Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
More pure disprespeck for Brady...

Writer: Tom Brady's Arm Strength Declining, Super Bowl Was 'By Far His Worst Game Of The Season'

Now, here in the summer of 2017, Cian Fahey from Pre-Snap Reads is stepping to the plate.

Fahey — who has an extensive background covering football for Bleacher Report, Football Outsiders, and Rotoworld, Sports On Earth — wrote an article examining the problems facing older quarterbacks in the NFL. That crop included the soon-to-be-40-year-old Tom Brady. (The story ran on June 29 but started making the rounds in Boston this week.)

Fahey uses “interceptable passes” to evaluate quarterbacks, and even though Brady threw just seven interceptable passes in his 12 regular-season games, he was charted as having thrown nine interceptable passes in three playoff games.

Without a doubt, the win over the Texans was an ugly one, with Brady going 18-for-38 for 287 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs. That came against the NFL’s No. 2-ranked pass defense. And surely, Brady had his downs in Super Bowl LI vs. the Falcons, including a bad decision that led to his first-ever postseason pick-six.

But where Fahey is going to lose a lot of folks is when he writes this: “The Patriots won the Super Bowl so Brady got all the plaudits. Yet it was by far his worst game of the season. He repeatedly tried to give the game away.”

Oh, but wait. There's more pure and utter trash where this came from. If you thought the above was horrendously bad, read this...

But why, then, does Fahey by necessity tie these interceptable passes to an “abrupt drop in arm strength”?

“There might have been some credence to the idea that Brady’s suspension to start the season worked in his favour,” Fahey wrote. “Had he been tasked with playing four more games before the Super Bowl last year, his arm strength would have been pushed right to its limit.”

Looks like Fahey, whoever he is, is trying to be this year's Monson. I have to think that he wrote this in order to get his name out there. Usually, I'm not one to reward writers like him, but in this case I figured I would make an exception.

And now this putz is throwing a hissy fit with Michael Hurley over Twitter...

I still have nightmares about the pass on the second to last play to Bennett that could have been picked. Other than that -- awesome in the 4th quarter.

It's a garbage analysis even still. Technically, every pass a quarterback makes in the NFL can be considered an "interceptable" pass. Most quarterbacks, especially stationary pocket passers, are going to have trouble with consistent pressure up the A and B gaps. Brady, in his absolute prime (and with an undefeated football team) lost the Super Bowl because of that reason. His arm strength weakening certainly wasn't a reason for looking mortal in the first half. It was that he was getting dry humped up and down the field by Jarrett until the Pats adjusted and Jarrett became gassed.

I'm glad I could help you.

You actually didn't. There isn't a link to the actual article anywhere. Just Hurley roasting his article.

“The Patriots won the Super Bowl so Brady got all the plaudits. Yet it was by far his worst game of the season. He repeatedly tried to give the game away.”

Well there were certainly instances but if his arm is tired, it is from the weight of his rings.

"Losing arm strength" - 4th quarter bullets in the third to last drive - a rope to Mitchell followed by another rope to Amendola in the end zone. He was accurate as all hell in the 4th quarter and OT. Here are Brady's best passes - most of which come in the 4th and OT, when his arms should have been tired. Brady threw 63 (!) passes.

Pretty sure we discussed this "article" a couple of months ago on this forum.

Exactly

I've watched the SB at least 5 times from start to finish and there's nothing that jumps out.

Every single QB, young & old, has a few throws that make you scratch your head but I see absolutely no arm decline with Tom.

When Rodgers or other QBs throws a pick, it's the receivers running bad routes or too much pressure.

When Brady throws a pick he sucks, has fallen off a cliff and needs to retire.

images

An interceptable pass in my view is one that is in and out of the hands of a defender (or hits both hands, has to be catchable)not one that is tipped or grazes a defenders out stretched hand. I saw mostly accurate passes with a couple of really hard passes to intercept, one nearly impossible(2nd last play), which is why they weren't intercepted. But it's the SB and we need dramatic ....

How the hell was Beasly going to intercept that last pass? Maybe if he were Randy Moss.

Let's forget about Matty ICE chucking the ball into our guys hands at the end, Hey it could've been returned for a TD? Duh... If he were just a little more in bounds.

This is an old topic.

When he first entered the league, he needed strength and better throwing mechanics as is arm strength was very average.

He improved in all areas and while not gifted with a John Elway type arm, displayed excellent arm strength.

I suppose if you clocked him throwing a baseball or football as hard as he could 30 times when he was 29 and asked him to do the same thing last year you might see a slight degredation. People get older and they lose the ability to recover quickly. It is what it is. The issue is his job does not require him to throw as hard as he can 40 times a game.

When he starts throwing like Peyton did two years ago then let me know

Fahey is another one of the idiots that Aaron Schatz hires because Schatz pisses his pants every day worrying about someone calling him a NE homer, so he overcompensates by hiring utter losers like Fahey and Kacsmar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back