PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins 'So Mad He Can't See Straight'

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's Logan Mankins worth? - Extra Points - Boston.com

This has a synopsis of other guards are being paid. Mankins must be looking for 7-8 mil/ with 20m guaranteed. That's not out of whack league wide but it may be more than the Pats have budgeted for the position.

Evans' deal really wasn't all that out-of-whack when compared to the best guard deals of the last half-decade. Consider the numbers ...

Jahri Evans, Saints (2010): 7 years, $56.7 million, $19 million guaranteed
Alan Faneca, Jets (2008): 4 years, $32 million, $23 million guaranteed
Eric Steinbach, Browns (2008): 7 years, $49.5 million, $17 million guaranteed
Leonard Davis, Cowboys (2007): 7 years, $49.6 million, $18.75 million guaranteed
Kris Dielman, Chargers (2007): 6 years, $39 million, $17 million guaranteed
Derrick Dockery, Bills (2007): 7 years, $49 million, $18.5 million guaranteed
Steve Hutchinson, Vikings (2006): 7 years, $49 million, $16 million guaranteed

Evans and Faneca, signing the two most recent of these contracts, got an AAV of $8 million or so on their deals. The other five we listed there all had numbers at or near $7 million per year.

The franchise tag value for offensive linemen in 2009 was $8.451m. The transition tag value was $7.744m. Evan just got an $8m a year contract with $19m guaranteed. Mankins is probably going to use that deal as the measuring stick, rather than the Amano deal.

My best guess in this whole situation is that the team is probably going to want to get to the Brady deal first and then deal with Mankins afterward. That's just a guess, though.

Looking at that list of recent high-end guard contracts, I see a lot of bad deals. The only two guys on this list, IMO, worthy of their contract are Hutchinson and Evans. I would not put Mankins in the same category as those two.

Personally, I don't expect the team to shell that kind of money out for an interior lineman. If Mankins demands that kind of money, and he should for his sake, he's gone.

Re: Mankins Is So Mad He Can't See Straight?

Sounds like a negotiation tactic to me. I'll withhold judgment.

Yup.

Mankins himself is being well schooled on just how to posture as well. I don't doubt he'll go out of his way to tell folks how insulted he is.

Yet at the end of the day he -they - and we - all know it's just business.

Mankins will stay away from camp - and truly none of us should blame him. It's his leverage and he's going to use it, and if it were me I'd minimize a risk to injury for myself too.

The team has a figure in mind of what Mankins is worth. If he's asking for too much more than that they won't pay it and hold the option of tagging him.

That's their leverage and they'll use it if need be.

It is what it is.

Mankins is a good player but I just don't see the Pats being willing to pay him 8 million per year. This is just a guess but I'd be very surprised if the Pats had that dollar value on the position.
How much did Assante want per year?

One of the reasons Brady took less on his contract last time was to leave money for other players. If the Patriots let Mankins go,why would Brady give them a discount? Who is more important to a qb than Mankins?Kraft is cheap, that is the real reason.

Mankins may be "tossing cows", but his agent seems to be tossing "bull s---", or my name isn't Caf.

and my name isn't "feine"...so...there you have it

cup-of-coffee.jpg

Last edited:
Miguel is our cap expert, but let me asssure you that we can afford an $8M poer year, 5 year contract for Mankins.

CONTRACT
$22M bonus
salaries of $2M, $2.6M, $3.4M, $4.4M, $5.6M
His 2010 "cap" would be $6.4M compared to Koppen's $5.0M
The annual increase in cap would be relatively small, growing about 50% over the 5 years.
==================================

OUR OFFENSIVE LINE SITUATION
1) Mankins would get paid a bit more than Koppen in this scenario. Otherwise, we might as well trade him now or sign him to a one year deal.
2) We currently have Koppen at $5.0M and Neal at $2.6M. I suspect that they will both be replaced by rookies (or players on rookie contracts) in 2011 or 2012. Even using 2nd rounders would cost about $1M a year per player. Prospects currently on the roster would cost even less.
3) We are in fine situation at OT. We have Vollmer, Kaczur and Levior at a total of $5.0M a year. If we choose to extend Light, I don't him or his roster replacement costing his current cap hit of $4.5M. His roster replacement would likely be a RT, not an expensive proposition.

The total cost of the two interior line players would be under $2.5M a year instead of the $7.6M we currently pay. Even if one of these is extended, there is plenty of room in the OL budget for Mankins.

Can someone who is up to speed with the Pats' cap situation help out here? Can they actually afford to give a huge deal to a guard?

In the next few years they have to pay Brady, perhaps as many as two #1 picks next year (including one high one), Gostkowski, and maybe they do a new deal for Welker and/or Moss. If you're going to dump a lot of money on the offensive line, I expect you'd probably want to invest in another tackle to play across from Vollmer after Light leaves. How about trading him for Jared Gaither?

Then again, with Neal and Koppen heading toward the end, they do need someone to anchor the interior. Just not sure that would be the first place I'd spend my money.

One of the reasons Brady took less on his contract last time was to leave money for other players. If the Patriots let Mankins go,why would Brady give them a discount? Who is more important to a qb than Mankins?Kraft is cheap, that is the real reason.

Kraft spends extremely close to the cap year after year ... get a clue.

Mankins is one guy on our team whose perceived value clearly outweighs his actual value. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player. But when Stephen Neal is healthy, he plays at a higher level than Mankins, IMO.

If Mankins hadn't originally been drafted in the 1st round, I doubt we'd hear that much about him nationally - and I highly doubt he'd be a 2 time Pro Bowler. He's a solid player who has name recognition thanks to having been a 1st round guard (before 1st round guards were in the "in" thing).

Couldn't disagree more. Mankins is a terrific player, a top-tier guard in the league.

Oh no, an interior lineman thinks the bank should be broken for him. Yeah right! Mankins, you're not as good as your agent is telling you that you are. Don't sign the tender, and cut your pay in half, fool.

Yup.

Mankins himself is being well schooled on just how to posture as well. I don't doubt he'll go out of his way to tell folks how insulted he is

He just did through his agent. :confused:

The next step in the negotiation is punching Kraft in the nuts.

If the above numbers on Jahri Evans are correct, he gets $7/$56.7, but only $19M is guaranteed. I'd give Mankins that deal, unless there's an option bonus in year 2 or 3 that increase the guaranteed $$. If the market for guards keeps going up for the next 2-3 years, then it's a good deal. If it levels off or goes down, sayonara.

Mankins is solid, but not an all-pro. Take a look at the tape from SB42 before punching his ticket for Canton.

Last edited:
He is our best lineman. That doesn't mean we have to pay him a ridiculous amount of money, but he should get significantly more than any other OL we have. When Vollmer's rookie contract expires, I expect to say the same thing. It is a cyclical thing - once we have to break the bank for SeaBass, Mankins' contract will look like a bargain. There is nothing wrong with giving him a hefty contract... maybe 6 mil/year. Spending the money far outweighs what the O-line would be without him.

I'm going out on a limb because I haven't bothered to check what Light is making right now... and, I forget, how much did we waste on Kazcur's contract?

This.
I wonder if we'll pay? Where are "The Bearded Brothers" :bricks:

That's one way to play hardball :cool:

If the above numbers on Jahri Evans are correct, he gets $7/$56.7, but only $19M is guaranteed. I'd give Mankins that deal, unless there's an option bonus in year 2 or 3 that increase the guaranteed $$. If the market for guards keeps going up for the next 2-3 years, then it's a good deal. If it levels off or goes down, sayonara.

Mankins is solid, but not an all-pro. Take a look at the tape from SB42 before punching his ticket for Canton.

The whole O-Line failed in Super Bowl XLII. The right side of the line was the biggest problem in that contest due in large part to Neal breaking his leg.

yeah...play hardballs with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back