PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pot Roast visiting - (UPDATED - He's Reportedly Joining the Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Ian Rapoport, there is an additional $2M in playing time incentives and $500K in Pro Bowl incentives, neither of which are considered likely to be earned for cap purposes. That's where the $4.55M came from. No detail on what those playing time incentives are, except that he couldn't have met them last year for them to be NLTBE.

That's a sensible contract number for him. $4.5M seemed too high, but as is usually the case, the actual contract numbers tell a different story than what's initially reported.

Given the guaranteed money and signing bonus for Pot Roast, this is a great deal for the team as it is incentive-laden.

He didn't maximize his money, the pats offered him more than what he signed for with Denver.

Well, that's not true, but I suppose if it were then I can get on board with hating him. Yes, hating him because he signed with a rival isn't petty or childish at all. Not at all.

Wes gave his all for this team for years, few have ever played harder. And people feel that him signing with the Broncos is worthy of an emotion that adults should be adept at not harboring. It's ridiculous.

Well, that's not true, but I suppose if it were then I can get on board with hating him. Yes, hating him because he signed with a rival isn't petty or childish at all. Not at all.

Wes gave his all for this team for years, few have ever played harder. And people feel that him signing with the Broncos is worthy of an emotion that adults should be adept at not harboring. It's ridiculous.

I never said he didn't and I enjoyed watching him and I wished he didn't go to Denver and sttod with the pats. The pats reportedly offered him more money than what he got by going to Denver. He wanted more than what the pats offered, and he thought he could get it. He ended up not judging his market correctly and by the time he came back to the pats they had already moved on to Amendola. I don't hate him at all, he wanted to sign here the pats are the ones who moved on.

I think the breakdown in Welkers relationship with Belichick came when he rejected the 2/16 deal they offered and then signed the Franchise tag worth almost 10 million. Although I was out front in arguing that Belichick had lowballed Welker and that he was worth much more than they offered it turned that that Belichick was right about the market and about how much time Welker would play. I looked at it in terms of both his production and his value to Brady as his quick release and felt he was going to get much more on the open market, and Belichick knew that Weller would get more than they were offering in that years open market so he had to go along with the tag until he found a replacement for him, and he felt that Welker had hamstrung them by signing the tag and never forgave him for it. That's one reason Belichick would not budge off his offer the following year because when all was said and done he wasn't going to let him get a dime more than they offered the year before, and in his mind Welker had already used 10 million of it. Although slot receivers are not valued the way other receivers are it's still the most important piece for Brady as it allows him to get rid of the ball immediately and saves him from the beatings that holding onto the ball causes, so once Belichick knew he could fill that role he was more than happy to say goodbye to Welker. I'm still a fan and believe he was a great player but Belichick was right to handle it the way he did. I'm a really good fan but I would bankrupt any franchise as a GM because I want to keep the players that played their asses off for them. I'm glad Belichick makes those calls because no one is better at it imo, and he's going to have his hands full trying to keep this team together after the coming season because they are going to have a major task signing many of these guys.

I never said he didn't and I enjoyed watching him and I wished he didn't go to Denver and sttod with the pats. The pats reportedly offered him more money than what he got by going to Denver. He wanted more than what the pats offered, and he thought he could get it. He ended up not judging his market correctly and by the time he came back to the pats they had already moved on to Amendola. I don't hate him at all, he wanted to sign here the pats are the ones who moved on.

The only thing you are wrong about is that the Patriots offered more, they didn't, Belichick wanted Amendola and got him, fortunately Edelman wanted to stay out Belichick would have made a big mistake by letting him walk.

Denver offered more guaranteed money and the Patriots passed on matching it.

Denver gave him $6m guaranteed over 1 year (2nd year was an option for $6m)
Pats offered him $10m guarnateed over 2 years (with an additional $6m in incentives)

Well he is back up to near 4.5M again.
It was obvious from the beginning that the 4.5 million was not going to be the final cap hit, which is the key figure for this year. If he earns 4.5 million in the end it would mean that he played not only well, but great - in which case 4.5 million is no problem at all.

It was obvious from the beginning that the 4.5 million was not going to be the final cap hit, which is the key figure for this year. If he earns 4.5 million in the end it would mean that he played not only well, but great - in which case 4.5 million is no problem at all.

Yep, I'll take a Pro Bowler ( what he would have to earn) for 4.5 million.

So, in the end, the reports got the money right and, as usual, the devil was in the details.

So, in the end, the reports got the money right and, as usual, the devil was in the details.
The question is still the details of the $2M playing time bonuses, and the $300K NLTBE bonus.

My point was that I forgot about Welker being a so-called "Patriot Killer" that came to us and played well. The reason I forgot about him is because I've mentally erased him from our team's history in my mind. His departure really upset me and his actions immediately after really soured me on him, and THEN he took Talib out of the AFCCG when we were already struggling, so I just do not like Welker at all.

But yes, he was a player that played well against us and well for us.

Not really sure what there is to disagree with, as those are facts.
If Brady wasn't pissed at him not sure why anyone else would be except for maybe Belichick. And let's be honest calling it the dirtiest play he'd ever seen or something to that effect was way over the top.

So do the NLTBE's go against the cap this year? Who decides what's NLTBE or is that a media creation?

Love the news about his REAL contract today

And according to Reiss, Wilfork gets an assist here. Thought that wedding pic was a good sign.

Strongly recommend going to Miguel's cap page - he's got it summarized there. Miguel’s Patriots Salary Cap FAQ page – Updated on 7/30/2014

This is a Winner answer from Miguel. Nice little Felger rip in there. :D

Q:Is the cap “crap”? Or, is it more accurate to say that prudent financial management will prevent shortfalls whereas spending like a drunken sailor will eventually lead to having to spend time in “cap jail”?

A:The cap is crap line is used by Mike Felger who used to cover the Patriots as a beat writer for the Boston Herald. If he had demonstrated a working knowledge of the cap while at the Herald, there would have never been a need for my cap pages. It has been more than a decade since I started my cap pages and I have doubts that he has learned anything about the salary cap since then. It is more accurate to say that prudent financial management and good health will prevent shortfalls. - See more at: Miguel’s Patriots Salary Cap FAQ page – Updated on 7/30/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back