PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Mallett has 2 yrs left. He can be showcased in the 2013 pre-season and then traded at any point thru the 2013 or at this time next year -- if some team gives BB a 1st rounder. In the meanwhile, the Pats have a capable backup in case something bad happens...

Mallett is better than most of the QBs coming out this year. 1 thing BB could do is allow Mallett to host his own "pro day" workout for interested teams in early April -- if there is sufficient interest.

After reading that Cassel has signed with Minny, my first thought was: Mallett's not going anywhere now.

After reading that Cassel has signed with Minny, my first thought was: Mallett's not going anywhere now.

Probably not, but with the Cardinals collecting quarterbacks, I would expect Hoyer to be cut loose. Although I still don't think Mallett's going anywhere this year.

Probably not, but with the Cardinals collecting quarterbacks, I would expect Hoyer to be cut loose. Although I still don't think Mallett's going anywhere this year.

The tendered him as an RFA

Browns signed Jason Campbell yesterday. Probably means they're out of the running for Mallett. And with the Bucs embroiled in negotiations for Revis, it's not likely that they'll be players either.

I suspect that we have a backup QB who knows the system for another year - which is no bad thing.

Browns signed Jason Campbell yesterday. Probably means they're out of the running for Mallett. And with the Bucs embroiled in negotiations for Revis, it's not likely that they'll be players either.

Or they're hedging their bets.

After all, nothing spells "long-term solution" like replacing a 29-year-old QB with a washed-up 31-year-old QB!

Or they're hedging their bets.

After all, nothing spells "long-term solution" like replacing a 29-year-old QB with a washed-up 31-year-old QB!

That Response Is Correct. :D

Jason CampBell is Fodder.

Doesn't affect Mallet's Market Value at all. :cool:

I suspect that we have a backup QB who knows the system for another year - which is no bad thing.

Hi Manx! I really enjoy your posts on the draft. Field Yates on ESPN Boston came to the same conclusion in his blog post this am, but I feel Campbell's signing doesn't effect the chances of Mallett being traded to the Browns at all.

Jason Campbell is no more the long-term QB solution for the Browns than Matt Hasselback is in Indy. Actually, when you read Rob Chudzinski's comments about how Campbell fits their new offense, you realize even more how Mallett's skill set is exactly what the Browns are looking for in a young QB. Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy certainly aren't good fits.

Who knows if Mallett is traded and whether the Pats are even seriously considering it, but Campbell's signing doesn't end the possibility.

but the availability of matt flynn does

OTOH, Matt Flynn, for the next two years, costs $11M if he's not willing to renegotiate his contract.

Right now, Mallett costs about $1M for the next two years.

OTOH, Matt Flynn, for the next two years, costs $11M if he's not willing to renegotiate his contract.

Right now, Mallett costs about $1M for the next two years.

While you're right in the literal sense, nobody is going to trade for Matt Flynn on his current contract unless they need to reach the salary floor. So he'll definitely be more expensive than Mallett, but he'll either stay a Seahawk at that price, be traded and re-negotiated, or cut and signed for whatever a team feels like committing to a guy with 2 NFL starts.

Brian Hoyer, Rohan Davey, Kliff KingsBury, and Michael Bishop ~ Michael Bishop!! ~ say "Hi"!! :D

Matt Cassel says HI right back!

And Alex "El-bencho" Smith garnered two 2nd round picks.

BTW Mallet was drafted with a 3rd. Bishop with a 7th. Big difference in draft status/regard.

Don't know what we can get for Mallet until a trade is made. But the proposals of a 6th round conditional pick are ludicrous. BB won't get fleeced when having a solid backup QB who knows the system is vital. Brady isn't getting any younger, no matter how great he is.

Mike Lombardi has traded Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Maybe there's still room for Mallett in Cleveland.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the thread about that trade.

Edit again: That thread dicusses the Matt Flynn trade. Never mind.

This thing isn't done yet as I can see several scenarios.

Why would the Pats be looking at Jordan a potential top 6 talent and Austin? Obviously not enough Ammo with picks to get there but there is still Mallett. I think we will be drafting for you guys this year and we are slotted for the 29.
I can see the Browns trading down anywhere from 7-12 and picking up a second and some change. Other players that could be on the move for draft picks while the front office shapes this roster are Jabaal Sheard, Rubin, Weeden. We already obtained a 5th and a 7th for McCoy and our 6th.

Anyway, We will have a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th, some players, or that #6 but BB would have to throw in picks if he wanted that from this year or next. I do think Mallett is basically a Brown already and that Lombardi and BB are allies in this draft both needing each other.

Why would the Pats be looking at Jordan a potential top 6 talent and Austin? Obviously not enough Ammo with picks to get there but there is still Mallett. I think we will be drafting for you guys this year and we are slotted for the 29.

The short version is that they're trying to assess their value, in case a player falls, etc.

Sometimes it's a smoke screen to dupe another team into overdrafting a player (see: Gholston, Vernon; White, Pat).

The short version is that they're trying to assess their value, in case a player falls, etc.

Sometimes it's a smoke screen to dupe another team into overdrafting a player (see: Gholston, Vernon; White, Pat).

I'm not aware of anyone that thinks Jordan would fall to 29 but weirder things have happened. You think teams would be duped into taking Jordan? I can understand that logic if the Pats were anywhere near the top of the draft but a smokescreen from 29 just doesn't sound right.

I'm honestly surprised Dion Jordan is rated so high. He seems to be benefitting from the post-Jason Pierre-Paul freak athlete fever.

I'm honestly surprised Dion Jordan is rated so high. He seems to be benefitting from the post-Jason Pierre-Paul freak athlete fever.
If players are benefitting from JPP's freak athleticism then Devin Taylor should be a draft riser. His measurables are comparable to JPP.

I'm not aware of anyone that thinks Jordan would fall to 29 but weirder things have happened. You think teams would be duped into taking Jordan? I can understand that logic if the Pats were anywhere near the top of the draft but a smokescreen from 29 just doesn't sound right.

Brownsfan: I should have been clearer. I'm not specifically saying that that's what they're doing with Jordan.

What I'm saying is that the Patriots will often bring in players that either (A) they have minimal interest in, or (B) they expect will be gone before their picks. In the former case, it's to try and "spook" a team (as the Pats did with convincing Miami to draft Pat White); in the latter, it's to determine the value at which they might consider moving up.

As a completely hypothetical example, let's say, that the Patriots decide that player X (whether Jordan or someone else) is worth Tampa Bay's #13 pick. If that player's still there, maybe the Pats call up TB and offer them Mallett + #29 for #13 to get him. Or maybe they decide player X is worth #25, so if he's still on the board at #24, they call and offer up #29 + their 3 for #25 + a 4.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back