PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Way We Hear It - NFL Whispers

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding seymour, wilfork, and mankins......the pats are 67M under the cap.........if they want em, they will resign them..........they are in great shape cap-wise

New version of The Way We Hear It out today (4/8):

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

Some interesting tidbits:

- The presence of 2 "Belichick disciples" drafting in the top 5 is clouding the pre-draft assessment of what will happen, since both Mangini and Pioli are keeping things close-lipped.
- Though Aaron Curry to KC is the popular choice, KC may well go OL at #3.
- Mangini is said the be very intrigued with Brian Orapko at #5.
- All 3 1st round QBs are likely to go top 15, with a trade up for Josh Freeman quite possible.

- Though Aaron Curry to KC is the popular choice, KC may well go OL at #3.
I'd look at an OL if I were KC too, Cassel's pocket presence got better but he's still skittish back there IMO and while the Chiefs have decent weapons, without Moss and Welker he will need solid protection back there. Jason Smith (or Monroe) to go with Albert from last year would help him a lot.

I know Lombardi said that, but Al Davis and "thought process" is something of an oxymoron. Mayock thinks Al Davis could well take a WR. Who knows what Crazy Al will do.

... Al Davis has thoughts???? ...:eek:

This reminds me... what happened to Dre Bly after he was cut? I can't believe there was no interest in him from any team

regarding seymour, wilfork, and mankins......the pats are 67M under the cap.........if they want em, they will resign them..........they are in great shape cap-wise

Except for the fact that they only have half a roster (~26) signed for 2010.

The cap number is irrelevant, since there will be no cap under which to fit them. If Bob Kraft wants to spend the cash it will take, they will resign them. And they probably should, since, assuming they make the playoffs, there will be restrictions in signing outside FAs.

We've acquired lots and lots of players so far this year. Which have been "outside free agents" as defined by the CBA? I think much too much is made of the inability to sign outside free agents.

The cap number is irrelevant, since there will be no cap under which to fit them. If Bob Kraft wants to spend the cash it will take, they will resign them. And they probably should, since, assuming they make the playoffs, there will be restrictions in signing outside FAs.

- The presence of 2 "Belichick disciples" drafting in the top 5 is clouding the pre-draft assessment of what will happen, since both Mangini and Pioli are keeping things close-lipped.

One of the other deleterious side-effects of this team's success is that not only do we lose coaches, they all want to draft our type of player.

- Mangini is said the be very intrigued with Brian Orapko at #5.

Gholston part II? He seems so boom or bust.

- All 3 1st round QBs are likely to go top 15, with a trade up for Josh Freeman quite possible.

Overpaying. But if it drops good players our way, then it's great.

We've acquired lots and lots of players so far this year. Which have been "outside free agents" as defined by the CBA? I think much too much is made of the inability to sign outside free agents.

I'm talking about next season in an uncapped year. The final four teams will not be able to sign an outside FA (not a re-signing) until it loses an equivalent one off its roster. There are financial implications as to the other teams that finish 5-8...something like a max contract you can sign a FA to.

This offseason is business as usual. Next year at this time it will be very, very different. I kind of look forward to see the strategy BB unveils.

Except for the fact that they only have half a roster (~26) signed for 2010.

The 67 million doesn't matter. 2010 stands to be an uncapped year. As it stands, the Pats will have 12 RFAs and 2 ERFAs, bringing the total to 40. And you can figure on 5-8 rookeis from this year as well, so that would be 45-48 players.

Now, with a salary cap, its a different situation. The RFAs drop to 1 and 2 ERFAs. But then the Pats would have the some about 50 million to use (yes, I foresee a drop in the salary cap).. The Pats would use about 30 million during the extended re-signing period prior to free agency to re-sign Wilfork, Mankins, Gostkowski, Kaczur, Green and Hobbs. That would still leave 20 million to fill out the roster. And when you look at the roster, you'd see that many of the positions are the reserve positions that would need to be filled. Positions that the Pats regularly use for rookies or vets signed to the Veteran minimum.

Teams who make the playoffs in a year prior to an uncapped year are limited to the number of outside free agents (probably the same rules apply as they do to the comp picks). I don't believe they are limited in signing the number of players who were cut by other teams.

Yes, the Patriots have done extremely well this year bringing in those types of players, but who knows what will be available next year.

If your "pulsating uncertainty" last for more than 4 hours, you need to contact your doctor.

Brilliant! (ROFL)

But by getting the joke, I am certainly showing my age. These young whipper-snappers on the forum wouldn't have any use for the stuff. :confused:

I'll try again. Please name two free agents that we signed this year that we would not be able to sign next year under the 2010 rules. We will NOT limited in our ability to re-sign our own or in the ability to re-sign our own nor in our ability to cut players from other teams.

Also, I don't see Kraft changing the value he places on players and positions. I think it quite pssible that others will be willing to may more for such players as Seymour and Green. Wilfork is the only player I can see "breaking the bank" to keep. For Kraft, football is a business, even in an uncapped year.

The biggest effect will NOT be the inability to sign the free agents of other teams. The biggest effect will be the RFA status of Mankins, Kaczur, Gostkowski and Hobbs. With other teams required to send us a 1st and a 3rd, and us still ahving the ability to match, we should be able to keep the players or use the 1st and 3rd compensation to draft a reasonable replacement.

I'm talking about next season in an uncapped year. The final four teams will not be able to sign an outside FA (not a re-signing) until it loses an equivalent one off its roster. There are financial implications as to the other teams that finish 5-8...something like a max contract you can sign a FA to.

This offseason is business as usual. Next year at this time it will be very, very different. I kind of look forward to see the strategy BB unveils.

I'll try again. Please name two free agents that we signed this year that we would not be able to sign next year under the 2010 rules. We will NOT limited in our ability to re-sign our own or in the ability to re-sign our own nor in our ability to cut players from other teams.

I'm not sure there is a differeniation between free agent because of expiring contract of free agent because of terminated contract. If there is, then you're correct. It wouldn't have mattered this year. However, with so many players set to hit FA next year, I can't say that next year will be the same. Karlos Dansby comes quickly to mind.

The biggest effect will NOT be the inability to sign the free agents of other teams. The biggest effect will be the RFA status of Mankins, Kaczur, Gostkowski and Hobbs. With other teams required to send us a 1st and a 3rd, and us still ahving the ability to match, we should be able to keep the players or use the 1st and 3rd compensation to draft a reasonable replacement.

Agreed. AND the use of an additional transition tag. AND the lack of a salary floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back