PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Mankins' [Tender Offer] Reduced - was offered 7 mil per season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Logan doesnt get it. Maybe hes not worth more than 7/35 to the Pats or any other team right now. Maybe if he plays til free agency things will be different.
And I think its already got ugly, its past ugly.

or maybe he does get it and knows he can get more somewhere else

Often the patriots extend contracts with a year left on the contract. This siuation started last offseason. I think that the patriots knew then and now that they would not be interested in giving Mankins a contract that he would want to accept. Mankins wanted top dollar after a reasonable rookie contract. This doesn't seem to fit in to the patriot budget. The patriots lucked out and there was no CBA extension, so they have RFA rights to Mankins.

The patriots and Mankins had discussions over a year ago. We don't know the details, only that Mankins thought that the patriots would indeed come up with an acceptable contract. There was absolutely no reason to trust the word of management. The nfl is a business after all.

Mankins watched lots of folks get extensions and new contracts. He thought that he was valuable to the team and waited as Kraft had asked. He waited through the 2009 offseason and season (some like Seymour and Branch made there move at that point in their contracts). He waited through the 2010 offseason up until the draft. Of course no one made offers under the RFA (no one ever does; isn't collusion great). The patriots didn't draft a guard and had him wait some more. He waited some more.

And the time finally came for the patriots to give him an offer and the patriots did not come up with what Mankins expected, or anywhere near what he expected (I expect tha the biggest issue is guaranteed money) . The problem is that Mankins expected much more from the patriots and was disappointed. And then the patriots chose to reduce their 2010 offer to $1.5M. This was the CHOICE of the patriots. They could have left the original tender offer on the table. The patriot undertand that the chances of Mankins playing the 2010 season as he has played the last four after the current offer is exactly ZERO. The patriots understand that there will be some reaction and loss of practice, games and effort from Mankins if he plays for $200K per game. The patriots made their choice. And the situation is now clear.

==============
Mankins was disappointed and pi$$ed off. He should have known better. Perhaps he did, perhaps he didn't. In any case, talking to the public doesn't seem at all an unreasonable tactic at this point.

The probability of his being traded and having a better long term contract seems much more likely than before his public statements.

It is just that we posters need to understand that Mankins will get his contract elsewhere, this year or next. WE POSTERS should ahve understood that for at least a year. It is only the lack of a CBA extension that give us any reason to have Mankins on the team for one year. There was always little chance beyond that. There are teams willing to pay $8M a year for a guard and give him considerable guaranteed monies. The patriots are not one of those teams.
=================

The very sad bottom line is that we discussed this over a year ago. It seemed then and now that it was very unlikely that the patriots would pay the "outrageous" amounts that Mankins might get from some other team. It seemed likely then and now that Mankins would go somewhere else in 2011. The ONLY question, then and now, was whether the patriots would come to a one year accomodation with Mankins or whether they would trade him. That is still an open question.

Posters here seem not to understand the basic negotiation tactics within the NFL. Mankins is using one of the only tactics at his disposal at this point, after the threat of a reduction in tender offer.
==================
THE REALITY

Mankins has no contract. He doesn't want to play for the patriots long-term, given the value the patriots put on him. And the patriots offer for one year is $1.5M. The patriots have made their position clear.

And everyone here is upset when Mankins has chosen to do the same. Unless there is special 2010 CBA rule (which someone thinks there is), we can expect to see Mankins on the Practrice field after the 2010 trade deadline. If he needs to report earlier he will, and will then later walk out or not participate in other ways).

No one seems upset with the patriots for trying to get Mankins for $1.5M for his 2010 services. And we shouldn't be upset. The team thought it was worth a try. Perhaps Mankins is really a no-nothing farm boy and the "big" city rubes from Bosten can get him to play at an all-pro level for $1.5M for his last year. And then again, perhaps Mankins has an agent, a union, and better advice then to be in camp now, agreeing to play for $1.5M (or even $3.4M) for the 2010 season.

================

Almost all? Don't think so. I appreciate Mankins' on-field performance for the team and can understand his frustration. What IS disappointing is his insulting, irresponsible, and destructive comments. IF Mankins actually wanted to be traded, the process could have been more easily facilitated if he had chosen to keep his comments private and communicate to the organization through proper channels. As one who has dealt with contract negotiations in the business world for many years, his negotiating team, i.e., agent, never should have left his client psychologically unprepared to adequately deal with the apparent current impasse. Now, in order to effect a solution, both sides have to repair the damage done before even beginning to resolve what was the primary objective, addressing Mankins' contract issues. My impression of the man was that he seemed to be relatively mature and thoughtful in his approach with the media, so , in that regard, his comments were disappointing.

or maybe he does get it and knows he can get more somewhere else

Yeah, like from one of the 31 other teams grappling with the potential for a lockout and no idea what a new CBA might entail who could have signed him to an offer sheet at any point during the last couple of months if they hadn't been so preoccupied dealing with their own contratual malcontents...

Yeah, like from one of the 31 other teams grappling with the potential for a lockout and no idea what a new CBA might entail who could have signed him to an offer sheet at any point during the last couple of months if they hadn't been so preoccupied dealing with their own contratual malcontents...

hasn't stopped some of them from big contract signings.

no matter. any way this is spun, it cripples the pats chances for the coming year

Your basic Jet fan mentality...

these jet fan comments only show your stupidity and lack of ability to disagree without being a dope

in that regard, you sound more like a jet fan than anyone else

these jet fan comments only show your stupidity and lack of ability to disagree without being a dope

in that regard, you sound more like a jet fan than anyone else
Real shame about PatsWickedPissah having some sort of established credibility around here then isn't it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are we now thinking that the patriots give honest statements with regard to the details of negotiations? Why would you think that any public statements made by the parties in a negotiations are truthful?

