PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins to sign tender; Report to camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you're most likely wrong on what the Patriots would be looking for, and seem to have missed the point I was making about an extension as opposed to a new deal, let's just end this line of talk right here.

Since you are definitely wrong about what Mankins would be looking for, ok.

kinda surprised but then I'm not. Mankins and Jackson came off looking like complete ***es after the agreement. That extra monetary request came from somewhere and even if Mankins didn't make the request directly, if somebody is using your name as a leveraging point, you make sure your in your loop.

Kraft came off looking like a complete savior with all the accolades by those involved including the players.

If Mankins tried to play the "owner lied to me" card again, I'm fairly positive that he would be skewered by the fans and media so he really had no other options but to take the 10 milliion this year.

After this lockout fiasco, Kraft now appears as one of the few sincere owners in the NFL.

I could see 2 scenarios happening:

1. Mankins signs the tender and gets a long term deal. (what I want to happen)

2. Mankins signs the tender so he could be traded. This scenario i could see happening and if this is the scenario that happens then where would we trade him to and what would we get for him? If this does happen, I am hoping for Mankins to Dallas for Ware.
Why do so many fans offer this ludicrous scenario.

Why would Dallas or any team for that matter, trade the rarest NFL commodity on defense, a great pass rusher; for what is arguably the most easily position to replace Both are top 5 talents at what they do, BUT they do different things. Don't get me wrong. Its a trade I'd do in a second. However this proposal is akin to Sox fans offering Diaske Matsuzaka for Cliff Lee

There's a really easy way to make sure Mankins gets his money, but has a lower cap hit. Personally, I think he'll get around $30M/4yrs. Give him a $10M "sorry for screwing you over" signing bonus along with a $4M salary, and his cap hit goes down to $6.5M, but he's bringing home $14M in year 1.

Now that the sides of the labor dispute have compromised after some serious name-calling and mistrust, it would be classless for Mankins to hold out in a huff over perceived past slights. The point is only strengthened by the death of Mrs. Kraft and also by Mr. Kraft's great contributions to the labor negotiation.

He has every right to make whatever he feels is the right business/job decision for him, including playing out a one-year tender if that's what he chooses. But he should do it with a smile.

Especially when it's only 25% of your real market value. With one bad step, one freak concussion, one freak injury your career and lifetime earning potential is over.

I'm not sure about "lifetime earning potential" but can't these guys take out insurance riders that cover a career ending injury and the loss of income?

Granted their premium might be a bit higher than my life insurance, but they can protect themselves and still pocket nearly all of the $10 million I think (I'm no insurance expert)

All I know is that to me the Mankins situation is like our WR issue.

Have the Patriots shown that they can win without a deep threat WR? Yes.

Did that lack of a deep WR hurt them in the playoffs? Yes.

Have the Patriots proven they can win without Mankins? Yes.

Has Mankins proven that the Patriots are better with him starting (even after he sat out until November)? Yes.

I'm VERY glad to have Mankins back... I understand why he made the choice he did last year over a $3.26 million tender that was later reduced to $1.54 million

$10 million is a different animal and I think all players know its time for some healing.

Todd Light?? You mean Matt Light, right??

Nah lol I meant todd. It's kind of a patriot fan insider. During a monday night game Gruden consistently messed up Matt Light's name calling him Todd Light :p

It kind of stuck around here. :D

Nah lol I meant todd. It's kind of a patriot fan insider. During a monday night game Gruden consistently messed up Matt Light's name calling him Todd Light :p

It kind of stuck around here. :D

I remember that. The network got all sorts of calls about that from the NE fanbase and Gruden made a "I effed up, sorry 'bout that" sort of comment a couple days later. :D

Now that the sides of the labor dispute have compromised after some serious name-calling and mistrust, it would be classless for Mankins to hold out in a huff over perceived past slights. The point is only strengthened by the death of Mrs. Kraft and also by Mr. Kraft's great contributions to the labor negotiation.

He has every right to make whatever he feels is the right business/job decision for him, including playing out a one-year tender if that's what he chooses. But he should do it with a smile.

This. I agree completely. I certainly would like to see him stick around here, but bidness is bidness these days, and if he ever wants to play anywhere after here and be respected, he needs to remember it's a 2-way street.

There's a really easy way to make sure Mankins gets his money, but has a lower cap hit. Personally, I think he'll get around $30M/4yrs. Give him a $10M "sorry for screwing you over" signing bonus along with a $4M salary, and his cap hit goes down to $6.5M, but he's bringing home $14M in year 1.
How do we get the NFLPA* to pay him that 'sorry to screw you over bonus" you think he deserves? I suppose if you label it that it won't count against the PAtriots cap since they did nothing to screw him over.
Is this a part of the new CBA I missed?

How do we get the NFLPA* to pay him that 'sorry to screw you over bonus" you think he deserves? I suppose if you label it that it won't count against the PAtriots cap since they did nothing to screw him over.
Is this a part of the new CBA I missed?

Just calling it a normal signing bonus doesn't have the same effect ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back