PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Patriots Add WR Austin Collie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Austin Collie signed

1) I agree that a player picked up during the season takes a couple of weeks to learn enough to compete.

2) We like to have 4 active receiver, with the #4 getting a few reps. IMHO, we should always have a backup for the #4 on the inactive roster or on the Practice Squad. So I agree that if we would have been considered "prepared" if we had a Practice Squad player who could step in.

3) I wanted to have a veteran on the 53 because of the lack of experience in the three rookies. Belichick decided to count on the rookies. That worked out fine. All three rookies have contributed. Belichick won the trifecta. I am not as much of a gambling man.

4) However, when Amendola was injured, we were down to four receivers, with no backups. except Sims, who apparently was not considered good enough. IMHO, we should have added a receiver after Game One. As was the situation with Mulligan, the player could now be part of the offense, even if only a limited part.

5) My bottom line is that we should generally TRY to be able to deal with 2 injuries. Certainly, if we have one injury, we should pick up someone as an emergency in case of the second injury. So, for me, Belichick's choice of veteran WR should have been on the team for three weeks. We would be expecting Thompkins and Dobson to play. However, we would have a backup if one or both couldn't go.

6) And yes, I understand that we cannot have sufficient backups everywhere, even including the Practice Squad. As I have said, the comparison is LB, where we have 3 starters and a #4 four. The rest get no reps. However, we have a #5, a #6, an inactive #7 and a #8 on the Practice Squad (even if we don't consider Ninkovich as the primary backup as he was last year). Yes, these player play special teams. However, Fletcher is a dependable #5, and White OR Beuharnais would be sufficient #6, if we didn't think that the PS player was up to the task. Of course, we also have our #9 and #10 choices at LB on speed dial.

==================
===================

SITUATION AFTER GAME ONE

We had ONE WR injury and in Game 2, our 5th receiver was used, He was used more in Game 3 and 4.
=============
SITUATION AFTER A SECOND WR RECEIVER INJURY

We would use a 6th WR if we had one, if he had been on the team long enough to know the offense.
=====
SITUATION AFTER A THIRD RECEIVER INJURY

The situation is panic because we don't have adequate backup.

Sciz is 100% correct with this one.

How excited Collie must be to finally be playing with the greatest qb in the NFL.

SITUATION AFTER GAME ONE

We had ONE WR injury and in Game 2, our 5th receiver was used, He was used more in Game 3 and 4.
=============
SITUATION AFTER A SECOND WR RECEIVER INJURY

We would use a 6th WR if we had one, if he had been on the team long enough to know the offense.
=====
SITUATION AFTER A THIRD RECEIVER INJURY

The situation is panic because we don't have adequate backup.

The problem is that every receiver on the team, sans Edelman and Boyce, is on the report this week. It isn't just a couple injuries, all of them are nicked up. And you can add Suds' ineffectiveness to the picture as well, because if he were producing NE probably wouldn't have signed Collie even with all the WRs being banged up.

Under the assumption that 4 of 6 WRs get hurt and the team runs out of patience and releases a defacto 5th WR, sure it would have been nice to have another stray body lying around. Unfortunately, you don't have space to build around this scenario, at that point you just roll with the punches. :confused2:

Wish this guy the best...also have fingers crossed that Amendola gets back and they can release this guy with his brains (what's left of them) intact.

No, our military people are doing a job. They weren't drafted, they decided to join to serve, but also for the benefits that go along with that job. What, free college and $35k a year along with a place to stay?

These football players are getting paid more in a year than many of these people who serve us will get paid in their lifetimes. They do it at a risk to their long term health, but unlike soldiers, policemen, firemen, not life and death. They weigh the risks and rewards, love of the game, huge paydays, vs long term health and decide to play.

It isn't for me to sit here and worry about them, they have made their own decision, and I am not their father to worry about them. I will worry about my own sons in the Air Force.

The point you miss is that it sure as hell is the NFL'S job to worry about them.

It isn't war, it isn't national security.

You DON'T play fast and loose with people's lives for a freaking game.

There are risks in football that will never go away. But if someone has a brain injury condition, you don't shrug it off as "As long as he signs a waiver....."

The hope is that Collie got checked out by multiple competent and honest doctors before he was given the green light.

I'm glad that the great majority of those posting in this thread care about a fellow human being. For most of us, it doesn't end with our immediate family.

Last edited:

That doesn't change that he'd be pressed into playing time with one DE injury, where it takes 3 WR injuries to get the #6 WR on the field.
He already got playing time due to one injury, to Wilfork. He was playing sub DT last week.

The point you miss is that it sure as hell is the NFL'S job to worry about them.

There are risks in football that will never go away. But if someone has a brain injury condition, you don't shrug it off as "As long as he signs a waiver....."

The hope is that Collie got checked out by multiple competent and honest doctors before he was given the green light.

I'm glad that the great majority of those posting in this thread care about a fellow human being. For most of us, it doesn't end with our immediate family.

By the same token, teams cannot deny him the right to work. If he is cleared by a Doctor you can't just say you wont sign him because he might get hurt.

By the same token, teams cannot deny him the right to work. If he is cleared by a Doctor you can't just say you wont sign him because he might get hurt.

Key is that he be cleared by doctors.

And I used the word in plural.

NFL and independent.

The NFL just paid out $765 million to retired players who have had post concussive problems. The reason why it wasn't in the billions is because of the defense that "We didn't have the medical knowledge about this in the past".

Well they have alot more known now.

In just 4 days, this will air: League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE | PBS

The league can get through this, but they better be careful. If they adopt the attitude of a Moosekill, there will be no NFL within a decade.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

And you can add Suds' ineffectiveness to the picture as well, because if he were producing NE probably wouldn't have signed Collie even with all the WRs being banged up.

I wonder how much Sudfeld getting hurt in Week 1 contributed to this.

As a case in point: imagine what would have happened if Edelman hadn't broken his forearm against the Titans as a rookie. He was already leading all rookies in receptions, and the Pats were working on a two-WR package that was him and WWW.

Reiss sez it's a one-year deal with vet minimum, split salary if he ends up on IR, and an injury waiver.

If the NFL really wanted to take care of them they wouldn't let them play the freaking game at all. That is the issue. People aren't meant to smash into other people at full speed, whether or not they are wearing pads. It is detrimental to their long term health. They, however, are paid extremely well to do just that. So they choose to do so, and I enjoy watching the game, so I am happy they do.

So bull crap, they do play fast and loose with people's lives.

If the NFL really wanted to take care of them they wouldn't let them play the freaking game at all. That is the issue. People aren't meant to smash into other people at full speed, whether or not they are wearing pads. It is detrimental to their long term health. They, however, are paid extremely well to do just that. So they choose to do so, and I enjoy watching the game, so I am happy they do.

They let boxers box, too, until they don't let them box anymore.

They let posters post, too, until they don't let them post anymore. Thirty seven thousand strong and counting.
(tee-hee. I just couldn't resist. It was sitting right up there on a tee.)

"You know your man is working hard. He's worth a Deus!"

Yup, and if we were really "worried" about them, we wouldn't let them box. Anything else is just window dressing to make us feel good about it.

Yup, and if we were really "worried" about them, we wouldn't let them box. Anything else is just window dressing to make us feel good about it.

You're completely ignoring the basic concept of "that's enough, any more would be too dangerous."

Key is that he be cleared by doctors.

And I used the word in plural.

NFL and independent.

The NFL just paid out $765 million to retired players who have had post concussive problems. The reason why it wasn't in the billions is because of the defense that "We didn't have the medical knowledge about this in the past".

Well they have alot more known now.

In just 4 days, this will air: League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE | PBS

The league can get through this, but they better be careful. If they adopt the attitude of a Moosekill, there will be no NFL within a decade.

It is what it is.

Are you suggesting that he was not cleared medically?

Are you suggesting that he was not cleared medically?

Nope.

Just don't know whether it was only by the Patriots medical staff or not.

I'd be much more confident about the situation if it wasn't just by the Gill gang.

Jonathan Fanene, Ted Johnson and a whole host of others say hi.

Austin Collie signed

Call me when we're crying about electrical linesmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes