PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Seymour Trade Not A Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the chances of Seymour not becoming a Raider are actually fairly low. Seymour has always wanted to get paid top dollar, and holding out a few days should get him a nice fat contract. It's to Oakland's advantage to sign him to a long term deal too, as he otherwise would not be likely to stay beyond 2009.

Rumors are a 3 year contract extension is in the works that would make Seymour one of the highest paid DEs in the game:

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2009/09/08/raiders-working-on-long-term-deal-with-seymour/

I suspect that you are correct with regard to Seymour becoming a raider. Seymour will either get a 1-year contract at current rates with no 2010 franchise or a 3-year contract with no franchise in the 4th for a king's ransom, enough to make him the top paid DL in the league. The three year deal might be attractive to Seymour who would then be able to get yet another top deal if he stays productive for three years.

In any case, Seymour will be just fine. And the patriots get what they wanted: to unload one of their top players in their last year in trade for a future draft pick.

I think the chances of Seymour not becoming a Raider are actually fairly low. Seymour has always wanted to get paid top dollar, and holding out a few days should get him a nice fat contract. It's to Oakland's advantage to sign him to a long term deal too, as he otherwise would not be likely to stay beyond 2009.

Rumors are a 3 year contract extension is in the works that would make Seymour one of the highest paid DEs in the game:

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2009/09/08/raiders-working-on-long-term-deal-with-seymour/

Last edited:
I suspect that you are correct with regard to Seymour becoming a raider. Seymour will either get a 1-year contract at current rates with no 2010 franchise or a 3-year contract with no franchise in the 4th for a king's ransom, enough to make him the top paid DL in the league. The three year deal might be attractive to Seymour who would then be able to get yet another top deal if he stays productive for three years.

In any case, Seymour will be just fine. And the patriots get what they wanted: to unload one of their top players in their last year in trade for a future draft pick.

I'm happy for Sey to get that big payday. He's a class act on and off the field. He's dealt with some horrific personal/family issues with grace and dignity. While not the 2001-2005 Seymour, he is still an excellent player.

The Patriots, in my opinion (my opinion -I do not have the complete certitude of a Deus Irae), win big with this move also. I see it as a great win-win for both Richard and the Patriots. The Raiders, on the other hand, may have some competency hearings/ownership struggles coming out of this.

Last edited:
I'm happy for Sey to get that big payday. He's a class act on and off the field. He's dealt with some horrific personal/family issues with grace and dignity. While not the 2001-2005 Seymour, he is still an excellent player.

The Patriots, in my opinion (my opinion -I do not have the complete certitude of a Deus Irae), win big with this move also. I see it as a great win-win for both Richard and the Patriots. The Raiders, on the other hand, may have some competency hearings/ownership struggles coming out of this.

Funny, I don't recall having complete certitude. I think it's great that you, as a mod, should be singling out other posters in a semi-passive swipe like this, though.

That's just class!

As long as we win the Super Bowl this season, this will be great win for the patriots. Otherwise, we will always wonder what might have been.

As long as we win the Super Bowl this season, this will be great win for the patriots. Otherwise, we will always wonder what might have been.

Amen.

There are risks to every move, no doubt.

Of course the Pats are weaker for the time being without Seymour (and without compensation at the moment). No doubt about it. He's an excellent player and, from what I've seen, an even better person.

It was a choice. Life is full of choices. Whether it was the right one or the wrong one, we really won't know for quite a while. What strikes me is that, for the Patriots, this was a choice made not out of desperation, while the same cannot be said for Mr. Davis.

Last edited:
So, has there been a consensus on whether the it is a done deal or not?

It seems to me the league thinks it is a done deal, because the Patriots now have 53 players without Seymour (signing Simmons to take the spot freed up). Also, the Raiders released William Joseph to free up room for Big Sey, so one would think he is on their official roster.

Who should I have more emphathy for? Davis made this trade out of desparation. Belichick didn't have to consciously made the 2009 team weaker. In the end, I can understand what Davis did better, especially if he signs Seymour to a 3-year deal.

