PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints fans are taking this game WAY too seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced NFL Stats, the site that everyone used the stats for to defend Bills 4th and 2 decisions gives the Pats a 34% chance of winning the game

I can't speak for every Saints Fan, but here's my take:

I understand why our fans feel disrespected because of the "East Coast Bias". Despite going undefeated, they feel the national media (don't EVEN say ESPN down here) continually puts this Saints team down. They point out that we've had an easy schedule,(but the Pats or the Vikings haven't?) or that we've gotten by against weak opponents, or that we simply haven't played consistently, esp the last 4-5 weeks. Many of our fans feel if we lose against the Pats, the media will call us overrated at 10-1. If we win, it wont be because we were the better team, but that maybe the Pats had injuries, or the wind in the Superdome gave em problems.

Right, Pats fans?

Wrong
We call'm BSPN for a reason, so if you feel like you are disrespected a bit get in line.

Excuses like the Wind in the SD? Get Real

I can't speak for every Saints Fan, but here's my take:

Yes, we are VERY excited about Monday's game. Put it in context; in the history of this franchise, we have never gone to the SB, have rarely even gone to the playoffs, let alone win,we have never been 10-0 before, and we are hoping to extend that streak by playing on Monday night against the one team that we most want to be like! Somewhere during the early years of Pats success, you had those moments as well. So don't hate on us because of our excitement.

Also in the history of this franchise, even our best teams were incomplete and fell short. Big time D, no O. Big time O no D. Playing soft, no discipline, undercoached. We've seen it all enough to know that this team is DIFFERENT!

I understand why our fans feel disrespected because of the "East Coast Bias". Despite going undefeated, they feel the national media (don't EVEN say ESPN down here) continually puts this Saints team down. They point out that we've had an easy schedule,(but the Pats or the Vikings haven't?) or that we've gotten by against weak opponents, or that we simply haven't played consistently, esp the last 4-5 weeks. Many of our fans feel if we lose against the Pats, the media will call us overrated at 10-1. If we win, it wont be because we were the better team, but that maybe the Pats had injuries, or the wind in the Superdome gave em problems.

Who knows.

For me, I want us to have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The Vikings are only one game behind us, and the Patriots stand before us.

Thats why I wanna win Monday night. Not for some record, or because its the Pats. I just wanna beat the next team we face to keep homefield advantage. Im looking at the bigger picture. I think this Saints team is that good, and come playoff time, you take any advantage you can get......

Right, Pats fans?

I don't know how anyone could watch the 2007 season and think that ESPN favors the Patriots in any way other than bashing us for a story. We're lucky as New england fans to have excellent local coverage of all of our teams so those of us that live in New England or have Direc TV can watch NESN or CSN New England, plus we have 2 good sports radio stations that can be streamed anywhere online.

Last edited:
I don't understand the OP. The Saints should be taking this game very seriously. It's their toughest game in the regular season, it's a MNF game, it's a chance to answer a lot of doubters, so why shouldn't they be rabid and excited? I'm actually proud of their fan base for being so excited.

We rip Lions fans for not showing up or Jacksonville fans for letting their stadium be overrun by the other team's fans, but when a fan base gets excited, we criticize them? New Orleans will have a definite homefield advantage Monday night, so kudos to them.

Sure, there have been a few drunken idiots posting trash talk. But let's not pretend that no Pats fan would ever do the same thing :p We've had some good posters here, I've learned a lot about our opponent, and I'm looking forward to a great game Monday night.

Meh. You can twist scheduling numbers to look however you want.

For example, that site says the Pats have faced only two quality opponents, but what is the combined record of the teams the Pats have faced at the time they faced them?

Buffalo 0-0
Jets 1-0
Falcons 2-0
Ravens 3-0
Broncos 4-0
Titans 0-5
Bucs 0-6
Dolphins 3-4
Indy 8-0
Jets 4-5
Saints 10-0

Combined Record - 35-20, not too shabby, eh?

You can twist scheduling stats any way you want to prove a point. Consider me unimpressed by "strength of schedule" arguments.

the patriots are 7-3, they havnt beaten a team with a winning record yet. That sounds like a few "cupcake" teams to me.

Its all relative, they have beaten 3 teams that are 5-5. Which means if the Pats HADN'T beaten them they'd all be 6-4 and right in the playoff race if not challenging for their division, meaning they could eventually be considered among the "top" teams this year.

Within 10 games, a single win by the Pats is basically a two game swing. They've played opponents in 3 other games that are 4-6, meaning if they had beaten the Pats each time they'd be 5-5.

In other words, if the Pats HADN'T taken care of business, that stat could be twisted to be "sure, the Pats are 1-10 but they've had an incredibly hard schedule....9 of their 11 opponents are .500 or better, 6 of 11 are 6-4 or better and 2 are undefeated......"

Its all relative when it comes to NFL schedules with that few games and one game being two game swings essentially.

J D Sal

Its all relative, they have beaten 3 teams that are 5-5. Which means if the Pats HADN'T beaten them they'd all be 6-4 and right in the playoff race if not challenging for their division, meaning they could eventually be considered among the "top" teams this year.

Within 10 games, a single win by the Pats is basically a two game swing. They've played opponents in 3 other games that are 4-6, meaning if they had beaten the Pats each time they'd be 5-5.

In other words, if the Pats HADN'T taken care of business, that stat could be twisted to be "sure, the Pats are 1-10 but they've had an incredibly hard schedule....9 of their 11 opponents are .500 or better, 6 of 11 are 6-4 or better and 2 are undefeated......"

Its all relative when it comes to NFL schedules with that few games and one game being two game swings essentially.

J D Sal

This is exactly what I was thinking, but it sounded more like NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN when I tried to figure out how to say it. :blahblah:

They should be taking it seriously. This is a big game for both teams. For the Saints, it's a measuring stick that will either give the team confidence to go deep into the playoffs or let them know that they are still lacking when it comes to competing with the upper eschelon teams. For the Pats it's big because, if we lose, we go into Miami next week with a team that started 0-3 that suddenly has a chance to draw even in the division. Both fanbases and teams should be taking this game very seriously.

Saints fan here.......been lurking on your board all week. I've noticed that this is one of the more respectful message boards on the web, and I'm really enjoying a lot of the game analysis, and good-natured smack talking.

Simply put, you guys should consider it a sign of respect that we are taking this game so seriously. This should not be something to complain about.

While our team has been filled with lots of potential since 2006, a year that we achieved some success, this is the first season where the majority of our players are living up to and exceeding their potential.

We are not used to being 10-0. The fans are ecstatic. Now, a Pats team that went 16-0 two seasons ago, who is still a very dangerous super bowl contender, is coming into the dome to attempt to ruin our threat of a perfect season, and possibly hurt our chances at home-field advantage. (remember, the Vikings are 9-1. We have our division wrapped up....the race for home-field is the real race to watch for us Saints fans)

I'm sure you guys had some attitude when you were 10-0. We are the same way. Many Saints fans have supported the team through a lot of terrible seasons, and more recently have had to endure a lot of very talented 8-8 teams that couldn't ever put it together when it counted. We're proud of this team.

We might see your team twice this season. Here's to an injury-free, exciting Monday Night classic!

Last edited:
Saints fan here.......been lurking on your board all week. I've noticed that this is one of the more respectful message boards on the web, and I'm really enjoying a lot of the game analysis, and good-natured smack talking.

Simply put, you guys should consider it a sign of respect that we are taking this game so seriously. This should not be something to complain about.

While our team has been filled with lots of potential since 2006, a year that we achieved some success, this is the first season where the majority of our players are living up to and exceeding their potential.