So who's lying, Mankin$ or Bill?

Real shame about PatsWickedPissah having some sort of established credibility around here then isn't it. :rolleyes:

credibility? with comments like that? maybe with the rest of the set who hold hands and think pure thoughts

Bruschi gets it:

Bruschi: Mankins situation could get ugly - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

It's too bad that so many in the fan base don't seem to.

We have to listen to Bruschi; he's smart and he played with the guy.

He did say that he doesn't expect to see Mankins "in a Patriot uniform anytime soon." He either misspoke and meant to say "ever again," or he's hedging his bet and leaving the door open.

I'll take this as a strong indication that things might indeed be over with Logan, but it won't change my view that it is a mistake.

I hope that this is not irreconcilable.

Mankins may want out now, but it's still possible he can come to a deal.
New England may have reduced the tender, but they can still negotiate.

I think reducing the deal is spiteful. Just because Mankins has refused a very generous offer doesn't mean he isn't worth $3mm under the tender. In the worst case, NE could have paid him $3mm, franchised him, and traded him, just as many other players have been franchised and traded (including Cassel and Tebucky Jones with the Pats). If the Pats believe that Mankins is worth $7mm a year, then one year at $3mm plus trade value is a lot of extra value.

It's not spiteful, it is using the leverage granted to them by the NFLPA in the CBA. They obviously felt he was worth 3Mil by offering him the tender that he refused to sign. Every team used it as leverage to get their guys to sign this past week and most did without a word spoken. San Diego is in the same boat with McNeil and Jackson.

Mankins might have eventually agreed to play out the year, or in the end offered to come in with an agreement not to franchise him, again like others recently (Asante Samuel, for example). Again, if he is worth $7mm, that's $4mm in value. Reducing the tender essentially loses all that value under either case. Just seems spiteful, poor business sense. We'll show you.

Promising not to franchise someone is dumb, unless you don't believe that player is worth the franchise tag price. Again, how is excercising the rights granted to them in the CBA spiteful?

Spiteful is a player that was promised to have his contract situation addressed after he plays out his rookie contract, it was, but because he overvalues himself, takes his ball and goes home!

Last edited:
credibility? with comments like that? maybe with the rest of the set who hold hands and think pure thoughts
You've been so endearing in your 70 odd posts here. You've been nothing but abrasive at best and if most people are like me, then they view you with the contempt that you deserve given your short posting history.

We're all speculating with the information that is available. We're not all being contrarian about it like you seem to enjoy. Given the landscape of past trolling, this is consistent with that behavior.

Last edited:
........Mankins was disappointed and pi$$ed off. He should have known better. Perhaps he did, perhaps he didn't. In any case, talking to the public doesn't seem at all an unreasonable tactic at this point.

The probability of his being traded and having a better long term contract seems much more likely than before his public statements.
================

I disagree about the impact of Mankins' public statements...In my experience, I have NEVER seen much good (and usually quite a bit of harm both short-term and long-term,) come out of using a public forum to air contractual differences. And IMO, the NFL is no different than any other business as far as the contract process is concerned. Mankins' statments may make a contract with the Patriots less likely, but I can guarantee, it also makes alternatives (including developing a trade agreement with another team) more difficult. His best course of action, in my experience, would have been to shut up, communicate his needs and wants to his agent, and let his agent do the work in private. While some see Mankins as standing up for his principes, I don't see any benefit to, among other things, questioning Kraft's character publicly and having people, including his current team, other teams, or the public, question his own emotional maturity and judgment.

We have to listen to Bruschi; he's smart and he played with the guy.

He did say that he doesn't expect to see Mankins "in a Patriot uniform anytime soon." He either misspoke and meant to say "ever again," or he's hedging his bet and leaving the door open.

I'll take this as a strong indication that things might indeed be over with Logan, but it won't change my view that it is a mistake.

if there was an about-face by mankins at some time and he is suddenly here, it would not be the first time such a thing has happened.

as the great bill parcells once said 'I reserve the right to change my mind'

You've been so endearing in your 70 odd posts here. You've been nothing but abrasive at best and if most people are like me, then they view you with the contempt that you deserve given your short posting history.

We're all speculating with the information that is available. We're not all being contrarian about it like you seem to enjoy. Given the landscape of past trolling, this is consistent with that behavior.

abrasive to you is anyone who questions the pats front office. the group-think that goes on around here such as the notion that mankins is automatically wrong in this situation is not my style. what can I say

Why anyone here willingly engages with Illegalcontact is beyond me? If you ignore him, he will go away.

abrasive to you is anyone who questions the pats front office. the group-think that goes on around here such as the notion that mankins is automatically wrong in this situation is not my style. what can I say
No it isn't. Abrasive to me is someone being purposely contrarian designed to annoy more than one poster and on more than one occasion.

I question the Patriots FO all the time. Mankins conduct is ill advised because of what he and his agent has said and what's evidently transpired. The size of the contract is regardless when you consider that.

Smacks of farm boy crying moo to me to be honest.

Last edited:
Why anyone here willingly engages with Illegalcontact is beyond me? If you ignore him, he will go away.

I can tell by your posting history that if you ignore me, its a net gain for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes