PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl 51 Game winning drive

I was there.

There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think, "28-3, man....."
Me too. With my father and life long family friend. I got see the first 3 wins in person too. Once in a lifetime lol.

Shanahan's blunder in the SF Super Bowl was not running it more with a ten point lead. They could not be stopped on the ground. Just a miserable job in the crunch.
The 49ers had your Chiefs dead to rights until that 3rd and long where Mahomes launched it to Hill in a busted coverage which changed the game. Emmanuel Mosley was horrible all year long and it reared it's ugly head late in the game where he took the wrong guy and let Hill bust loose. They finally got rid of him. Richard Sherman also got torched after that. The 49ers secondary has been a weakness since they've been good starting in 2019.

Following that Chiefs TD drive, Shanahan called two passes after getting a 6 yard gain on 1st down. He's a great offensive mind, but he freaks out in big moments.

The 49ers had your Chiefs dead to rights until that 3rd and long where Mahomes launched it to Hill in a busted coverage which changed the game. Emmanuel Mosley was horrible all year long and it reared it's ugly head late in the game where he took the wrong guy and let Hill bust loose. They finally got rid of him. Richard Sherman also got torched after that. The 49ers secondary has been a weakness since they've been good starting in 2019.

Following that Chiefs TD drive, Shanahan called two passes after getting a 6 yard gain on 1st down. He's a great offensive mind, but he freaks out in big moments.
I blame Shanahan for that loss. Nobody else. Every coach in that situation keeps running the ball up ten. It's working. It's bleeding the clock.

>running ball to burn clock, lose to Tom Brady
“They played to lose.”

>play aggressive to try and keep scoring against the GOAT, but lose anyway
“They should have run the ball and burned clock.”

I blame Shanahan for that loss. Nobody else. Every coach in that situation keeps running the ball up ten. It's working. It's bleeding the clock.
I also credit Andy Reid being so aggressive relentlessly going for it on 4th down in that game. That was shocking as he was known to be a horrible clock manager and conservative play caller.

Shanahan lost his mind after the miraculous catch by Julio Jones along the sidelines. That put the Falcons on the NE 22 with 4:47 left, up eight points. Matt Bryant was a Pro Bowler that year and was 31/32 from inside 50 yards. The game was over if they just played for a field goal.

The Panthers had no business coming back and taking the lead twice down 21-10 in Super Bowl 38. The Colts had no business coming back in the 2006 AFCCG when they were down 21-6 at halftime or even the Giants down 17-9 in Super Bowl 46.
And they wouldn't have were it not for a virus that went through the Pats locker room.

And they wouldn't have were it not for a virus that went through the Pats locker room.
There were a lot of things that happened that day. The Colts were accused of cranking up the heat for who knows why, pumping in crowd noise and got a critical call that was made up by the refs (face guarding) which ignited their comeback. There was no such thing as that and I to this day think it’s bizarre how Phil Simms knew what they were going to call that penalty. It was a 3rd down that would’ve forced the Colts to punt.

However, Manning smelled the blood in the water and threw to any TE on the field as they didn’t have anyone to defend it. This was the infamous Eric Alexander game and the main reason Adalius Thomas was signed in 2007.

In addition, the Pats didn’t have enough firepower to put the game out of reach during their comeback.

Last edited:
There were a lot of things that happened that day. The Colts were accused of cranking up the heat for who knows why, pumping in crowd noise and got a critical call that was made up by the refs (face guarding) which ignited their comeback. There was no such thing as that and I to this day think it’s bizarre how Phil Simms knew what they were going to call that penalty. It was a 3rd down that would’ve forced the Colts to punt.

However, Manning smelled the blood in the water and threw to any TE on the field as they didn’t have anyone to defend it. This was the infamous Eric Alexander game and the main reasond Adalius Thomas was signed in 2007.

In addition, the Pats didn’t have enough firepower to put the game out of reach during their comeback.

Bug Eyes didn’t help

There were a lot of things that happened that day. The Colts were accused of cranking up the heat for who knows why,
Because the Colts were wearing those mesh like breathable see through jerseys which I did not believe were even legal. I was there and it was like a nursing home in that dump. The previous week I went to the 14 - 2 Chargers lights out game where Marty choked again. You never saw a stadium and parking lot clear out so fast.
pumping in crowd noise
Also true. The tape or something go stuck at one point to where it was repeating itself like a broken record.
and got a critical call that was made up by the refs (face guarding) which ignited their comeback. There was no such thing as that and I to this day think it’s bizarre how Phil Simms knew what they were going to call that penalty. It was a 3rd down that would’ve forced the Colts to punt.

However, Manning smelled the blood in the water and threw to any TE on the field as they didn’t have anyone to defend it. This was the infamous Eric Alexander game and the main reasond Adalius Thomas was signed in 2007.

Pats had the ball driving and they line up and to Bradys right side the WR has nobody on him. The Colts noticed their mistake and got a man over there.

It was a walk in TD if Brady looked to the right, but he never did.

People blast the Falcons for this game, but honestly look at Brady’s throws. Its not like anybody here or most of the 2nd half was wide open(i can only think of the big pass to dola before the 2 min warning). Plus covering edelman and amendola for what was it 80 plays has gotta be exhausting.

Really the only major mistake they made was taking a bad sack. Of course freeman had the blown block on ht but every team has several blown assignments per game. The patriots just went into total beastmode at one point.
TBH, I still feel a little sympathy for the Falcons fans. That's the worst loss in NYFL history, just ahead of the Seattle loss two years earlier.

Another mistake that I think Atlanta made was not using the clock more in the last quarter. They were snapping the ball with too many seconds left on most plays.

And wtf were they doing passing the ball after the Jones catch? That situation screamed for 3 kneel downs and a game-ending 40 yard FG.

I was there too. My 2nd Pats Super Bowl in Phoenix. I drove there as well and arrived 7 days before the game. I watched the game at the Phoenix Pats fan bar.

I heard about the whole fiasco. Hoards of Pats fans in NE bought tix online to be delivered in Arizona. So, they booked hotel, rental car, flights, the whole shebang. Little did they know that Seahawks fans flooded Phoenix and would pay any price. I heard of NE fans playing $3000 per ticket only to be sold out by the broker who sold their ticket to a Seahawk fan for $9000. Some brokers refunded the NE fans $3000 plus an inconvenience fee and kept the balance.

True story, the day of the game a woman from Seattle paid $25,000 per ticket for her and her son to sit lower 50 yard line.

I did not go to that Super Bowl.

To be honest I was getting burnt out on going to Super Bowls having attended 7.
I didn't know that the Jets were in 7 SBs. :)

I was there.

There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think, "28-3, man....."

That makes a difference. I can't imagine the emotions you must have gone through, even more so with the time/money investment involved. I've been to four Patriots Super Bowls and remember each like it was yesterday. Wish I would've gone to that one, too. I recall watching it on TV and thinking re. 28-3, "Well, maybe they can score a touchdown or two and at least appear respectable." Of course, at that point I was OK with not being there. Then the impossible happened.

My son ran out of the room at 28- 3. I went after him and said "Firstly, its not over yet. and secondly you don't quit on your team. Come back and watch. Stranger things have happened" Thank you Pats for proving me right in front of my son. First and last time...

I see Mac Jones making only a small fraction of these throws.

My father told me he went to bed at 28-3 all disgusted then the next morning heard “the Super Bowl champion, New England Patriots” on a TV in a gas station the next morning and couldn’t believe it.

Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

TBH, I still feel a little sympathy for the Falcons fans. That's the worst loss in NYFL history, just ahead of the Seattle loss two years earlier.

Another mistake that I think Atlanta made was not using the clock more in the last quarter. They were snapping the ball with too many seconds left on most plays.

And wtf were they doing passing the ball after the Jones catch? That situation screamed for 3 kneel downs and a game-ending 40 yard FG.

Correct, I forgot about snapping the ball with 20 plus seconds left. Definitely a tactical error. The playcalling after the jones catch was controversial but heres why it wasn’t a bad call. A 40 yd fg is no gimme even with a reliable kicker. Ill give a couple examples that come to mind right away:

2012 we are playing the cardinals down by 2 late. We have first down on their 23 yard line with 48 seconds left. We take a knee thinking the same thing everyone blasting the Falcons is thinking and spike the ball with 5 seconds. Ghost misses the 40 yd kick and we lose. I think everyone here can agree ghost is as solid as it comes but he blew the 40 yarder.

2004 playoff jets have the ball late tied with Pittsburgh. 1st down on the steeler 26 with 1:17 left. Same strategy instead of trying to move closer with normal playcalling. 2 conservative runs that gain a few yards, brien misses a 43 yard fg and jets lose in ot. Brien was 10/11 between 40-49 yards that year.

Hindsight is 20/20 and the falcons were correct to try their best to move the ball. Ryan just executed poorly and made the mistake taking the sack.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back