PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Pats interested in Umenyiora (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Report: Pats interested in Umenyiora, price now down to 2nd rounder

Like that article states..pats rarely go after elite rushers

No thanks. I only approve of these trades when the compensation is something like what we gave for Haynesworth and Ocho.

I agree here. I'd rather pay Mankins, and also take either Brock or Roth--or possibly even both instead of Osi. I'm just too leery of the salary demands for someone who has had season ending surgeries in 2 of the last 3 yrs.

I'm guessing that Bill Belichick will agree with this thinking, but you never know. If we do get him, I will still be excited, but I will also wonder at what cost that the move came with.

Yup. And unlike a lot of fantasy fans here who want every FA with name recognition, that is what Bill will grapple with (if he even is considering it). Like he always says, you can afford any player you want to, it's just that you have to accept that it's a trade off on what else you either can't get or have to lose in order to. Lots of our own home grown talent will be coming up for big second deals in the next year or two. A couple of core guys are up already. You can only have so many guys on your roster making top five or even top ten money at their position before you end up like the Colts or JETS fielding a team with double digit UDFA's...

If it was a choice of Osi, or Mankins and somebody like Roth i'd be very much against the move.

I don't see why it has to be a choice - if we sign Mankins long-term, his cap # for this season will be reduced.

The cap is going to go up over the next several years, while we still have to be cognizant of making sure we re-sign guys like Mayo & McCourty, our long term cap outlook is very good.

Especially considering we cut a lot of fat in the offseason (Warren, Kaczur, Crump) and added guys like Haynesworth and Ochocinco who will - likely - end up w/ restructured deals we could get out of and make short term ones.

Last edited:

The dancing bust kindof ruined that run, BJGE or someone else runs north and not sideways into Osi, still a nice play.

Speaking of which, being out of the NFL at age 26 qualifies as bust. :D

a lot of hype centered around a good, albeit older dl with some injury issues.

personally, i would not part with anything higher than a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

No way. If $8 mil a year was all it took, he'd be a Giant tomorrow. He is better than Panthers' Johnson - he already said so publicly - and wants MORE than $12 mil a year.

How many $8 mil a year players can a team have with a $120 mil cap? How many do we have now? I don't knwo, jsut asking

i am sure andy reid and the philly eagles know the answer to this. :rolleyes:

All of the "capologist's" in this thread will be the first ones lining up to give Osi the Patsfans forum version of a slurpie if this deal actually goes down.

Osi is a beast dipped in monster batter. SIGN ME UP with the bring him in crowd.

I don't see why it has to be a choice - if we sign Mankins long-term, his cap # for this season will be reduced.

The cap is going to go up over the next several years, while we still have to be cognizant of making sure we re-sign guys like Mayo & McCourty, our long term cap outlook is very good.

Especially considering we cut a lot of fat in the offseason (Warren, Kaczur, Crump) and added guys like Haynesworth and Ochocinco who will - likely - end up w/ restructured deals we could get out of and make short term ones.

It's not about just THIS season. It's about the league cap and the team cap as it projects for the next 5. Right now we have close to our standard of 10 players taking up half the cap. And that is with a lot of rookies on first deals that will soon become second deals and with Brady's cap hit at the lowest it will be from here on out. The more top heavy a team cap becomes, the less talented the roster becomes overall including depth.

As to Umenyiora's cap hit and salary: If the Pats really want him, they can give him a real cap friendly deal even if they pay him what Umenyiora is looking for if they take the Jets' approach. The Jets are currently signing big contracts backloading the money into 2014 where the cap is expected to jump 50-70% when the new TV deals kick in. I guarantee you when the details of Holmes' and Harris' deals are released, you see that.

It is a gamble. There is no guarantee the cap will jump nearly that much. It is a low risk gamble if you do it with one or two salaries. Gets riskier if you do it with more.

I don't know if Belichick will do that. I know there will be teams that abuse it when they catch on. I doubt the Pats would. The question is would Belichick use this gamble to get a marquee name like Umenyiora.

Last edited:

The question is would Belichick use this gamble to get a marquee PASS RUSHER like Umenyiora.

Why not?? It's time to go all in... Brady isn't getting any younger.

Why the hell would you link us any clip from Black Sunday??????:mad:

.......and Osi being blocked one-on-one by Christian friggin' Fauria!:bricks:

Here's a fair way of doing it. Take your 4 year variable, and take each guys 4 best statistical years. You can do 5 too.
Feel free. Whatever method you want to use, Osi isnt coming out as 'elite'

Based on the reports from camp, you can throw the past out the window. The Pats look to be changing defensive philosophies. If the Pats are truly moving to a 4-3 attack defense, getting a versatile guy is less important than when he ran a 3-4 read and react defense.

The thing with Belichick is he will do whatever he needs to make this team a winner. He looks to change his defensive philosophy to do it. He could change the type of player he might acquire too.
We play 43 early in camp most years, and we have this discussion every year. BB has never played 1 gap defense.
Versatility is not less important if the scheme changes.

To all of those saying that Osi is one-dimensional (and I don't necessarily disagree), I have one question for you . . . WHAT IS THE ONE DIMENSION THAT THE PATS ARE MISSING THE MOST? I'll wait. I'll give you one clue. It happens to be the one in which Osi excels.;)
Good argument for adding a piece. Terrible argument for a guy looking for 10mill a year.

It's not about just THIS season. It's about the league cap and the team cap as it projects for the next 5. Right now we have close to our standard of 10 players taking up half the cap. And that is with a lot of rookies on first deals that will soon become second deals and with Brady's cap hit at the lowest it will be from here on out. The more top heavy a team cap becomes, the less talented the roster becomes overall including depth.

I agree with the overall point - but based on my perusal of Miguel's pages and my assumptions about the cap going forward, they could afford to add Osi. It might require them to do some of the stuff Rob talks about in the post above - which isn't necessarily their style. So it probably won't happen. But I can't rule it out.

The only concern I would have is Osi's health. If he's able to remain healthy (thus highly productive) than I can't imagine why anyone would have concerns adding him for a couple years.

The only time the cap is an issue is when a team is paying a non productive player a high cap amount. If Osi is a productive player than this is a non issue.

Besides, Brady aint getting any younger. It's about time this team won a SB again and if Osi can stay healthy (admittedly a big ?) then no doubt the chances of a Pats SB win goes up exponentially. And that I am very good with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe