PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 DL Discussion

Fact: Belichick has never drafted a kicker above the 4th round. It's not like he took Ryland in the 2nd round or something..
Fact: Many people claim that Belichick is too lenient with Kickers/Punters. People were calling for Gostkowski to be cut because of one off year. People said Bailey should be cut after his injury plagued year in 2021.

Looks like you're the one who's wrong.

If we are, that speaks to the lack of talent on their team more than Warren's ability.

You have no clue what Brown's issues were last year. For all you know, he had issues with Patricia the same as Bourne. Just that the Pats OT depth was shot and they didn't have anyone to put there if they benched Brown.

Like others, you have completely ignored the idea that you've over-valued the talent that was available at OT outside of the top 4 while also ignoring that B'OB could have easily felt that Steen wasn't better than what the Patriots currently have.

I think it's as likely that Cole Strange starts at LT as Sidy Sow does.

View attachment 51138
You know I kind of forgot about the possibility of Strange moving out to LT. I have long believed that you need more athletic OT's to compete against the uber athletic edge rushers that are coming into the league. That is why I thought Wynn was such a good pick, and when he actually got on the field it looked like it might have worked. He was effective at first. In the end I guess he just didn't want to play enough to be good. And the injuries and the move to RT didn't help either. In the end Wynn didn't pan out BUT the concept behind the pick wasn't incorrect.

I can get behind the reality that after the top 2 or 3 OT's the class dropped off considerably in the minds of most NFL draft rooms, but like State, I was surprised when we didn't come out of the 4th round with a developmental OT. The Pitt kid, was someone I liked too, but maybe his profile looked too much like Cajuste's and they shied away.

So the fact is that both Sow and Strange have the ATHLETIC profile that you would want in a LT, but neither has much experience at playing the position. It just adds more intrigue about the what TC is going to be looking like.

As far as the draft goes, I'm surprised that we DIDN'T take a chance at a TE shot like Washington or Kuntz, who were both available late in on the 3rd day when we were loading up on CB's and WR's.

One question for the group btw. When go over to PFT I can't help notice posts that mention this team of they just signed 10-14 UDFA's. By now the Pats have already done that too, EXCEPT for this year. From what I understand our UDFA list is currently 3 players? Why is this? Do we not have the spots open to sign more, or are they waiting for the XFL, USFL seasons end to pick up some players.

Last year once Ekuale joined the team in week 3 we went with 8 DL on the active roster (typically 7 on the gameday roster and 1 inactive)

SnapCounts:
D. Wise - 73.4%
D. Godchaux - 58.3%
L. Guy - 44.5% (3 games inactive)
D. Ekuale - 32.2% (2 game susp)
C. Barmore - 29.1% (7 games inactive/IR)
C. Davis - 19.4%
S. Roberts - Primarily Inactive
D. Mitchell - Primarily Special Teams

These questions/thoughts/observations are assuming that we go with the same roster construction as last year.

Roster Locks:
D. Wise - Not going anywhere
K. White - Can take some of the pressure off of Wise and keep him fresher.
D. Godchaux - Not going anywhere
C. Barmore - My pick to take a major leap forward this year

Near Lock:
D. Ekuale - Cheap and plays his role well
L. Guy - Solid player and vet presence. Will they cut their Man of the Year candidate. Doubt it but who knows with BB.

Upgrade Possible:
C. Davis - Wouldn't mind a slightly more impactful guy (A'Shawn Robinson) that could maybe take Godchaux spot next year, but Davis is fine in his role as well.

Spot 8:
Who knows between D. Mitchell and S. Roberts. D. Mitchell provides special teams so I probably would go with him.

Mister Grumpy will help of course, but I had hoped to draft one more ED before the end...

Regarding the two bolded, Ukulele's a 'roid cheat; and have ye forgotten what Mitchell "provided" during one particular KO return in Minnesota?

And we Still need a true Beef Curtain, such as Coastal Carolina's & Dorchester MA's Jerrod Clark.

Mister Grumpy will help of course, but I had hoped to draft one more ED before the end...

Regarding the two bolded, Ukulele's a 'roid cheat; and have ye forgotten what Mitchell "provided" during one particular KO return in Minnesota?

And we Still need a true Beef Curtain, such as Coastal Carolina's & Dorchester MA's Jerrod Clark.
A rookie with one bad play should be cut. For veterans, we allow two.

I don't judge who is a 'roid cheat. I don't know. If you do, please report it to the team and the league.
===========
UNTIL THEN
For me, the 6 listed are locks, and almost locks. Yes, Guy could retire. Yes, Ekuale could be upgraded or beaten out by Roberts.

Mitchell is a long shot to beat out a position player, although it could happen. He is a special teamer, surely until we see meaningful reps on Defense.

I like having another biggie on the DL. Davis fits the bill for now.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back