PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Patriots Add WR Austin Collie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Austin Collie signed

I don't know if I'm the first person to post this in this thread. I hope not.

http://www.thedrawplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013-01-26-Collie1.png

That's classic

2013-01-26-Collie1.png

After Game One, we had 4 wide receivers and 2 tight ends. To say that we were counting on Sudfeld as our 5th WR is interesting to say. If he were the 3rd or 4th TE, that might have made sense. Belichick knew that he was going to depend on untested rookies. You are essentially saying that Belichick counted on all four to immediately produce enough to bridge the gap until Gronk and Danny came back, and BTW none could be injured in the meantime.

Forgive me if this doesn't make sense to me. Sudfeld was indeed a move TE. He was so bad that Hooman took over that role almost immediately. TO suggest that either was expected after Game One to be our immediate 5th receiver doesn't seem right. IMHO, we counted on Sudfeld to be our #2 TE. When he was hopeless, Mulligan was picked up.

it seems to me that after Game One, we needed WR help, perhaps only for a few weeks. Belichick decided to roll the dice and count on all the rookies and that none would be injured.
And then, two were injured. As I have argued since long before we set the roster, we have room for a veteran, given the inexperience of the receiver corps and given Gronk's injuries.
Many, many of us suggested adding a veteran after Game One, before which contracts were guaranteed. This seemed a perfect solution, especially when Danny was injured. Belichick stayed stubborn and here we are.

And yes, this is all good. We are in fine shape, even if we are 6-3 going into the bye (and we WILL beat the jets and pitt). Obviously, we have opportunities to be in even better shape.

The problem is that every receiver on the team, sans Edelman and Boyce, is on the report this week. It isn't just a couple injuries, all of them are nicked up. And you can add Suds' ineffectiveness to the picture as well, because if he were producing NE probably wouldn't have signed Collie even with all the WRs being banged up.

Under the assumption that 4 of 6 WRs get hurt and the team runs out of patience and releases a defacto 5th WR, sure it would have been nice to have another stray body lying around. Unfortunately, you don't have space to build around this scenario, at that point you just roll with the punches. :confused2:

Nope.

Just don't know whether it was only by the Patriots medical staff or not.

I'd be much more confident about the situation if it wasn't just by the Gill gang.

Jonathan Fanene, Ted Johnson and a whole host of others say hi.

Fanene was cut because he hid an injury, the medical staff didn't ignore an injury.
Ted Johnson played with concussions when it was commonplace.
While you may be able to make an argument trashing Gill these are not good examples

Nope.

Just don't know whether it was only by the Patriots medical staff or not.

I'd be much more confident about the situation if it wasn't just by the Gill gang.

Jonathan Fanene, Ted Johnson and a whole host of others say hi.

By the way, if it was the case that Collie was examined by Patriot doctors and cleared to play and Collie accepted that, what is the issue?
Are you suggesting the team should force him to go an outside doctor before they sign him even though he was cleared by their doctor?
That would open a real can of worms.
The player always has the choice of getting a doctors opinion before even going to the team and getting examined by their doctor.
Do you think that Collie hasn't seen a private doctor for all these years since getting injured, and if he hasn't he must feel he is fine.
I think you are digging for a conspiracy theory that isn't there.
I think Austin Collie is at least as capable of making medical decisions for himself as we are making them for him.

I don't expect him to be here next year, but hopefully he catches more than a few TDs from Tom.

I don't expect him to be here next year, but hopefully he catches more than a few TDs from Tom.

He may very well not be here next year, but we've got to worry about this year right now. A player can't always be measured just by statistics alone. It's possible that Belichick feels that he can show the younger receivers something, or even provide value during practice. He at least offers a credible depth option on the bench should someone go down, which really can't be said at the moment for Boyce (not yet anyway), Slater, or Harrison in the future.

Keep in mind that he also has playoff and big game experience, and likely has a much better chance of picking up what we do here quicker than most of the other options available at the moment. He should at least be able to provide Brady a viable receiving outlet if/when he ever sees the field. Just knowing where to line up, how to read the defense, and where to be in the route goes a long way towards gaining Tom's trust. We don't need him to do all that much to be honest, just catch a couple/few balls here and there if it comes down it.

So what are they bringing him in for....to sell popcorn?....or sausages with onions and PEPPAHS?

I don't think any of us have much of a clue to how much he'll see the field. That would depend on what Belichick feels of the current receiver talent, the severity or lack thereof regarding the current injuries, and possibly even specific gameplanning vs upcoming opponents.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to think that we could use an upgrade to Boyce, who has only received 5-6 targets through the first 1/4 of the season and is obviously lacking Brady's trust. It's also not out of the realm of possibility to consider that he is nothing more than a depth signing in case another injury occurs, where he'll be either inactive or see limited reps at best, quite a bit.

Keep in mind that we already have Amendola set to return any game now, possibly even Sunday. That would leave Edelman, Thompkins, and Dobson (as the typical "developmental" type receiver who may be brought about at a somewhat slower pace, especially once Amendola and Gronk return). Dobson would be the WR4, and actually the clear cut 5th option when Gronkowski returns. That now leaves Josh Boyce vs Austin Collie as the WR5 or "6th" receiving option.

While he may contribute on some level depending on other scenarios, I'm not sure I'd go adding him to my fantasy football team just yet. He'll be the 6th receiving option at best, and that's IF he instantly takes over Josh Boyce's role. If not, he's now the 7th receiving option and WR6--which could certainly make him inactive for some of the games depending on the situation and how many WR's Belichick dresses for the situation.

I think it's kind of an unknown at this point. It could go either way. It's quite possible that Belichick doesn't even know until he sees him in live game situations.

Austin Collie NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Not much production in Indy, but he was the #3 guy there. With the Pats, could be the #2 option for Brady if they are clicking on the field. I wish him the best and hope he keeps his head up and avoids big hits.

I think the people that ragged on Brandon Lloyd need to reassess his production and his ability to get to the turf and avoid big hits. Last season, Lloyd was way better than any of Collie's seasons.

First of all I trust BB not to sign a guy who sees two or three balls coming at him from two or three different QBs. Obviously he is cleared to play football, so let’s just put some faith into our front office’s decisions.

CallingTed Johnson, calling Ted Johnson!

First of all I trust BB not to sign a guy who sees two or three balls coming at him from two or three different QBs. Obviously he is cleared to play football, so let’s just put some faith into our front office’s decisions...

This team has demonstrated, time and again, that it can screw up personnel decisions with the best of them, so why the need to "put some faith" into them?

Austin Collie NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Not much production in Indy, but he was the #3 guy there. With the Pats, could be the #2 option for Brady if they are clicking on the field. I wish him the best and hope he keeps his head up and avoids big hits.

I think the people that ragged on Brandon Lloyd need to reassess his production and his ability to get to the turf and avoid big hits. Last season, Lloyd was way better than any of Collie's seasons.
Brandon Lloyd is not as explosive as Collie is. You cant compare seasons when Collie was playing with Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark and you know this. Stats Can't measure a players skill and Ability.

By the way, if it was the case that Collie was examined by Patriot doctors and cleared to play and Collie accepted that, what is the issue?
Are you suggesting the team should force him to go an outside doctor before they sign him even though he was cleared by their doctor?
That would open a real can of worms.
The player always has the choice of getting a doctors opinion before even going to the team and getting examined by their doctor.
Do you think that Collie hasn't seen a private doctor for all these years since getting injured, and if he hasn't he must feel he is fine.
I think you are digging for a conspiracy theory that isn't there.
I think Austin Collie is at least as capable of making medical decisions for himself as we are making them for him.

Many types of brain injuries are not detectable until the person dies and you cut open the brain. He really may not be fully capable of making medical decisions for himself. At the same time, BB has a history of working with troubled people, so I can appreciate him giving Collie a shot; after all, for players at that level, football is almost as important as life itself. For me, it's a moral dilemma, but I would have erred on the side of safety.

Brandon Lloyd is not as explosive as Collie is. You cant compare seasons when Collie was playing with Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark and you know this. Stats Can't measure a players skill and Ability.

I think they're very comparable. LLoyd had more than 70 catches for over 900 yards in an offense with Hernandez, Gronkowski and Wes Welker as targets.

Hopefully whatevers left of Collie's brain can learn this playbook to make an impact. Really hope this kid doesn't get hurt again.

Lets say Austin Collie digest the playbook some he's a smart guy with mush for brains j/k :D. With DA -Gronk - JE and Collie they would make us rely less on the Rookies period! I think this Collie signing if he can stay concussion free will help our Rookie WR's over the long run get em out of the fire. I couldn't see us going 1 for 13 on third downs with this combination DA -Gronk - JE and Collie. Let the Rookies WR's spend more time with the Scout Team developing their hands and route running. A injury to any of the four mentioned should get em some action but if not leave Rookie's on the pine. Watching some will help their growth process.

JA?

Julian Edelman?

Hopefully whatevers left of Collie's brain can learn this playbook to make an impact.

Ask and you shall receive. :rocker:

Hopefully whatevers left of Collie's brain can learn this playbook to make an impact.

Apparently in less than 2 weeks whatever is left of Collie's brain can learn the playbook better than Ochocino.

Austin Collie, YOU SIR have gained confidence of Tom Brady. Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes