PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about the end of Super Bowl 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if there are 2 or 3 seconds left........the pats squib kick it.........it touches a ram and game over...........

I do believe there should have been a second or 2 given the way it turned out......but I don't believe that a kickoff can be downed that fast as to have any time left for a play
They don't have to down it and run a play. Why would they do that? They can pick up the squib kick or deep kick or onsides kick and return the kick for a TD and win the game.

If the Pats are kicking off, the play isn't dead when the ball touches a Ram. They can touch a ball, fumble it, pick it up, run with it, lateral it, whatever they want until they are tackled, run out of bounds or score.

That's the whole point. With two seconds left, they 'could' have done something. Not likely, but remember the music city miracle.

I remember that the league changed the rule after the game. I thought it was a five second runoff for a FG, but it could be four as the other poster said.

My reaction?

"What the hell is Lonnie doing, simulating his Snow Angel celebration, when we still have to kickoff??? That's gonna cost us 10 yards!!!.......whooooaaaaaa.......there's confetti, the games's over?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!, Naw, they're gonna have a tough time calling everyone back on the field for the kickoff".

The bruhhah from post-sb36 might have been part of the reason the refs were so anal about having one more play at the end of the sb with the Giants.

exactly. I thought the same thing after SB42, most non pats fans complain about BB and some of the pats leaving the field, but the game was over, just like in SB36. The Pats basically "yielded" the last play by walking off the field, and some though it was poor sportsmanship. But thoughts of SB 36 rang thru my head.

There was 2 secs on the clock when the ball went thru. the uprights, which i think is the time in which the play is then dead. so the pats needed to kick off. But much like the pats in SB42, the Rams yielded the last play of the game which would of been a sqib kick. I remember thinking it was not over, but when i saw Mike M. the coach of the Rams crossing the field, then i knew it was over as only they could complain and did not, or did and was unsuccussful..

It was not fair to the Rams, and I am glad that we don't get a lot of flak from non pats fans complaining about it . . .

What if a few weeks later, you suddenly see local village natives walking around wearing Pats SB Champs hats and T-shirts? That would be an even worse way to find out.

:rofl:

Yup, you win, that's gotta be a more painful way to learn the outcome.

As I said, the replay clearly shows the clock stopping on 4 seconds for about 3 seconds and then it starting again and going down to zero. That's why the time clicked off the clock.

The other thing to remember is that the clocks are NOT the official times. One of the officiating crew is responsible for that. And the officials were the ones who called the game over.

Well I guess there is not much us Pats fans can say about this gripe. It's legitimate.
Now can we talk about the sloppy time keeping at the end of SB XLII!?:D:cool:

Didn't we have to kick off after the field goal in SB 38?
Yes, there was time for one more play.
The game ended when Matt Chatham tackled Rod "He Hate Me" Smart on that kickoff.

That Rams fan who built the Superbowl 36 conspiracy web site always points this out. At the time I was too busy being drunk and screaming to care.

Some ballbag Rams fan built a website about all of the conspiracy theories surrounding Super Bowl 36?

How about this; your "dynasty" was a broken tackle away from losing back to back Super Bowls on the last play.

No conspiracy there, just the facts, so b!tch all you want, won't change a thing.

I could build a Super Bowl 42 conspiracy theory website too if I wanted to; won't change the fact that we lost, so why torture myself....................

Last edited:
Some ballbag Rams fan built a website about all of the conspiracy theories surrounding Super Bowl 36?

How about this; your "dynasty" was a broken tackle away from losing back to back Super Bowls on the last play.

No conspiracy there, just the facts, so b!tch all you want, won't change a thing.

I could build a Super Bowl 42 conspiracy theory website too if I wanted to; won't change the fact that we lost, so why torture myself....................

You're a logical person and the douchebag Rams fan isn't? Seems like the most likely reason.

I met a lot of people who said we only won because of 9/11, they are all idiots, but they did exist.

I still clearly remember - being the eternal pessimist Pats fan at that time - watching that FG go through the uprights and thinking "OK it's not over, we still have to kick off to the Rams and they have playmakers".

I felt very cheated because I missed the celebration. I was waiting to celebrate after the kickoff - only there was no kickoff.

Perhaps someday I'll get to celebrate... :D

If they had a kickoff and another celebration, I think I would be dead now. We were having a mini riot in my house at the time and I was stuck on the bottom of a pig pile that I ended up getting bruised ribs. Best pain I ever felt. Next day I went to class, felt like I was in a fight with Rampage Jackson, and some girl in my first class was like "Did you watch the game last night" as I had no voice, sore, covered in Pats gear with the biggest smile ever on my face. At least my comp science teacher let me leave class to get in line for hats and t-shirts at ****s since she knew I was not in condition that day.

I believe the timing was correct according to NFL regulations.

However, soon after, the NFL changed the rule so that the clock stops the second the ball goes through the posts/hits the ground.

i have to admit to being utterly shocked that the kick was actually good after 42 years (pretty much my whole life) of having never won the big one.

I was there and it was good and the next thing I remember was being on bourbon street celebrating long into the night..........

I met a lot of people who said we only won because of 9/11, they are all idiots, but they did exist.
I live and work in an area with a lot of fans from all over the country. I recall hearing when one person (a Browns fan) started talking about that, I'm fairly certain it was in 2003, though it may have been after SB 38. Everyone ridiculed him - fans of the Eagles, Steelers, Giants, Jets, Dolphins, etc. Four years later he brought it up again and lo and behold, many, if not most of those very same fans were agreeing with his conspiracy theory.

I suppose it is similar to the idea of finding stats to prove your theory, rather than looking at stats to reach a conclusion. There was more than one pats fan that came to the conclusion that the 'NFL didn't want us to win' sixteen months ago too.

intentially being an ass but when you use the phrase just the facts and you get the facts wrong thats not good. The Rams won SB 34 and lost 36. The Ravens won 35.

I really hate that so many people are always trying to discredit the Patriots' championships. Even before Spygate it seemed like so many people were intent on finding ways to make the Patriots Super Bowls look worthless. It's annoying.

I don't get how potentially losing a few seconds really makes a difference anyway. Do people really think the Rams would have run a squib kick back for a TD? Come on. Rams fans need to just accept that they were shut down for most of that game and if they truly deserved to win, they would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hate that so many people are always trying to discredit the Patriots' championships. Even before Spygate it seemed like so many people were intent on finding ways to make the Patriots Super Bowls look worthless. It's annoying.

I don't get how potentially losing a few seconds really makes a difference anyway. Do people really think the Rams would have run a squib kick back for a TD? Come on. Rams fans need to just accept that they were shut down for most of that game and if they truly deserved to win, they would have.

All Spygate did was give the haters a reason to keep hating. People have been saying the titles were tainted because of the tuck rule and or 9/11 for years. Then they wonder why we get defensive, it's amazing. Also amazing is that no one seems to point out that if the camera was such a distinct advantage why is it that we had a better record in 07 and 08 than we did in 05 and 06? Schedule and injuries are a factor sure, but the fact is that in 2006, seemingly with the camera, we blew the biggest lead in post season history and in 2008 without we went 11-5 with our backup QB and probably would have made the AFC title game if not for being the only 11-5 team ever to miss the playoffs in the 6 team format.

All Spygate did was give the haters a reason to keep hating. People have been saying the titles were tainted because of the tuck rule and or 9/11 for years. Then they wonder why we get defensive, it's amazing. Also amazing is that no one seems to point out that if the camera was such a distinct advantage why is it that we had a better record in 07 and 08 than we did in 05 and 06? Schedule and injuries are a factor sure, but the fact is that in 2006, seemingly with the camera, we blew the biggest lead in post season history and in 2008 without we went 11-5 with our backup QB and probably would have made the AFC title game if not for being the only 11-5 team ever to miss the playoffs in the 6 team format.

I just call them what they are...Sore Sports.:)

You're a logical person and the douchebag Rams fan isn't? Seems like the most likely reason.

I live in the real world, not a fantasy world where there was a conspiracy towards the Rams in Super Bowl 36.

Sounds like you hang around with some real fruitloops too by the way.

"We won because of 9/11."

Ok then.

Do they hang out at area 51 too?

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft