wish we had cut Matt Cassel" nonsense.

I'm not surprised it was Santonio Thomas who got released instead of Kareem Brown. Didn't Brown make the 53 over him originally, anyway? Seems to me the Pats brass have considered him better/more valuable than Thomas from the get-go.

Welcome back Big Sey......

The events earlier this week had me thinking Seymour would be back for the Colts.

Do you think he plays this weekend?

Last edited:
I think this fits into the "give Seymour a few reps" plan.

It certainly does if the game plan vs. the Skins happens to be heavy on DL.

As for STs -- how consistently do the starting LBs cover kicks these days? Bruschi? Vrabel? We know AD is Pro Bowl great at it in principle, but I don't think he's doing it, given his reps on defense and how much he's had to learn. And that was even before he was hobbled a bit.

I'm drawing a potential connection here between DL playing more reps in the defense and starting LBs playing more reps on STs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back