We are not used to being 10-0. The fans are ecstatic. Now, a Pats team that went 16-0 two seasons ago, who is still a very dangerous super bowl contender, is coming into the dome to attempt to ruin our threat of a perfect season, and possibly hurt our chances at home-field advantage. (remember, the Vikings are 9-1. We have our division wrapped up....the race for home-field is the real race to watch for us Saints fans)

I'm sure you guys had some attitude when you were 10-0. We are the same way. Many Saints fans have supported the team through a lot of terrible seasons, and more recently have had to endure a lot of very talented 8-8 teams that couldn't ever put it together when it counted. We're proud of this team.

We might see your team twice this season. Here's to an injury-free, exciting Monday Night classic!

Well, said............ I'd rather face you guys in the SB then the Vikings ;)

Good luck the rest of the way, after your loss this weekend of course. Trust us, you'll come to thank us later that whole undefeated thing is not nearly what it's cracked up to be... Everygame becomes maddening down the stretch. You live and die 10 times in each game. Uggggghhhh, I loved and hated that part.

Here's to an injury free game. I think it will be "as advertised".

Well put, very reasonable.

Pats fans are getting too offended by Saints fans taking this game so seriously. If they weren't, that would mean the Patriots suck. They are going to show up big time for their team on Monday and the crowd will be a huge factor (yes, the Pats are used to this in Indy and such, but that doesn't mean it isn't a factor!).

I'm very nervous about this game, not because of their fans, but because of their team. They are playing great, no major injury problems, and we are just getting back to our true form after Brady's injury. I think NO is better than Indy, so expect NO to beat us, frankly. That said, I desperately hope that the Pats win it, upset NO, and bring us the scalp of one of the best teams in the league.

Imagine if the Pats were 10-0 in 1999 with Bledsoe, and Pittsburgh or Dallas were coming to Foxboro. We would have been going insane the same way. It is an ultimately respectful move when teams treat the Patriots as their Super Bowl. Drew Brees has been a class act all week handling the hype, not talking a bunch of stupid smack (very smart by the way there is probably no better way to get the Pats going than to talk smack and put them into the underdog role).

This week, the Patriots are the underdog. We are supposed to lose. The Saints have everything to lose this week, if the Patriots lose then we are still at the top of our division and we will have had great experience playing the two best teams in the league in the Colts and NO.

No excuses though. If we win, I don't want any whiners coming here talking about the refs.

As a Pats fan since the 70s, I am very comfortable being in the underdog role. 2007 was weird, a lot of latte-sipping pink hat wearing text-messaging spoiled brats suddenly became interested in going to Patriots games. I'm glad they are less likely to go to games now, as we need the fans from the dregs of hell, the screamers, the fat guys with paint on their faces. The guys who cheered for Plunkett and Grogan. Hell yeah.

Last edited:
The saints have little at stake except
1) possibly in which dome they play the championship game
2) whether they get so focused on an unbeated season that they fail to understand that the season is about the playoffs and the Super Bowl

Personally, I think it would be better for saints organization if they lost this game.
=======================================

With regard to the patriots, this game is important. We would like to avoid playing agains Miami for the division lead. Of course, we will take of business against Miami (the H-U-G-E game).

They should be taking it seriously. This is a big game for both teams. For the Saints, it's a measuring stick that will either give the team confidence to go deep into the playoffs or let them know that they are still lacking when it comes to competing with the upper eschelon teams. For the Pats it's big because, if we lose, we go into Miami next week with a team that started 0-3 that suddenly has a chance to draw even in the division. Both fanbases and teams should be taking this game very seriously.

2) whether they get so focused on an unbeated season that they fail to understand that the season is about the playoffs and the Super Bowl

Personally, I think it would be better for saints organization if they lost this game.

With regard to the patriots, this game is important. We would like to avoid playing agains Miami for the division lead. Of course, we will take of business against Miami (the H-U-G-E game).

Well, #1 is a very big deal.

We're historically terrible against the Vikings, and they win any tie-breaker against us for home field advantage.

Domes can be extremely loud - a major noise advantage for whoever hosts the NFC championship.

HFA is also on the line with the Vikings right on their tail. I forgot to mention that.

Totally agree. And while we Saints fans are very excited for this game , the truth of the matter is that out of the 6 games we have left , this one is the LEAST important when it comes down to it. HOWEVER , we know we have a good team, But, although we won't admit it, we don't know HOW good we really are. I mean lets be honest , in retrospect, the best teams we've faced this year is apparently Philadelphia and the Giants. And neither of which have really beaten a good team(in my opinion), nor have they exactly been consistent or really impressed anyone.
So while we as Saints fans and you as Pat fans realize this game isn't really that important in the GRAND SCHEME , us saints fans are really excited to be facing a No-Doubt, As advertised , legitimate football team. I know we are 10-0 but i don't really feel like we've had "That" game yet that we can hang our hats on. We just wanna see what we really are.
So yeah , we're excited and we have our reasons for being so.

Meh. You can twist scheduling numbers to look however you want.

For example, that site says the Pats have faced only two quality opponents, but what is the combined record of the teams the Pats have faced at the time they faced them?

Buffalo 0-0
Jets 1-0
Falcons 2-0
Ravens 3-0
Broncos 4-0
Titans 0-5
Bucs 0-6
Dolphins 3-4
Indy 8-0
Jets 4-5
Saints 10-0

Combined Record - 35-20, not too shabby, eh?

Why are you counting the Saints' record already in SOS??

Well, #1 is a very big deal.

We're historically terrible against the Vikings, and they win any tie-breaker against us for home field advantage.

Domes can be extremely loud - a major noise advantage for whoever hosts the NFC championship.
Why would the Vikings win any tiebreaker with the Saints? If the Saints lose to the Pats, Minnesota and New Orleans would have identical records and identical conference records, correct? Wouldn't it come down to point differential or strength of victory (I forget which one) to determine playoff seeding? If that is the case, it's still way too soon to figure out which team would win that tiebreaker.

Totally agree. And while we Saints fans are very excited for this game , the truth of the matter is that out of the 6 games we have left , this one is the LEAST important when it comes down to it. HOWEVER , we know we have a good team, But, although we won't admit it, we don't know HOW good we really are. I mean lets be honest , in retrospect, the best teams we've faced this year is apparently Philadelphia and the Giants. And neither of which have really beaten a good team(in my opinion), nor have they exactly been consistent or really impressed anyone.
So while we as Saints fans and you as Pat fans realize this game isn't really that important in the GRAND SCHEME , us saints fans are really excited to be facing a No-Doubt, As advertised , legitimate football team. I know we are 10-0 but i don't really feel like we've had "That" game yet that we can hang our hats on. We just wanna see what we really are.
So yeah , we're excited and we have our reasons for being so.
This is the type of post I like to see. As I have said before, I was at Tulane for 2 years before transferring and was there during the Hurricane and afterwards. The city is like none other, and they really rallied around that football team. They are the team I root for in the NFC. However, I still say that if they play the Patriots, I hope the Pats will kill them.

With that being said, I think it will be a close game, and I think the success (and failures) of the Pats the last 10 years have made the fans much more reasonable then most. I guess reasonableness can be said to be a learned trait by a fan base (on both sides of the spectrum in regards to a winning and losing team). I understand that Saints fans are excited, but a little perspective would be nice from some of them

Why would the Vikings win any tiebreaker with the Saints? If the Saints lose to the Pats, Minnesota and New Orleans would have identical records and identical conference records, correct? Wouldn't it come down to point differential or strength of victory (I forget which one) to determine playoff seeding? If that is the case, it's still way too soon to figure out which team would win that tiebreaker.

I'm pretty sure it's strength of schedule, or record of teams that you won against. Either way, Minnesota would definitely have the upper hand, as we've beaten a few teams with awful records. (rams, tampa, detroit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes