PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins to sign tender; Report to camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new deal has to be on the way.

now sign him long term!

On a side note, looks like breaking down the franchise number for Ts, G, and Cs as separate positions didn't happen.

Apparently there is no longer any need to. There is some new formula for figuring out franchise tags that will kick in in 2012 and it is somehow tied to a % of cap. At least that was what Jeff Pash indicated last week.

He should tell the Patriots that he'd be glad to talk about an extension that kicks in after his franchise season.

LOL Only that is never what they do. They always roll the remaining season into the new deal...just as they attempted to do with his RFA season, and Brady's remaining year on his old deal.

For $10 million I think we'd all do the same. His pay was cut last year after not reporting, plus he only played in the latter half of the season, so Logan is hungry for some paychecks. Good financial decision on his part.

For $10 million I think we'd all do the same. His pay was cut last year after not reporting, plus he only played in the latter half of the season, so Logan is hungry for some paychecks. Good financial decision on his part.

He is already set for life. His farm is self-sustaining. This is a man who takes care of himself.

10m guaranteed reasons to sign. :) But glad that this is official now. So really the only signficant free agent left to worry about is Light. Also if the Pats do reach a long term deal with Mankins they should be able to get some more cap space back.

Poor Mankins..forced to sign for 10m. Guys we need to set up a suicide watch. I'll take the first shift.

A new deal has to be on the way.

10m guaranteed reasons to sign. :) But glad that this is official now. So really the only signficant free agent left to worry about is Light. Also if the Pats do reach a long term deal with Mankins they should be able to get some more cap space back.

Hopefully they work something out. Perhaps they could include some of that performance-based pay which essentially increases their cap space.

So can the franchise tag be used next year for him? That would definitely affect negotiations this year.

He should tell the Patriots that he'd be glad to talk about an extension that kicks in after his franchise season.

The Patriots would love to do such a deal.

The Patriots would love to do such a deal.

They'd want the deal to replace the franchise year, just as Mankins wanted his deal to replace the RFA deal.

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: Logan MANKINS!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Championship.

happy to see Logan back from day one !

They'd want the deal to replace the franchise year, just as Mankins wanted his deal to replace the RFA deal.

Having it kick in after the franchise would mean his signing bonus would move out to year two. I'm sure the Patriots would love that.

Last edited:
Having it kick in after the franchise would mean his signing bonus would move out to year two. I'm sure the Patriots would love that.

I doubt it, given that there would still be guaranteed money to be paid, and the $10 million cap hit would still be there in 2011.

I doubt it, given that there would still be guaranteed money to be paid, and the $10 million cap hit would still be there in 2011.

It obviously would depend on the other parameters of the deal but I'm sure that would be something they could definitely work around if it is what he really wants. The year they sign him to a long term deal, they are going to pay him a lot more than $10m. In any event, why would Mankins want to push out his signing bonus to next year?

the idea would be to make the deal now to reduce the cap number, giving the team more flexibility.

I could see 2 scenarios happening:

1. Mankins signs the tender and gets a long term deal. (what I want to happen)

2. Mankins signs the tender so he could be traded. This scenario i could see happening and if this is the scenario that happens then where would we trade him to and what would we get for him? If this does happen, I am hoping for Mankins to Dallas for Ware.

the idea would be to make the deal now to reduce the cap number, giving the team more flexibility.

This. I would love to see this done now so we could talk about a possible veteran RG replacement for neal and/or a Todd Light extension. Pay this man.

BTW. Glad to be back on patsfans was pretting depressing only coming on to read/discuss the lockout; hope everybody's well.

It obviously would depend on the other parameters of the deal but I'm sure that would be something they could definitely work around if it is what he really wants. The year they sign him to a long term deal, they are going to pay him a lot more than $10m. In any event, why would Mankins want to push out his signing bonus to next year?

Since you're most likely wrong on what the Patriots would be looking for, and seem to have missed the point I was making about an extension as opposed to a new deal, let's just end this line of talk right here.

This. I would love to see this done now so we could talk about a possible veteran RG replacement for neal and/or a Todd Light extension. Pay this man.

BTW. Glad to be back on patsfans was pretting depressing only coming on to read/discuss the lockout; hope everybody's well.

Todd Light?? You mean Matt Light, right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes