PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Multiple reports today that Belichick either doesn't want to or isn't expected to trade Mallett. I'm going to read way too much into that and say that he's not going for less than a first. This screams "leverage" to me.

He's waiting until Matt Cassel doesn't have a chance in Phoenix. Then, maybe...:cool:

Re: Re: Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

He's waiting until Matt Cassel doesn't have a chance in Phoenix. Then, maybe...:cool:

The last shoe that needs to drop is Carson Palmer getting released by Oakand allowing Az to sign him.

As soon as KC signs a big ticket FA ..Cassell should be gone.

I think Minny might show interest in Casell but we should be good.

This is developing into a perfect storm for the pats to extract max value out of Mallett.

One thing I haven't seen anyone suggest is draft picks + a player from the Browns for Mallett. Would Greg Little + a 4th be worth Mallett?

The new regime in Cleveland didn't draft Little and Josh Gordon is the #1 there now. Cleveland has the Cap space to go after one of the FA WR's or could get someone like Patterson at 6th if they wanted to.

Just a thought.

One thing I haven't seen anyone suggest is draft picks + a player from the Browns for Mallett. Would Greg Little + a 4th be worth Mallett?

Entertaining idea. Little would be a replacement for Lloyd if they go that route. Somewhat disappointing career thus far but he has played with less than stellar QB's. Does have some nice size at 6-2 220 and is only 23 playing under a rookie contract. Brady could do wonders for the kid.

Getting them to throw in that 4th would definitely make it interesting.

The new regime in Cleveland didn't draft Little and Josh Gordon is the #1 there now. Cleveland has the Cap space to go after one of the FA WR's or could get someone like Patterson at 6th if they wanted to.

Just a thought.
The Pats may be very interested in trading their First round pick and Mallet for the Browns 6th pick. The one thing the Browns may be thinking heavily about is the amount of space between their 1st pick (#6) and their second pick which is in the 3rd round (#6). Pats have two advantages. The quarterbacks available in Free agents and the draft itself is poor which increases Mallet's value.

The Pats may be very interested in trading their First round pick and Mallet for the Browns 6th pick and a third. The one thing the Browns may be thinking heavily about is the amount of space between their 1st pick (#6) and and which is 3rd round (#6). Pats have two advantages. The FA quarterbacks available and what is available in the draft itself is poor which increases Mallet's value..

Even if they kept the #6 pick, it worked out pretty well the last time they had #6, some guy named Seymour.......

The Pats may be very interested in trading their First round pick and Mallet for the Browns 6th pick. The one thing the Browns may be thinking heavily about is the amount of space between their 1st pick (#6) and their second pick which is in the 3rd round (#6). Pats have two advantages. The quarterbacks available in Free agents and the draft itself is poor which increases Mallet's value.

The Browns could also sell this easier to their fans with the equal talent and depth in this draft. With the Browns without a 2nd, it makes more sense, but its not without its holes.

The Browns could also sell this easier to their fans with the equal talent and depth in this draft. With the Browns without a 2nd, it makes more sense, but its not without its holes.

Well if the Browns also get the Pats 1st round pick, then they can sell it as a 'trade down' while getting a needed QB.

If the Pats made this move, say on draft day, I would expect its because they love Ziggy Ansah. He reminds me of a young Willie McGinest. Might be the piece we need to take this defense over the top.

ansah or star at 6 or a trade down i would think

Re: Re: Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Well if the Browns also get the Pats 1st round pick, then they can sell it as a 'trade down' while getting a needed QB.

If the Pats made this move, say on draft day, I would expect its because they love Ziggy Ansah. He reminds me of a young Willie McGinest. Might be the piece we need to take this defense over the top.

I think a likely scenario would be the browns 3rd round pick and high conditional 2014 pick..1st or 2nd

Or Lane Johnson who is perfect for the type of OT the Pats like. But Ziggy would be my #1 choice too.

I don't see Ziggy getting past the Lions at #5.

I think you guys are still living in a delusional state with these scenarios that net the Pats the #6 pick or even high 2nds. Think of it from a Browns fan's perspective. How would you feel if your team just gave up a high draft pick for a 3rd year QB who hasn't played a significant snap in an NFL regular season game, and who, when he DID get to play in the pre-season, could manage only a 49% completion rate.

I understand why they'd be interested in Mallett, and they should be. I was the one who felt the Browns would have been much better off trading for Mallett last season as opposed to Weedon. However there is no way that the Browns would give up a first OR a 2nd for Mallet this season. How could they justify it to their fans, let alone their FO.

No, the only way a trade happens between the Pats and Browns for Mallett would be if he were traded for a low round pick this season (5th or 6th) and a conditional pick next season that COULD end up somewhere between a 1st and 4th, depending on how well he does. With a 2nd being most likely if he wound up being a starter on a non-playoff team.

Believe me I'd love to see the Pats wind up with that #6 pick and get one of the top defensive players available, but then I wake up. Dreamtime is over,.

Any team that works on the basis of selling something to the fans would be stupid enough to give up the #6 pick. Sports fans are the dumbest people on the planet (present company excepted of course) and should be the last consideration when planning a roster.

And anyway, I don't think anyone is seriously contemplating it, they're just contemplating an hypothesis.

The only thing Lombardi can sell Browns fans on is winning. It doesn't matter if he gives away a 1st for Mallett, a 7th for Mallett or sticks with Weeden/McCoy, if he doesn't win he won't have a job. So it comes down to what he thinks is the best option to win. I'm not saying that the chances of getting the #6 pick are good (its probably pretty slim), but I don't think its out of the question that Lombardi will pay a good price for Mallett. We know (or at least think) Lombardi thinks very highly of Mallett, doesn't think very highly of Brandon Weeden and likely ranks Mallett at or near the top of the QB rankings for this draft. Add in his connection with BB (I think Lombardi would buy anything Bill is selling) and it makes a lot of sense to make a deal.

If he is so concerned about the fans opinion, I think he would have a much better shot at selling his fans on a guy he loved 2 years ago, thought was the top QB in a stronger draft, was drafted and developed under BB and Tom Brady, has two years experience in an NFL system and BB loved him so much it took a big haul to get their guy. From his perspective it won't matter if that move fails or going with Weeden fails, either way he won't get another GM job again. Now its also possible that Lombardi was just helping his friend Bill when he said all of those things about Mallett (and Hoyer) when he was with the NFL Network, and he may not actually have any interest. But if he really does think Mallett is his best option to win early I think he makes the move, he doesn't have a whole lot to lose because I think he will be under pressure early.

This may be the ideal time to trade Mallett. Lombardi wants him as
competition for Weeden and might offer a third and sixth round pick
Lombardi may the the only suitor for Mallett.

The Patriots could make a pitch for Brady Quinn as backup. McDaniels and Daboll are familar with Quinn. `

The Patriots could make a pitch for Brady Quinn as backup. McDaniels and Daboll are familar with Quinn. `

He's more valuable to the Pats than a 3rd round pick. Not trading him unless we get a 2nd and conditional picks. Thanks for your interest. Let me know if you change your mind. Oh, good luck with Brandon Weeden:)

I'm not sure which half of your suggestion is the worse.

We control Mallet for two more years and BB is comfortable with him as the backup. Why would we trade him for low round picks and then try to find an equivalent backup.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back