I guess I should be happy that Belichick wasn't able to trade both Seymour and Wilfork for valuable future draft choices.

Amen.

There are risks to every move, no doubt.

Of course the Pats are weaker for the time being without Seymour (and without compensation at the moment). No doubt about it.

It was a choice. Life is full of choices. Whether it was the right one ofr the wrong one, we really won't know for quite a while. What strikes me is that, for the Patriots, this was a choice made not out of desperation, while that cannot be said for Mr. Davis.

Who should I have more emphathy for? Davis made this trade out of desparation. Belichick didn't have to consciously made the 2009 team weaker. In the end, I can understand what Davis did better, especially if he signs Seymour to a 3-year deal.

I guess I should be happy that Belichick wasn't able to trade both Seymour and Wilfork for valuable future draft choices.

"Empathy"? Not sure about how that comes into play, but I'll usually have more confidence in the poker player who holds all the cards versus the one with the weaker hand.

I've given you my reasons why I like the move (which I hope actually gets completed).

MG, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the subject.

Last edited:
I also have the most confidence with the player with all the cards. It is always surprising when he unneccessarily risks failure.

But yes, we can agree to diagree.

"Empathy"? Not sure about how that comes into play, but I'll usually have more confidence in the poker player who holds all the cards versus the one with the weaker hand.

I've given you my reasons why I like the move (which I hope actually gets completed).

MG, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the subject.

Big Sey Is Not On EITHER Roster

So, has there been a consensus on whether the it is a done deal or not?

It seems to me the league thinks it is a done deal, because the Patriots now have 53 players without Seymour (signing Simmons to take the spot freed up). Also, the Raiders released William Joseph to free up room for Big Sey, so one would think he is on their official roster.

As of 4 pm Tuesday, Richard Seymour appears on neither team's roster.

Re: Big Sey Is Not On EITHER Roster

Schefter updates: http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Raiders restructed contracts of OL Cornell Green and Paul McQuistan to free up cap space for Richard Seymour - but no signs of him in Oak.

At this time, Seymour's options are to report to Oakland or to sit out. Sounds like New England is out of this, with Oak's 2011 1st rd pick.

Wow so at this point it's unlikely Oakland can do anything to back out of the deal? What a weird story.

God damnnit. Duped agian by that meddling Bill Belichick :singing:

al_davis_crypt_keeper_618_2.jpg

One has to wonder how often one can go to that well ;)

Last edited:

Wow so at this point it's unlikely Oakland can do anything to back out of the deal? What a weird story.

I think the trade can still be rescinded if Sey doesn't report. Not a pleasant scenario for the Patriots.

It's better for Oakland to have the deal official so it's two parties, them and Seymour. If he doesn't report he can get the 5 day letter and have no realistic choice. If the Patriots were still involved it would make a 3rd party involved and make it more complicated.

Oakland is fine, they have Seymour, they can Franchise him next year and he can't sit out without costing himself a lot of dollars, especially this first year.

It's better for Oakland to have the deal official so it's two parties, them and Seymour. If he doesn't report he can get the 5 day letter and have no realistic choice. If the Patriots were still involved it would make a 3rd party involved and make it more complicated.

Oakland is fine, they have Seymour, they can Franchise him next year and he can't sit out without costing himself a lot of dollars, especially this first year.

well..until he reports and takes a physical..is he still a property of the raiders ?

I think the trade can still be rescinded if Sey doesn't report. Not a pleasant scenario for the Patriots.
It's not a big deal for the Patriots, he's gone from the team regardless and they can still trade him for decent value in the unlikely scenario that the trade doesn't go through.

nothing......he either goes to oakland or he gets a letter placing him on the reserved/retired list.There's no way he can get to free agency.Even if he goes to the raiders,they can franchise him.

as another poster reported,the raiders have restructured 2 contracts in anticipation of making an extension for Seymour.

In my mind.....the thing that started this whole thing is that Seymour's agent told that pats....no hometown discount,I want close to what Julius Peppers got.

That would have ended the negotiations and put in motion this whole scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3