PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Pats interested in Umenyiora (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Report: Pats interested in Umenyiora, price now down to 2nd rounder

He has 60 sacks in 8 years, 7.5 per year.
A quick check shows:
Taylor
Porter
Allen
Peppers
Abraham
Ware
Freeney
Mathis
Suggs
Cole
Phillips
Will Smith
Williams
Hali
Woodley

have more per year, and I've left out players with less than 4 years in the league.
Thats 15 guys.
What is your definition of ELITE?
Mine is one of the very few best. No way Osi Umanyuora is elite.
he has 60 sacks in 78 starts

He has 60 sacks in 8 years, 7.5 per year.
A quick check shows:
Taylor
Porter
Allen
Peppers
Abraham
Ware
Freeney
Mathis
Suggs
Cole
Phillips
Will Smith
Williams
Hali
Woodley

have more per year, and I've left out players with less than 4 years in the league.
Thats 15 guys.
What is your definition of ELITE?
Mine is one of the very few best. No way Osi Umanyuora is elite.

Why did you count 2008 as a season? He missed the whole year with an injury, so you probably should have used 7 years, but who cares anyway.

The fact of the matter is that you said earlier that you don't understand why so many fans have become stat chasers, yet you are using stats to back some of your logic. That seems a bit inconsistent. Why are you using sacks per year to determine the "eliteness" of certain pass rushers if stats aren't that useful and "stat chasers" don't know how to truly build a team?

I don't know how much you've seen of Osi play, and you're entitled to your opinion, but you seem to be in the minority on this one. A lot of people see him as a better all around player than you give him credit for. I agree that he is a bit weaker than ideal vs the run, but I don't think he's an atrocity like you claim.

Even so, all the other guys you allege as being "more elite" than him have warts in their games too, yet most are still paid top dollar. Obviously, everyone is looking for a guy like Lawrence Taylor, but those are once in a generation types of players. You can say bad things about all of those guys you listed as being better than Osi in terms of sacks. Some are weak vs the run, some take plays off, some don't maintain the level of consistency from game to game, some are one-trick ponies, some are only good because of the scheme and/or talent surrounding them, etc.

The point is that when you watch Osi Umenyoria play, the guy can wreak havoc, put pressure on the QB, blow plays up in the backfield, and force turnovers. He is a big time difference maker as a pass rusher, regardless of how many sacks per year he has. If you put him on a DL with Haynesworth and Wilfork, who basically both command double teams, Osi would have a monstrous year for the Patriots.

A lot of top flight pass rushers are considered "weak" against the run because they are more interested in getting sacks and "killing the QB" than playing with contain principles or setting the edge. I have seen Osi play a good amount of football and I do not think he is as bad against the run as you think he is. That's just a difference of opinion.

I think Osi is well worth a second round pick and $8-$10 million per year. He is a great all around pass rusher. I've seen him have success speed rushing, bull rushing, using swim/rip/spin moves, blitzing as a stand up LB in an exotic package. Yes, there is no doubting that he's not a great run stuffer, but he's still good enough in that area that he is worth the investment. This team has not had an elite pass rusher for a very long time.

I know you said you don't mind getting a pass rushing demon to play in sub packages and play 60% of the total defensive snaps, but who do you plan on going out and getting and how are you going to do it? Regardless of how good a guy is against the run, if he's a good pass rusher, he's going to get big money. This league has become a glorified 7 on 7 game, and guys that can get after the QB and put him on his back are consistently given big time money.

Jason Babin had one good year and just got around $5.5-$6 million per year for 5 years at the age of 31. He never had a double digit sack season before 2010, when he racked up 12.5. The highest he ever had before 2010 was 5 sacks, back in 2006.

Charles Johnson had one good year and just got $12 million per year for 6 years. He's had one double digit sack season and was given $12 million dollars per year.

Osi Umenyoria has had 3 double digit sack seasons. He has been a key part of a defense that beat the greatest offense of all time in the SB. He still managed 7 sacks in 2009, despite feuding with the coaching staff, being benched, and having his snaps reduced which led also led to lower confidence and morale levels.

Maybe he doesn't meet your sacks per game assessment, but I'd take him over a ton of guys on your list of people who have more sacks than him. Out of the guys on that list, he's closer to the top than he is to the bottom in terms of pass rushing ability IMO. He is a playmaker at a position where the Pats have desperately needed a playmaker for a long time.

he has 60 sacks in 78 starts

He was paid once. Wants to be paid again. Giants are smart to get what they can. Excellent pass rusher "when healthy" which is half the games. I think he sacked McNabb about 25 of those 60 sacks in about 5 games.

This would be a mistake.

Pay Mankins instead.

I could live with trading away our 2nd, as that will be close to the 3rd. But clearly no one in the league was willing to part with a 1st or offer anything close to that value.

Guy is a beast..would love to see him here..but don't think it will happen

Jets forum would implode if the pats got Osi

I was there yesterday and they were all going nutz about that idea of us getting him. Rexy would know what to do with himself. :p

what makes anyone think that the run game will be a big issue after the 1st quarter? With the number one scoring offense in football adding Chad and some intriguing rookies to an already productive backfield; combined with a hypothetical D-Line of Cunningham/wilfork/Haynesworth/Osi and a secondary full of fast, young, ball hawking DB's? :D

On a serious note I haven't seen anything that is sugesting Osi has asked for 12 million as stated previously in this thread, I haven't seen any reports of what he is actually asking for. Osi said Johnson is making more than him and Tuck combined and that it was not right. He didn't state that he should be making as much or more.

And just because Carolina is throwing around stupid money doesn't mean the rest of the league (outside of Oakland) will. His agent will identify the true market value of his client via interested trade partners willing to part with a 2nd, and at that point I think Osi will be traded. He has no other choice, he has backed himself into a corner and a trade is the only way out.

This. Aso is a perfect example. When he did his presser he laughed at the media because of what they thought he wanted. Aso never said he wanted to be the highest paid CB in football, not once. So before we say Osi will want 11m+ maybe we should actually hear him say something to that affect.

Osi is Elite. I don't know what passes for Elite these days but I'm befuddled. Maybe he wants elite $$ maybe he doesn't. Since we don't know that the question really is the draft compensation. A 2nd is about right imo. This D could be ripe for a SB run and we have all the other pieces.

He was paid once. Wants to be paid again. Giants are smart to get what they can. Excellent pass rusher "when healthy" which is half the games. I think he sacked McNabb about 25 of those 60 sacks in about 5 games.

This would be a mistake.

Pay Mankins instead.

I agree here. I'd rather pay Mankins, and also take either Brock or Roth--or possibly even both instead of Osi. I'm just too leery of the salary demands for someone who has had season ending surgeries in 2 of the last 3 yrs.

I'm guessing that Bill Belichick will agree with this thinking, but you never know. If we do get him, I will still be excited, but I will also wonder at what cost that the move came with.

To all of those saying that Osi is one-dimensional (and I don't necessarily disagree), I have one question for you . . . WHAT IS THE ONE DIMENSION THAT THE PATS ARE MISSING THE MOST? I'll wait. I'll give you one clue. It happens to be the one in which Osi excels.;)

If they do this trade, I'll be really excited -- our defense will be sick and feared and Sanchez will implode into a puddle of pee at the first sight of our d-line.

If they don't do the trade, I won't care at all, because Osi is an overpaid bum who can't stop the run.

This would be great if it was 2007. Osi, Albert, Chad........Moss?

I'd be surprised if BB takes Umenyiora. The name of the Patriots is floating around, which will certainly drive up the price for, say, the Ravens, sending a higher pick from an AFC contender to an NFC team.

He's coveted guys like Jason Taylor, who could rush, cover, and stop the run from any position on the line. AD was multi-positional. I don't know that it matters what scheme BB wants to play, it matters that he wants to play multiple schemes. One guy that does the same thing every time can be stopped. Many guys who play unpredictably are much harder to stop.

I think BB will make another deal, but not for Osi.

Umenyiora can't come to the Pats. We already had a "Steamer" on the team before.

I'd be surprised if BB takes Umenyiora. The name of the Patriots is floating around, which will certainly drive up the price for, say, the Ravens, sending a higher pick from an AFC contender to an NFC team.

He's coveted guys like Jason Taylor, who could rush, cover, and stop the run from any position on the line. AD was multi-positional. I don't know that it matters what scheme BB wants to play, it matters that he wants to play multiple schemes. One guy that does the same thing every time can be stopped. Many guys who play unpredictably are much harder to stop.

I think BB will make another deal, but not for Osi.

Based on the reports from camp, you can throw the past out the window. The Pats look to be changing defensive philosophies. If the Pats are truly moving to a 4-3 attack defense, getting a versatile guy is less important than when he ran a 3-4 read and react defense.

The thing with Belichick is he will do whatever he needs to make this team a winner. He looks to change his defensive philosophy to do it. He could change the type of player he might acquire too.

Based on the reports from camp, you can throw the past out the window. The Pats look to be changing defensive philosophies. If the Pats are truly moving to a 4-3 attack defense, getting a versatile guy is less important than when he ran a 3-4 read and react defense.

The thing with Belichick is he will do whatever he needs to make this team a winner. He looks to change his defensive philosophy to do it. He could change the type of player he might acquire too.
Often the best thinkers are ones who get ahead of the times. Whilst BB has built his foundation on the 3-4 switching to the 4-3 shouldn't be ruled out "just because". To be honest I'm not fussed if we stay with the 3-4 or go to some other philosophy all I am certain of is BB and his stable of coaches are incredibly smart men who want to win.

2007 through 2010 pains me, imagine what it's doing to BB.

Brady is getting older and we have the pieces NOW. Get Osi to solidify our D:)

play for the year this time Bill we have plenty of young talent, but no pass rushing LB that is dominant

Last edited:

Generally I'd be against this kind of move.

Osi will cost a lot to sign long term, and a 2nd rounder isn't something to trade lightly, even though we (and the league, likely) probably have a 50% success rate with a 2nd rounder (went back to 2003, and that % is greatly improved thanks to going 3/3 last year).

But with teams around the league being uber-aggressive while the bottom dwellers sit tight and save their money even worse than in previous years, probably b/c the salary floor doesn't kick in until next year, the Pats - like the Eagles - might as well pull out all the stops as well.

If we really are going to 43 - and based on Haynesworth's and Warren's comments, a more aggressive D - why not get an elite edge rusher? Cunningham-Haynesworth-Wilfork-Osi is a heck of a 4 man line, and Cunningham gives you some real versatility to drop in coverage and zone blitz and whatnot.

Last edited:

Because it's been announced as a rumor in the press I've downgraded the likelihood of it happening to nil.

He obviously is a force in the passing game but he's also a liability vs the run which is the real reason I don't see it happening.

If it was a choice of Osi, or Mankins and somebody like Roth i'd be very much against the move.

If Mankins can be tied up and sufficient cap left over then I think we have a linebacking corps good enough to make up for Osi's run d flakes so it would be silly not to kick the tires on the deal and see what he was looking to get paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes