PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints fans are taking this game WAY too seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all relative when it comes to NFL schedules with that few games and one game being two game swings essentially.

I did not believe that it was all relative in 2003 when the Pats went 10-0 against teams with winning records. I did not believe that it was all relative in 2004 when the 2004 Patriots went 10-1 mark against Quality Teams. I do not believe that it is now.

Why are you counting the Saints' record already in SOS??

Because we already know their record when the Pats face them. You shouldn't take it seriously anyway, any "SOS" analysis is inherently flawed because you have to debate the merits of your methodology regardless of what method you use because someone will find fault with it.

Strength of schedule is just another way to insert superfluous analysis into an argument to try and bolster one's position, but it doesn't even remotely tell the whole story. My point with my example is that you can swing it to look however you want. Remove the Saints if you like and it's 25-20, still ostensibly a far cry from the easiest schedule in the league as that link asserted. In my opinion, the weight that a SOS argument carries lags far behind positional comparisons, coaching quality, talent evaluations, positional matchups, experience, gameday tendencies, etc., etc., etc.

In the end, you are what your record says you are. The Pats are 7-3, and there's good reason for that. Look at the second half of the Pats' performances, and Brady's lower level of play at the start of the season. The Saints are 10-0 because they've made a habit of playing 60 minutes and are balanced in all facets of their game.

I'm pretty sure it's strength of schedule, or record of teams that you won against. Either way, Minnesota would definitely have the upper hand, as we've beaten a few teams with awful records. (rams, tampa, detroit)
Okay, I follow you. I was figuring the strength of schedule would be similar or in your favor: you play the Bucs twice, they play the Lions twice; Atlanta about equal to Green Bay; Carolina about equal to Chicago; etc. With the NFC South playing the NFC East this year while the Vikings (NFC North) play the NFC West - the weakest division in the NFL - I thought the Saints would have had a tougher strength of schedule, but I forgot that the Saints finished in 4th place last year and they have those two 4th place teams (Lions, Rams) on their schedule.

I think that the the Saints fans and media are hyping this game and putting way too much importance on it. Some of them have said it the biggest game in franchise history.

I don't know if the Saints players are buying into the hype. If they are they make come out trying a little too hard or playing tight. Maybe they are viewing it a what it is; a very good regular season match-up but not a defining game.

For the Patriots, next weeks game with the Fins very important and certainly more important than the Saints game. The Patriots are use to playing big time games and the Saints are not. So if there is any advantage to this hype, it will be with the Patriots.

I think that the the Saints fans and media are hyping this game and putting way too much importance on it. Some of them have said it the biggest game in franchise history.

I don't know if the Saints players are buying into the hype. If they are they make come out trying a little too hard or playing tight. Maybe they are viewing it a what it is; a very good regular season match-up but not a defining game.

For the Patriots, next weeks game with the Fins very important and certainly more important than the Saints game. The Patriots are use to playing big time games and the Saints are not. So if there is any advantage to this hype, it will be with the Patriots.

While this week is certainly more important in regards to the division race, I think this week is almost as important. We can keep our cushion in the division race with a win. If we lose and the Dolphins win, they can take control of the division race with a win next week. And they will have the tiebreaker with only one loss in the division (4-1 vs. us with a 3-2 record if the fins win next week). So this week is certainly important, IMO.

Last edited:

Saints fans may want to consider also that if their team is buying into the hype as you mentioned, there is a very good chance they lose next week, regardless of the final score in this game. The Bills, Jets, Ravens, Falcons and Broncos all took a nosedive after playing the Pats, and the Dolphins nearly lost to Tampa Bay after their game in Foxboro.

Regardless, I do agree that experience in highly hyped games and having a bullseye on their back is something that favors the Patriots.

On second thought, this is reminding me a lot of how Chargers fans were three years ago...

I did not believe that it was all relative in 2003 when the Pats went 10-0 against teams with winning records. I did not believe that it was all relative in 2004 when the 2004 Patriots went 10-1 mark against Quality Teams. I do not believe that it is now.

What JD is saying is that, with 6 games still to play, strength of schedule doesn't mean all that much right now. A team that's 5-5 right now could end up 11-5, etc.... The truth lies somewhere between strength of schedule being a huge thing and being nothing at all, as teams like the Giants and Jets illustrate quite well.

I'm pumped up for this game. I mean its a Monday Night game in the Dome against the best opponent we will face this year until the playoffs. What Saints fan wouldnt be excited about this game ?

The whole "this is their superbowl" comment I dont understand though. This is the most meaningless game we have left on our schedule. As a non-conference game its just not that important, we are a pretty safe lock for the division, and still in the driver's seat for HFA. For the Pats on the other hand, this is a big game. A loss this week would mean the Phins could very well take control of the division next week with only 4 games left to play.

I have seen a lot of my fellow Saints fans predict they score 35 + points, and I don't really see how this should be a problem for anyone. It's no disrespect to the Pats defense, its more of the fact that the Saints are averaging 36.9 ppg. We scored 40+ on the Giants (4th ranked defense) and 40+ on the Iggles (8th), and you guys have the 7th ranked D. So its not really any disrespect, its just that we know it can be done, and have come to expect that kind of performance out of our offense.

Im looking for a close game, but I think the fact that the Saints are a very strong 2nd half team (105-24 4th quarter), and the Pats struggle in the 2nd half, especially on the road, will equal a Saints win in the end. Of course I dont expect any here to agree with me, so we will just have to agree to disagree until around 11 on Monday night. :)

I'm pumped up for this game. I mean its a Monday Night game in the Dome against the best opponent we will face this year until the playoffs. What Saints fan wouldnt be excited about this game ?

[...]

Im looking for a close game, but I think the fact that the Saints are a very strong 2nd half team (105-24 4th quarter), and the Pats struggle in the 2nd half, especially on the road, will equal a Saints win in the end. Of course I dont expect any here to agree with me, so we will just have to agree to disagree until around 11 on Monday night. :)

Again, more very reasonable thoughts from a Saints fan.

I am very worried about the fourth quarter, how the Pats will do. Their lack of depth on defense tends to show up late in the game, after they have played great for 3+ quarters. They simply have trouble maintaining such intensity, given the depth, for four full quarters.

What baffles me, though, is our offenses inability to pull their weight as the game moves into the fourth quarter. Frankly, this is fairly unique to this year, I don't remember a Belichick team ever slumping so much on offense in the second half.

On the other hand, the Pats tend to ramp things up and really bring their best game in December. Belichick, all week, will be pushing into their heads that they are underdogs, that they are favored by the "experts" to lose by three points, that their loss to Indy shows they are not ready for the prime time yet, that Brady still hasn't hit his stride.

In other words, I expect the Pats to come out hard, fast, bringing their best game. If our offensive line can hold for those precious seconds to give Brady time to dump to Welker, it should be an intense high-scoring game.

Please, Pats, give us a win!!!:popcorn::woot::scream:

Hank Greenberg on ESPN likes the Patriots to win this one. In the video, he is drunk or on some excellent pain killers. Go for it Hank. That is not a good omen, since Hank is wrong about 65% of the time. Why is he picking games?

The score will be lower than people think. Look for the Pats to use Sammy Morris and Lawrence Moroney to eat some clock and for the Pats defense to come out p*ssed like they did against the Jets. This is a Patriots' defensive statement game and Brees has not seen a Belichick defense designed to confuse him the way Manning has.

Pats 27 - Saints 13

You pick out one season, I pick out another. They were 2-4 against teams .500 or better in the regular season in 2001 and won the Super Bowl. The three 5-5 teams they played this year, Atlanta, Miami and Baltimore all could be 6-5 after tomorrow with Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Big Ben-less Pittsburgh at home on the schedule. Suddenly, if that happens as it should, those become three wins against "winning teams" or "quality teams" or whatever. The season is not over. It is all relative. Especially at this point.

P.S. The Steelers were 3-3 in the regular season vs. "playoff teams" last year.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Dayum, the aints fans are crawling out of the woodwork. Now where did I put that can of....

258Troll_spray.jpg

There are jerk fans of every NFL team. Most of them are bandwagon fans who have seem to come out of the woodwork. New Orleans is a city that relies on tourists and most people will welcome other teams fans.

This is a serious game. This is a defining game for both teams. The Saints have never been 10-0, let alone 11-0. The Patriots have, and I am sure that they would like nothing better than to beat the Saints tonight. The Patriots flat outplayed the Colts, and then lost that game in the 4th quarter. I am sure they would love to show the country that they are capable of beating another unbeaten team. And they are.

I don't know what will happen in this game, but it will be a playoff atmosphere. I think it will be electric. The last team to go 16-0, standing in the way of the Saints attempt to do the same. The Saints have had a rough stretch of turning over the ball and falling behind, and yet they still keep winning. Last week, they did not turn over the ball, and dominated a bad Bucs team. You can say the Saints have not played anyone, but they beat both the Giant and Jets when they were unbeaten at the time.

I think this will be a fun game to watch, and I give the edge to New Orleans because they are at home, and they have more offensive weapons. However, I think that Brady, Welker, Moss and company are certainly capable of winning this game. Saints running game is better, they have the three headed monster of Thomas, Bush, and Bell. The Pats have Maroney, and Faulk. Is Sammy Morris a go? Fred is still on the shelf.

The Saints have been dominating in closing games. The Pats have not been good at finishing games. I am setting the DVR, I think this is a game I will want to watch again. Good luck tonight.

Who said they have never fielded a good team?
Don't mind the odd post either, take the general consensus of whats been said and reply to that. Most of the guys on here are very honest and they will have an intelligent conversation with you if you remain respectful. If you go ranting about something you will lose that respect quickly as the trolls and idiots will jump all over your post and then you respond annoyed and it all goes off.;)

Thanks man, I'll try to keep that in mind. Seems like that one guy is just trying to push my buttons by downplaying a Saints team that went deep in the playoffs.

Not so fast...you KNOW this game means MORE to the PATRIOTS than the Saints... you NEED this win to say above Miami..MImai is on your butt. The Saints would "benefit" from this win, morally...Kep the PATS in check, that the 2007 Pats are done and over...bye bye...that's all. Chargers Colts, Bengals an Broncos all stand in the way of the Patriots to go deep in the playoffs...No one stands in the way of the Saints......No one.

I have to disagree with this post. Brett Favre Brett Favre Brett Favre. The Saints have to stay ahead of the Vikings to keep the Brett Favre dam from breaking wide open.

Not so fast...you KNOW this game means MORE to the PATRIOTS than the Saints... you NEED this win to say above Miami..MImai is on your butt. The Saints would "benefit" from this win, morally...Kep the PATS in check, that the 2007 Pats are done and over...bye bye...that's all. Chargers Colts, Bengals an Broncos all stand in the way of the Patriots to go deep in the playoffs...No one stands in the way of the Saints......No one.

I have to disagree with this post. Brett Favre Brett Favre Brett Favre. The Saints have to stay ahead of the Vikings to keep the Brett Favre dam from breaking wide open.

Miami is not on our butt thanks to Buffalo. They have been left by the side of the road as the Pats playoff coach once again rumbles by. However, I, as a Pats fan am also taking this game WAY TOO seriously!! I can't wait and I will be sorely disappointed if our boys do not come out with a win from the place that I think, arguably, was the site of Tom Brady's greatest victory ever! We have beaten every single one of the teams you list when we needed to, one way or another (and several of them will take out eachother without us ever having to face them). I hope the Saints are thinking like these fans - that the Pats will be a walk-over and that nothing stands in the way of their Superbowl dreams. I think/hope/pray that they are in for a rotten surprise tonight!

Who's That.

That's how you say it in English.

So were we that year.

We consider that a disaster.

ouch.

Anyway, I may have come off rude in the initial post but I still say the game is being hyped up far too much for what it is, a regular season game. It's great if we win from a psyche standpoint and from a first round bye standpoint but with Miami's loss yesterday we pretty much have the division wrapped unless we think Miami is going to somehow win out. By the way, Miami's schedule:

Patriots
Jags
Titans
Texans
Steelers

From the Saints standpoint it's big mostly for psychological reasons, but also to hold off the Favres, but again they're getting a first round bye no matter what, and it isn't like they'll be going to Chicago, they'd be going to a dome.

Frankly I'll be happy when this game is over so I can go back to liking the Saints. I try to root for them but when it comes right down to it it's impossible to be a real fan of two teams so let's kick the crap out of them tonight and if they should go to the Superbowl and face anyone but us, I'll be cheering them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents