PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

because we can most likely get cassel and then we would probably have to get 2 3rds or a 2nd and a 4th and those 2 picks would help us more than mallett will

Would trading Mallett to the Browns for a 2013 3rd and either a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2014 sound like an ideal trade to anyone??

Just realized that Mallett watch starts tomorrow. :D

Just realized that Mallett watch starts tomorrow. :D

At this point after rereading this thread I'm lost on what his value is. I'm hoping it's something shockingly good. I'm thinking best case scenario a 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd or 3rd next year.

Would trading Mallett to the Browns for a 2013 3rd and either a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2014 sound like an ideal trade to anyone??

Yup a low round conditional pick maxing out at a 1st rounder if they make the playoffs or something like that or he starts 15 games etc..

Depends on how you project Mallett. If you project him as a playoff-caliber starting QB, then anything but a 1st round pick is too low. If you consider him a project that has a high flame-out risk, then you get what you can as soon as you can.

I'm inclined to think their evaluation is closer to the former than the latter. In that case, you hold onto him unless you get 1st rounder (at least conditional) in return.

I think the idea of #6 pick or even a first rounder is ludicrous. No gm is going to bet his career on mallet like that. Maybe a third plus conditional 2 to 4. Another thing is that mallet may be getting ansy for a trade. He's doing nothing here.

but gm's use 1st round picks on unknown quarterbacks in the draft all the time im just not sure how its different

I'm not saying that the Pats should expect a 1st rounder for Mallett this year. That doesn't seem to be his current market value. If that is the case and if the Pats see him as a potential starter for their offense, then he is worth a lot more as a backup than what they can get in return.

Consider the possible development paths for Mallett and what you would want in return for a trade:
- Aaron Rodgers...1st rounder plus additional considerations
- Matt Schaub...1st rounder
- Kevin Kolb...2nd rounder plus additional considerations

Anything lower and he isn't a legit starter in the NFL. If that is how you evaluate him, ship him off now for whatever you can get and start developing another QB. Since the Pats haven't done that, I think it is safe to assume at this point that they see a relatively high ceiling for Mallett.

I see no reason to sell Mallett on the cheap this year. There could be 10-12 teams in 2014 with unsettled QB situations and either new coaches or coaches one step from unemployment. The 2014 draft doesn't look to be stacked at QB and the top ones (Bray and Thomas) are tall with strong arms, but are raw. Seems like an ideal time to look for a Mallett deal.

Anything less than a 2nd round this year or a 1st next year and he shouldn't be traded. Backup QBs, especially young ones with skills, have a lot of value in the NFL.

Anything less than a 2nd round this year or a 1st next year and he shouldn't be traded.

Backup QBs, especially young ones with skills, have a lot of value in the NFL.

Brian Hoyer, Rohan Davey, Kliff KingsBury, and Michael Bishop ~ Michael Bishop!! ~ say "Hi"!! :D

bucs and browns reportedly interested

Bold prediction. Browns trade for Mallett and he leads them to a division title.
Trade down from 1 to mid-first and draft a cb. Flip the 2nd they get in that
deal for Mallett.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh have taken major hits in free agency. Cincy's biggest edge over them was at qb. That wouldn't be the case with Mallett.

i honestly wouldnt be surprised to see a deal happen the browns seem like they have a potentially realy good team if they can just get a QB especially after signing kruger and bryant i wouldnt be surprised if they traded us the 6 for mallett and maybe a 5th next year or something like that

i honestly wouldnt be surprised to see a deal happen the browns seem like they have a potentially realy good team if they can just get a QB especially after signing kruger and bryant i wouldnt be surprised if they traded us the 6 for mallett and maybe a 5th next year or something like that

Why would BB let him go for so little? BB has him signed for another 2 seasons for little money, if the guy is a capable backup who might also have starter potential it'd be madness to let him go for cheap.

Why would BB let him go for so little? BB has him signed for another 2 seasons for little money, if the guy is a capable backup who might also have starter potential it'd be madness to let him go for cheap.

The number 6 overall pick is little?

if they traded the 6th to the pats...i cant see them trading additional picks unless the pats threw in a couple other players.

The Patriots can gain a lot from a good deal here. I just hope they know what they're doing in terms of selecting the type of players they need. After the passed couple years, I'm left to wonder. Then again, any trade-out for Mallet would probably be a gain, honestly.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back