PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins to sign tender; Report to camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I guess he's feeling better now. Hopefully, they start working quickly on a long-term extension.

Updated: July 26, 2011, 1:49 PM ET
Sources: Pats' Logan Mankins to sign

ESPN.com news services

Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins, who held out the first half of last season, plans to sign his franchise tender and report to training camp on time with the rest of the New England Patriots, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Mankins was one of 10 named plaintiffs in the players' antitrust lawsuit against the league that was settled Monday by the owners and NFLPA.

Mankins, 29, was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots in 2005. He has been to three Pro Bowls, including 2010, despite missing the first seven games due to a prolonged holdout.

Mankins and the Patriots were at odds last summer, when the guard said he hoped to be traded because of the slow pace of negotiations on a contract extension.

Mankins was a restricted free agent -- a result of the NFL's going from a salary-cap system to an uncapped year in 2010 -- but did not sign his $3.26 million tender. That led to an extended standoff, with Mankins not reporting until the eighth game of the season. The Patriots sliced his tender to $1.54 million, which was prorated over the final nine games of the season.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss was used in this report.

Last edited:
Damn, that's a huge relief for the offensive line.

This is key if they wanted to give him a new deal. He would have to sign his tender before we could offer another contract. Maybe that happens now?

Sort of a no-brainer decision...but with that E.T. agent of his, the fact he'signed and will report is VERY good news

Pay the beast!

Last edited:
Yeah, nothing like forcing your employer to put a gun to your head so you can take home $10 million.

now sign him long term!

On a side note, looks like breaking down the franchise number for Ts, G, and Cs as separate positions didn't happen.

He'll be paid. Good news.

Albert Breer just tweeted that Vincent Jackson is doing the same with the Chargers. Wonder if these actually got something from this settlement.

Glad to see it. I always thought we should have paid him from the beginning. Hopefully a long term deal can be worked out.

Greg_A_Bedard Greg A. Bedard
Deadline to workout a multi-year deal with a franchise player, such as Logan Mankins, is 4 p.m. on Sept. 20.

$10 million guaranteed for a guard is a nice haul. It's no surprise that he'll play for that level of compensation.

10 million is too much to pass up. He's 29 but, that's still pretty young for a linemen. Hope they get a long term deal done now.

now sign him long term!

On a side note, looks like breaking down the franchise number for Ts, G, and Cs as separate positions didn't happen.

Is this confirmed? Have any reporters actually gotten a copy of the CBA yet. At this point it just seems like little trinkets of info are being obtained and reported on. Also that pdf file from a random part of the espn website which no reporter has even accredited yet (the jets/raiders get to cheat one).

This is key if they wanted to give him a new deal. He would have to sign his tender before we could offer another contract. Maybe that happens now?

one can only hope......it's getting to that time for the pats to crap or get off the pot regarding an extension for him......they won't tag him again next year.......

I do find it somewhat bothersome that he is getting more in this year than he has gotten in his previous 6 years combined....the pats got an all-pro OG at a great bargain and don't seem to want to recognize that

Albert Breer just tweeted that Vincent Jackson is doing the same with the Chargers. Wonder if these actually got something from this settlement.

I think it's simply the huge money difference between the RFA tenders they had and the Franchise tenders. They really had very little to lose last year. Walking away from 10 mill on the other hand...

10 million is too much to pass up. He's 29 but, that's still pretty young for a linemen. Hope they get a long term deal done now.

He should tell the Patriots that he'd be glad to talk about an extension that kicks in after his franchise season.

Yeah, nothing like forcing your employer to put a gun to your head so you can take home $10 million.

Especially when it's only 25% of your real market value. With one bad step, one freak concussion, one freak injury your career and lifetime earning potential is over. I don't know about you, but if there was a chance that everyday I showed up to work I could suffer a freak lobotomy I would want to get as much guranteed money as possible.

... if there was a chance that everyday I showed up to work I could suffer a freak lobotomy I would want to get as much guranteed money as possible.

I have many work days when I feel like I have already suffered a freak lobotomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes