Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by NSPF, Jan 18, 2013.

1. NSPF

NSPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The word is that Mike Lombardi, the new vice president of player personnel for the Cleveland Browns, is very very high on Mallet, and that the asking price will be the "number 6 overall pick this year, plus more."

Could the Cleveland Browns Be in the Market for Ryan Mallett? | Bleacher Report
    Could Ryan Mallett become Browns' next QB? - ESPN
    Ryan Mallett will be the Browns’ starting quarterback in a few hours, right? | 100 Yards and Running | Blogs | theScore.com

It seems too good to be true, but the fact that this is even being brought up suggests that his trade value might be much higher than I previously thought.
  2. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Zero chance. doubt they would give a 3rd
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Joey007

Joey007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey
    Agree with Andy, it's probably not going to happen. But I know that every fan on this board would take that trade in a heartbeat, I would love that for sure.
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    That would be highway robbery of the Al Davis caliber. No way that's going to happen. I'd say a 3rd or 4th is about right.
  5. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So Belichick drafted Mallet in the 3rd round and developed him so 2 years later he could trade him for a pick in the same round or lower? Okay...
  6. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    How does Mallett's draft stock go down when he's been an understudy to potentially the greatest QB of all time, has untapped potential and this Quarterback class looks to be pathetic?
  7. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    Re: Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns *** 6th overall pick

You guys crack me up!! [​IMG]

1 ~ So I guess ~ based on your "logic" ~ that we were FOOLS to cut Ron Brace loose when we should've traded'm *** a 2nd Round at the very minimum!! [​IMG]

2 ~ Taylor Price was worth at least a 3rd Rounder!! How could we be so stupid as to just cut'm?? [​IMG]

3 ~ News Alert, boys: What we spent on a guy has very little to do with what we can get ***'m!!
  8. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    WTF??? [​IMG]

When the #$%& has "for" become a "***" curse??? [​IMG]
  9. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Chance Warmack come on down!! Our next HOF guard from Alabama. I'd be tempted to go DL, but the top 3 will prob be gone; D. Moore, S.Lotulelei and Werner. Jarvis Jones iffy physical. Gimme the big boy from Bama.
  10. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    Hell no. Trade back and grab another pick or two.. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats drafted a RT with the likelihood of Vollmer leaving via free agency..

And, I think you are severely discounted the OTs that are available.. Luke Joeckel being the big name..
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The only way cleveland would give the pats the six overall pick for mallet is if Mike Lynn or Mike Ditka was the GM.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  12. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think Joeckel will go 4th to Philly and Geno Smith 1st. Should have mentioned that. Doubt if anyone would want to trade up for what's left. I don't think the next two tackles are elite by any means; Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson. Milliner would be a possibility, if we let Talib walk. But, he's not guaranteed to be a sure thing. Warmack is multiple pro-bowler with a chance to be the best interior OL in the league.
  13. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think Warmack is a stud, but if the Pats had a top 6 pick they better take either Moore or Werner.
  14. manxman2601

manxman2601 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Surprised you didn't consider Star Lotulelei. He'd be at the top of my list of who I'd think they draft.

Just to note, if the Browns really do want him, BB's leverage is quite good as they're lacking a 2nd rounder. I'd be amazed at a #6 straight up, more likely a trade of firsts. Anyway, I'm sure this is fiction but it would be nice to see what BB would do with a #6 overall.
  15. Blackluck

Blackluck Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Mallett is as good or better than any QB in this draft. Browns still wouldn't trade their 1st or swap their 1st for him. But Mallett fits what their HC likes to do. I could see something like a 3 this year and a conditional pick next year of some kind. The only way Cleveland can upgrade their QB is draft one in the first (very unlikely), sign a FA - or do a trade - so some kind of trade for Mallett isn't impossible.
  16. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    Oh, man, if this freaky Trade for #6 actually happened, I would pigpile Picks like a mad man!! :rocker:
  17. stelfans

stelfans Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If they dont like Weeden(very likely, who likes the guy?) its a trade that makes sense. For the 6th overall? probably not. Too good to be true.

I'd be more than happy with a 2nd.
  18. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    And mine. But you don't seriously think he'd be available at #6 if the Draft were today, do you?

Even so...It's a long way to April 25th!! So we could always hope...:cool:
  19. EwanSellars

EwanSellars Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

maybe the 6 for mallett and 2014 3rd that would be more reasonable
  20. ahmed

ahmed Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If he were to make this trade, Lombardi would go down as the shortest gm stint in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  21. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't want to kill the messenger but no freakin way.

Maybe for a 3rd or 4th, even that would be questionable.
  22. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The trade is ridiculous. That goes without saying. But just for *****s and giggles, if the Pats had #6:

- Pats trade #6 to Chicago for #20 and #114
    - Pats trade #32 and #94 to Seattle for #25 and a 6th round pick
    - Pats trade #62 to Tennessee for #70 and #135
    - Pats sign Armon Armstead

20. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina (NFL DraftScout #17)
    25. Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia (NFL DraftScout #44)
    70. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (NFL DraftScout #71)
    114. Tharold Simon, DB, LSU (NFL DraftScout #110)
    135. Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio St. (NFL DraftScout #178)

That leaves the Pats with a 6th and 2 7th round picks to play around with for late round prospects. More importantly, it gives the Pats two 1st round picks for 2014. That could allow the Pats to possibly get a guy like Louis Nix, Stephon Tuitt, or Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
  23. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If you look back at my original post, I said that I thought; Moore, Lotelelei and Werner would be gone. Then added that Geno Smith and Joeckel would be the other two picked before 6. That's how I came to Warmack. Who is actually a better football player than anybody but Joeckel.
  24. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    :confused:

You do realize that I was responding to Manx, not to you, right? :confused:

Because your response, here, reads as if you thought I was addressing you.

And, yes: I'm pretty much in agreement with you about who'll be gone by #6. :)
  25. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Gotcha. I wouldn't be against trading down a little. Not too much though. Warmack is going to be a multiple times pro-bowler. Him and Cannon on the right side might allow us to have our best running game since that other guy from Bama was dominating dt's.

I think this talk about Cleveland interested in Mallett is great. Because, other teams interested don't know what's being offered. I personally feel Arizona is a better fit. New qb friendly coach in Arians whom is 60. Don't want to take a couple of years developing a qb. Ready to go receivers; Fitzy, Doucet and Floyd. Arizona might be able to move up and get Joeckel. Then trade for Mallett. I'd like their 2nd and a conditional pick based on his performance. IE 14 or more starts, 4000+ yards and .500 record. We get a first next year too.
  26. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    In case anyone gets too worked up about thinking there's any reality to this, the notion of the 6th Pick was forwarded by some guy who claims to've been an NFL "Operations Coordinator", whatever that is, but spends his entire day tweeting like a 15 year old Valley Girl, and generally makes incredibly vapid comments like:

"Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else."

...with absolutely no evident basis for making them!! :eek: :bricks:
  27. Sfpat

Sfpat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What about swap of firsts, Cleveland adds a third or forth. Pats trade down from 6, obtain 2014 1st and other assets, position themselves for either Bridgewater or Manziel as their next QB?
  28. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    Good stuff.

1 ~ I'm absolutely Over The Moon about Chance Warmack, but I question his fit, here. Of course, I question Marcus Cannon's fit, here, as well, yet: here he is. I'm a big fan of mobile, Pulling & Trapping Offensive Guards, so I prefer the rather awesome Jon Cooper as a better athletic fit for what I hope we keep doing...not that Mad Bill's calling me for advice!! [​IMG]

2 ~ I'm pretty giddy about Lombardi taking over CleveLand!! His arrival there does indeed appear to add substantial Market Value to Ryan Mallett. And if you're right about Zona ~ great Argument, by the way!! ~ then all it takes is two Bidders to squeeze some nice Value out of a guy who ~ up until a day or so ago ~ I wondered if he had any Market at all. That's still in question, mind you, but is looking far sweeter, today!! :D

3 ~ Ahhhh...That Other Guy From Alabama. :cool:

[​IMG]

Always appreciate the Reference, Brother Penn. As you may know, I am a frothing fan of Offensive Guards, and John Hannah...well, he wasn't the worst one who's ever played this Great Game. :D
  29. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
    Interesting, but I'd be shocked if that actually transpired: Book Value on that Swap, if CleveLand kicked in a 4th would be 1600 + 100 for, hopefully, 590, in addition to Mallett, which boils down to about 1100 Draft Dollars for Mallett, which is a Valuation of the #14 Pick.

I can't imagine that that's even in the realm of possibility.

But I like the way you're thinking!! :D
  30. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I proudly wore number 73 in high school. In honor of Hawg. We didn't get a lot of Pats games on tv when we moved to Pa. I used have to watch for highlights on different sports shows. I remember after we played the Jets in either 78 or 79. Channel 11 from NY ter showed this clip of Hannah. He checked right because we were in a passing situation and out of the corner of his left eye he saw the Jets were blitzing a cb from the boundry. He did a reverse pivot and exploded into this un-suspecting cb and hit him. No exaggeration, the guy landed 7-8 yards from where Hannah hit him. He freaking launched him like NASA would a rocket. Girard showed the highlight 3-4 times and is laughing hysterically. It was so unbelievable it looked cartoonish. Even wraps up his sportscast with it. And, he was doing the Jets highlights. Unbelievably, I've never seen this on Patriots highlights. Wish they could get footage of it for all to see.