PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

I say a Cleveland trade back to get a 2nd. Then, flip it to us for Mallett. If they did with Rams, to move from 6 to 20. Likely to get nearly as good a player there as 6.

Could work. I've got in mind a trade with Tampa Bay. There's been a fair bit of talk about Schiano wanting his own guy at QB, and at the very least, bringing in competition for Josh Freeman. So I could see the following happen potentially:

Bucs trade Freeman to a QB needy team. Based on what Alex Smith and Carson Palmer were valued at, the Bucs could get a reasonable haul.

Patriots trade Mallett to Bucs for a swap of seconds and that Talib pick back. That's the value chart equivalent of a high third round pick so not overly pricey for the Bucs and although the Pats are in effect getting back what they gave up for Mallett, the improved second round position actually works out better than just having a third rounder for him.

Also, as the Bucs would likely get more for trading Freeman than what they give us for Mallett, they'd finish ahead too. Win-win.

So Belichick drafted Mallet in the 3rd round and developed him so 2 years later he could trade him for a pick in the same round or lower? Okay...

Of course everyone of us would love to get a 1st for Mallett but...

Econ 101: It isn't about what the seller thinks a player is "worth". It's what a buyer will pay for him.

BB has cut 2nd and 3rd round players a few years after drafting them. I don't think he has qualms about breaking even or losing a round or two on a player he took that he doesn't really need. It beats letting Mallett walk in free agency in a couple years and getting nothing for him.

Econ 101: It isn't about what the seller thinks a player is "worth". It's what a buyer will pay for him.

BB has cut 2nd and 3rd round players a few years after drafting them. I don't think he has qualms about breaking even or losing a round or two on a player he took that he doesn't really need. It beats letting Mallett walk in free agency in a couple years and getting nothing for him.

Not if he is a very good QB and is worth more to the team as the number 1 backup then a 3rd rounder.

Econ 101: It isn't about what the seller thinks a player is "worth".

It's what a buyer will pay for him.

BB has cut 2nd and 3rd round players a few years after drafting them.

I don't think he has qualms about breaking even or losing a round or two on a player he took that he doesn't really need. It beats letting Mallett walk in free agency in a couple years and getting nothing for him.

Thank you.

It is absurd to suggest that what we can get for a Player has anything to do with where we drafted'm.

...And yet people keep insisting that that has anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

Could work. I've got in mind a trade with Tampa Bay. There's been a fair bit of talk about Schiano wanting his own guy at QB, and at the very least, bringing in competition for Josh Freeman. So I could see the following happen potentially:

Bucs trade Freeman to a QB needy team. Based on what Alex Smith and Carson Palmer were valued at, the Bucs could get a reasonable haul.

Patriots trade Mallett to Bucs for a swap of seconds and that Talib pick back. That's the value chart equivalent of a high third round pick so not overly pricey for the Bucs and although the Pats are in effect getting back what they gave up for Mallett, the improved second round position actually works out better than just having a third rounder for him.

Also, as the Bucs would likely get more for trading Freeman than what they give us for Mallett, they'd finish ahead too. Win-win.

And in the process creating a hole at backup QB for the Pats. This move helps Tampa but a swap of 2nd rounders is not worth it for us.

And in the process creating a hole at backup QB for the Pats. This move helps Tampa but a swap of 2nd rounders is not worth it for us.

We should likely be able to resign Cassel and/or Hoyer as a backup.

Ryan Mallett may not have any value now, but, if the Matt Flynn rule still applies, NFL experience can be defined as a spot start in which you happen to face a god awful pass defense or two. It doesn't matter how pretty the notch, as long as it's a notch on his belt.

Consider this: we go into December of 2013 12-0, and Mallett gets a few starts on prime time to get GM's drooling. :D

:bricks:

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned, but I read a report that offered a trade that finally made so realistic sense to me, In essence it would be a 2 pronged trade.

The Browns would send the Pats a lower round pick this season (say a 5th or 6th) for Ryan Mallet and a more worthy pick that would range from a 2nd to 4th depending on playing time, in 2014) Lombardi would be able to sell the low pick this season to his fans, and the better he works out for the Browns, the better the Pats pick would be in the next draft. Say going as high as a first if Mallett leads them to the playoffs.

All those trades netting the Pats a first or 2nd this draft are just ridiculous. No GM could sell that to his owner and fans for a QB who has literally no regular season tape in 2 years. However change that to what would be at worst a 6th now and a 4th in 2014 and it would work. Plus if Mallett is as good as we think/hope, THEN the Pats would net the high pick that makes his original selection make sense.

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned, but I read a report that offered a trade that finally made so realistic sense to me, In essence it would be a 2 pronged trade.

The Browns would send the Pats a lower round pick this season (say a 5th or 6th) for Ryan Mallet and a more worthy pick that would range from a 2nd to 4th depending on playing time, in 2014) Lombardi would be able to sell the low pick this season to his fans, and the better he works out for the Browns, the better the Pats pick would be in the next draft. Say going as high as a first if Mallett leads them to the playoffs.

All those trades netting the Pats a first or 2nd this draft are just ridiculous. No GM could sell that to his owner and fans for a QB who has literally no regular season tape in 2 years. However change that to what would be at worst a 6th now and a 4th in 2014 and it would work. Plus if Mallett is as good as we think/hope, THEN the Pats would net the high pick that makes his original selection make sense.

Not giving up my back-up qb on a cheap contract for 6. He's more valuable to us than that. If the 2014 is a 1st, I'd listen. Let's say provided he starts 12+ games.

Not giving up my back-up qb on a cheap contract for 6. He's more valuable to us than that. If the 2014 is a 1st, I'd listen. Let's say provided he starts 12+ games.
Its not just a 6th, its a 6th and 4th the next season that could go as high as a first, but most likely a 2nd if he's their starter for the year.

I will begin by stating I have not read the many posts in this thread. I like Mallett and hope he succeeds here, but I like his successor at Arkansas to be a Patriot even more. Tyler Wilson has the potential to be a stud - and he was better than Mallett with the same WR's at Arkansas. Wilson can run - very mobile - and he can improvise with the best of them (much like a young Brett Favre at times). The most impressive thing about Wilson? TOUGH as nails. The kid gets pounded and still makes the throws needed to win games - look at film from his 2011 campaign (especially the Alabama game - and he continued to be punished like that while throwing for 300+ consistently) - 2012 was good, but he had NO line and nowhere near the WR's he had in 2011. I may be going out on a limb, but Wilson is the dark horse QB of the draft and I would gladly give up Mallett to get Wilson - he is very much in the mold of Aaron Rogers. Tyler Wilson, in the right system, will be a pleasant surprise for some team - I want it to be the Pats.

Last edited:

]All those trades netting the Pats a first or 2nd this draft are just ridiculous. No GM could sell that to his owner and fans for a QB who has literally no regular season tape in 2 years. However change that to what would be at worst a 6th now and a 4th in 2014 and it would work. Plus if Mallett is as good as we think/hope, THEN the Pats would net the high pick that makes his original selection make sense.

he Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers have completed a trade that sends third-string Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle for draft picks.

The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

That's similar to the trade I suggested up thread with the Bucs. I suggested an additional 4th but a 3rd would work just as well. Interestingly, that was in a weak QB year where only Bradford, Tebow and Claussen went in the first two rounds.

Whitehurst, a restricted free agent with third-round compensation, has had only four NFL snaps and has not thrown a pass in a regular-season game.

Whitehurst was a third string QB and a RFA. Mallett on the other hand has two years left on his contract and is a measurably better QB prospect than Whitehurst.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5005254

I will begin by stating I have not read the many posts in this thread. I like Mallett and hope he succeeds here, but I like his successor at Arkansas to be a Patriot even more. Tyler Wilson has the potential to be a stud - and he was better than Mallett with the same WR's at Arkansas. Wilson can run - very mobile - and he can improvise with the best of them (much like a young Brett Favre at times). The most impressive thing about Wilson? TOUGH as nails. The kid gets pounded and still makes the throws needed to win games - look at film from his 2011 campaign (especially the Alabama game - and he continued to be punished like that while throwing for 300+ consistently) - 2012 was good, but he had NO line and nowhere near the WR's he had in 2011. I may be going out on a limb, but Wilson is the dark horse QB of the draft and I would gladly give up Mallett to get Wilson - he is very much in the mold of Aaron Rogers. Tyler Wilson, in the right system, will be a pleasant surprise for some team - I want it to be the Pats.

Better, based on what? Wilson's passer rating in 2011 was 148.4 when he had those good receivers. Malletts in 2010 was 163.6 and was 152.5 in 2009.

Its not just a 6th, its a 6th and 4th the next season that could go as high as a first, but most likely a 2nd if he's their starter for the year.

But why stop there? Let's trade Chandler Jones for a 4th round pick. Then trade Hightower for a 5th. And top it off with trading Mallet for a 6th! Wow, we got us a lot of draft picks to play with now! Oh baby! Great idea!

But why stop there? Let's trade Chandler Jones for a 4th round pick. Then trade Hightower for a 5th. And top it off with trading Mallet for a 6th! Wow, we got us a lot of draft picks to play with now! Oh baby! Great idea!

That is a ludicrous response to a reasonable prpposal. It makes so Little sense I'm embarrassed that I eveni responded. If you are equating the value of Mallett with Hightower and Jones, then I have vastly over rated your football IQ for many years.

Clearly you have an issue with my trade proposal, I'm just not sure what it is. Please elaborate

With Matt Moore signing a new contract with the Dolphins and Brian Hoyer getting a 2nd round tender, the market for QB's for teams unexcited by the draft class narrows further.

Mallett and the 29th for the 6th overall pick? Take CB from Alabama

Multiple reports today that Belichick either doesn't want to or isn't expected to trade Mallett. I'm going to read way too much into that and say that he's not going for less than a first. This screams "leverage" to me.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back